Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has confirmed in a Bloomberg interview that actor Christian Bale will indeed star as Steve Jobs in Sorkin's upcoming biopic based on Walter Isaacson's 2011 biography of the Apple co-founder. Bale, who was said last week to be in talks for the role, met with Sorkin but did not have to audition for the part.

"We needed the best actor on the board in a certain age range and that's Chris Bale," Sorkin told Bloomberg Television's Emily Chang on a coming edition of "Studio 1.0." "He didn't have to audition. Well, there was a meeting."
Shooting for the film will begin in the coming months in what will be a challenging role for the established actor. Bale reportedly will appear in every frame of the movie with speaking parts that exceed three movies combined. The movie will focus on three 30-minute scenes that detail three different product launches.

The movie will be released by Sony, with Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle of Slumdog Millionaire fame associated with the project.

Article Link: Christian Bale Hired for Steve Jobs Role in Sorkin Biopic Without Auditioning

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
This ought to be at least halfway decent. My biggest question is how are they planning on doing the transitions from one almost entirely unrelated event to the next? A little filler story? Just fade to black? At least there's a little acting chops behind this one.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I'm looking to the 30 minute segment in which Woz breaks his back and throws him in a pit

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I'm trusting Sorkin - one of the best screenwriters ever.. okay, mainly TV, but what TV!

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Bale will do whatever is necessary to morph himself into Steve Jobs.

Before anyone says "do we really need another Steve Jobs film" the answer is we don't need one but it will be nice to have a good one to erase that trash Ashton Kutcher did.

Boyle behind the camera and Sorkin writing is the treatment a Jobs film deserves.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Bale is a spectacular talent, so this is excellent news. He favors Jobs a bit (I’m not talking just the facial hair...) and seems to have some of the same kind of personality (perfectionist, sudden bombastic anger, etc.)

I'm trusting Sorkin - one of the best screenwriters ever.. okay, mainly TV, but what TV!

His recent[-ish] film credits are The Social Network and Moneyball, I’d say the screenwriting role is in +great+ hands :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.