Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I decided against InvisibleShield for my iPhone - I used it on my 3G Nano and it's kept it free from scratches, but didn't save it from getting a dent in the top corner when it fell out of my pocket when I was getting out of my car once :(. Knowing that I am very likely to drop my iPhone at some point I knew I had to get a case and spent about 45 minutes pondering which one to get in the Apple Store. In the end I went for the Gear4 IceBox Pro and it's great! It was one of the more expensive cases (£24.95) - about £10 more than many of the silicone sleeve ones. However, it allows the design of the iPhone to show through the case, and it protects the whole front face too.

I was a little concerned that it might make the iPhone too bulky, and you can see from some of the close-up pictures that the casing is about 2mm thick. However, it still fits in my pockets and I feel a lot more secure that when (not if :eek: ) I drop my iPhone, it will probably survive more or less unscathed.

There is actually quite a knack to getting the iPhone out of the case, which is hard to explain but easy when you know how - when I put it in on the first day without actually cleaning off all the fingerprints etc from my iPhone I panicked a bit because I couldn't work out how to get the case off again. However, it is possible to remove the case pretty easily. I really recommend this case!

Attachments

• DSC00958.jpg
    DSC00958.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC00959.jpg
    DSC00959.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC00960.jpg
    DSC00960.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC00961.jpg
    DSC00961.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 780
  • DSC00962.jpg
    DSC00962.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 512

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
A few more photos...

(including one of my old customised cheap and cheerful Sony-Ericsson :cool:)

Attachments

• DSC00963.jpg
    DSC00963.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00965.jpg
    DSC00965.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC00966.jpg
    DSC00966.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 357

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This case looks great. I'm looking for a case just like this. Might pick this one up.

Edit: On second thought, doesn't look like you can get it outside the U.K. Bummer.

Edit 2: Okay, looks like I can but after shipping its £31.99. That's $64 CAD. Way too much for a case. You guys pay a lot for your cases. In comparison, your Incase Slider (for iPhone 2G) is £24.95 or $50.24CAD but in Canada, we only pay $34.95CAD

GeneticFreak84

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I don't think there is any screen protection. You're gonna have to buy a screen protector.

If it's like the ivyskin case, then I believe this case covers the ENTIRE phone (including the screen). However, the plastic covering the screen still enables the touch-screen capability!

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, looking at the pictures, I don't see any sort of screen protection. Another plus for this case is that its flush with bezel unlike others like Belkin Clear Acrylic Case (Below) that comes above the bezel. I think I might just suck it up and pay the price.

1-1.jpg

Edit: On second thought, I think it does cover the entire phone now that I look it it. Damn. I was looking for a case that didn't do exactly that. I guess I stick with my original plan for full body BodyGuardz and a Vaja Leather case.

Kane Hart

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I really want know more on the screen protector if its a full screen hard plastic they sold me but if not no I will not buy.

Also like to know if its still sensitive when u touch..

Thanks

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Yes the entire front of the iPhone is covered with this case so no separate screen protector is needed-that was a big selling point for me over other clear hard cases which leave the front open. Also those other cases sort of stick out at the front with a bevel so the screen is recessed-I would find that annoying. As my photos show, this one is flat across the front with a round hole for the home button and a slot for the earpiece. The screen is protected yet is still perfectly touch sensitive-I just typed this on it!

WillMac4Food

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Arkansas
I simply am crazy for this case. It "looks" better then any of the others that I have seen. I sent an e-mail to Gear4 hopefully to try to find out how to get one of these here in the US.

After pondering over this case for a bit, I'm amazed with the design and feel of the iPhone. Now I'm curious how fast this case may show scratches? The point of the case is to protect the phone, but I like the look of the case so much that now I'm thinking about protecting it too if I can get it. I know really silly. Soon I'll just be carrying everything in a padded metal briefcase if I continue to think like this.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
This case looks pretty thick.
Well my pictures are very close up ;)
In all honesty though, it adds maybe 1.5mm to the depth and 2 or 3mm to the width of the phone. Fits in my jeans pockets no problem.

I simply am crazy for this case. It "looks" better then any of the others that I have seen. I sent an e-mail to Gear4 hopefully to try to find out how to get one of these here in the US.

After pondering over this case for a bit, I'm amazed with the design and feel of the iPhone. Now I'm curious how fast this case may show scratches? The point of the case is to protect the phone, but I like the look of the case so much that now I'm thinking about protecting it too if I can get it. I know really silly. Soon I'll just be carrying everything in a padded metal briefcase if I continue to think like this.
:D yeah I know what you mean. Well mine has no scratches yet (only had it for 3 days though...) I think small hairline scratches are inevitable, but I'd much rather they are on a removable case than on the iPhone!
The more I use it, the happier I am that I didn't go for the Belkin case with the raised bezel around the front and no screen protection (it was also £24.95 in the Apple Store, so if the Gear4 one is available in the US it should be about the same price as the Belkin case).

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
Anyone in the UK want to get this case for me, I will pay for it and pay for fast international delivery

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
I'd be interested in doing something like this as well. You UK'ers should eBay some...just sayin

Exactly, I really want this case and ASAP, I cant wait 3-4 more weeks for the case-mate...and There is no way to buy it directly, so if there is anyone from the UK, can you please post some on Ebay or sell directly, I really want to purchase this case

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
macman4291, GeneticFreak84, WillMac4Food you're all in the US? I just ask because the exchange-rate really isn't in your favour - according to the convertor widget on my dashboard £24.95 is $49.85, so you would be paying more than if the case were directly available in the US.
You can PM me though if you'd like me to help.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
macman4291, GeneticFreak84, WillMac4Food you're all in the US? I just ask because the exchange-rate really isn't in your favour - according to the convertor widget on my dashboard £24.95 is $49.85, so you would be paying more than if the case were directly available in the US.
You can PM me though if you'd like me to help.

I am aware of the exchange rate, the case mate with shipping cost over 50 bucks, so thats alright...Whats your email so we can discuss this off the board. I want to do this though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.