Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple's PowerBook has seen the longest lead-times since revision... with the last PowerBook update released in April 2004.

Although initially predicting PowerBook updates for MWSF 2005, ThinkSecret recently revised their prediction to this Tuesday at the latest.

Despite speculation and rumors of PowerBook G5 updates, more realistic expectations predict G4 PowerBooks up to 1.5/1.67 GHz.

Recent unconfirmed hints, however, have noted that previous rumors of Dual-Core G4 processors making their way into the PowerBook may be true... with some expecting that the new PowerBooks will make use of the new dual-core G4 chips as early as this week.

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I still believe we'll see a PowerBook G5 in the following weeks. I don't think Apple would make the pros wait that long for a processor that's only 0.17 Ghz faster.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
thats much more believeable than this other junk thats been going around. I just wonder if they can put a dual core into a portable... twice the power, space and cooling.. I guess they will need the practice for the G5PB coming out on NEXT tuesday. (JKJK) Does anyone know if there has been dual processors in any laptop ever?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
sabbath999 said:
What exactly does a "dual core" processor do differently?

It has the cores of two processors. So it's basicly the speed of a dual processor system, but with only one chip (easier to cool/takes less space).

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The only problem for Apple using dual-core G4s for PowerBooks is that they will likely be more efficient -- if not downright outperform -- any G5 they can stick in there. That's a real marketing problem for them with all the hype about G5 PowerBooks. Personally I would love to see dual-core G4s put to use until the G5 is really ready for that application, which it clearly isn't yet.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. This is making me really excited. I want it to happen so much.

But I can't help thinking, haven't we been saying "Powerbook updates next tuesday!" for the past 6 months?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
virus1 said:
thats much more believeable than this other junk thats been going around. I just wonder if they can put a dual core into a portable... twice the power, space and cooling.. I guess they will need the practice for the G5PB coming out on NEXT tuesday. (JKJK) Does anyone know if there has been dual processors in any laptop ever?

They don't even sell them in desktops yet.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Coolness!!!

Dual core would ROCK and be better than a skillet power sucking G5 that so many uninformed uneducated whine about and for in these here forums. The only problem is I thought they weren't due for another quarter or so.

Those going "huh? Freescale? Dual Core?" or you annoying "G5 Rulez" types who need a bitchsmack of what the Powerbook REALLY needs, read this article at The Register. As fast as the G5, cooler than the G5, less power consumption than the G5 and, oh yes, 64 bit too!!!

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Things are starting to get very weird. Obviously Apple recognizes that customers want laptops, Steve even stated that was where the customers were looking to. But geeze it has been so long with out updates to their flagship laptop that I think something is going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Perhaps they tried for the G5 but IBM let them down. All I am looking for though is to replace my 12" Powerbook in the next year, since a Mac mini is now somewhat comparable to its specs. Please have a backlight keyboard in the 12"! Make them thicker if you have to Apple, but we are replacing our desktops with these things so we really want the power. Yeah I know it won't ever be as powerful as a desktop but, we gotta have it.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
HiRez said:
The only problem for Apple using dual-core G4s for PowerBooks is that they will likely be more efficient -- if not downright outperform -- any G5 they can stick in there. That's a real marketing problem for them with all the hype about G5 PowerBooks.

Spot on HiRez, hype that mostly seems to affect those in this forum mostly, which sorta knocks holes that Mac users are smarter than peecee lusers. So there'll still be a few clueless around here thinking G5 will save their tiny feeble worlds, no biggie, I think the bigger picture types will figure it out quickly and the public in general really wasn't sure what a G5 was that much so I think the damages would be minimal.

Apple needs a but kicking, Tiger rocking, greatly speeded up Powerbook like yesterday and the Freescale 64 bit G4 is just the ticket. If some don't get it, they're loss.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
virus1 said:

Not entirely true. A dual core can be more power efficient then a dual processor configuration. Next, the dual core processor would be based upon the 90-nm process, the current crop is running on the 130-nm. The 1.67GHz could be 90-nm as well. While IBM has had issues with the process, as has Intel, there are others that have seen an decrease in power requirements with the 90-nm process.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I would not mind having a dual-core PB. If someone was to ask what kind of laptop I had I could respond with "It's a Dual-Core Powerbook" :p ;)

Here's very wishful thinking for my PB screen or something to go dead and apple being generous to supply me with a free Dual-Core PB ;)

Of course, it is again another "this or next Tuesday" prediction. Here's hoping.

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
virus1 said:
hehe.. close. I was 17.39 milliseconds behind you.. :D

:D Dang! You must have a computer with a processor with 0.17 Ghz more than me! But it's only a year older!

I don't think Apple would do that to us. It's almost ridiculous. We have to be seeing something big in the coming weeks. Maybe not next Tuesday (Which is February 1st, not 2nd) but I assume that during the month of February. (How could TS confuse a date like that?)

I don't think it could be a dual core processor, but right now that's anybody's guess. Apple has made it clear more than once that they are/were trying to make a PowerBook G5, but the bad thing is that that's ALL they've told us. None of us has any idea what they could be working on. And timetables (??) from company's that develop processors (like freescale) don't really tell us anything. Apple would make sure to keep that specific project secret especially if it were something that was supposed to cause surprise and impact. It would be too obvious if any company made public that they were developing a mobile processor for Apple.

The rumors have been around for too long, the PowerBook G5 is going to be released, but the question is when. Let's hope it's this month.

:)

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Photorun said:
As fast as the G5, cooler than the G5, less power consumption than the G5 and, oh yes, 64 bit too!!!

Eh? AFAIK, the dual core G4 due out from Freescale is basically the old G4, updated with a new memory bus (no more being throttled by using just one of the two transfers per clock -- which is in itself a big deal; that's the single biggest bottleneck in any G4 based system manufactured to date), and with two cores on the CPU.

As fast as the G5? Quite likely. Cooler? Yes. Less power consumption? That goes hand in hand with the cooler bit. 64 bit? I have very serious doubts. But for a laptop, the dual core chip is almost certainly a better overall fit than the PowerPC 970.

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
I was about to buy a mini for use at work, mostly to save me the trouble of lugging my aging TiBook800 to work everyday. Plus the 1.42GHz mini gives more performance than the 12" PB I was looking to pick up to replace the TiBook.

Hopefully these new PowerBooks come out this Tuesday, dual core or no, I'm itchin to spend some dough! Tax refund's coming on the 11th, direct deposit!

Wonder if the 12" PB will get dual core too, or if it'll be limited to the 15" and 17". And on that note, has anyone heard anything more about the rumors that the 12" will morph into a 13" widescreen?

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
Photorun said:
Spot on HiRez, hype that mostly seems to affect those in this forum mostly, which sorta knocks holes that Mac users are smarter than peecee lusers. So there'll still be a few clueless around here thinking G5 will save their tiny feeble worlds, no biggie, I think the bigger picture types will figure it out quickly and the public in general really wasn't sure what a G5 was that much so I think the damages would be minimal.

Apple needs a but kicking, Tiger rocking, greatly speeded up Powerbook like yesterday and the Freescale 64 bit G4 is just the ticket. If some don't get it, they're loss.
Did you even read the article you posted? "will sample in H2 2005" That's the second half of this year. July at the earliest. more likely December. Sample. No mention of 64-bit (which really doesn't matter, but I'll take the DDR support.)

And while you are learning to read, maybe you should go to Freerollas website where you can see that the MPC8641D is not pin-compatable with the 7xx7 series currently in the powerbooks. Which means new motherboard. That apple can start on 2.6 or so years after they started engineering the G5 powerbook motherboard.

Did a G5 eat your puppy or something?

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I think there is more than just a bump to 1.67 GHz. It should not have taken this long. 1.73 GHz PowerPC G4's have been available in upgrade cards so I don't think G4 chip availability has something to do with it.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
meh :rolleyes: we all know apple is holding out for this big gun G5- they wouldn't wait nearly a whole year to tweek the g4 pb a tiny bit- so my prediction is if they update anything its gotta b G5- and with lots of fans like the xserve and big vents and A/C ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.