Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Yesterday, Apple released OS X Yosemite 10.10.1, which brought improved Wi-Fi reliability after a number of users reported connection issues with the new operating system. However, Computerworld reports that a number of users on Apple's support forums are still claiming to have issues with Wi-Fi even after updating to OS X 10.10.1, with some saying that they are still not able to connect at all while others note that their Wi-Fi has remained significantly slow.

The largest thread on Apple's support forums discussing the Wi-Fi problems in OS X Yosemite has grown to 1,120 replies with more users reporting issues with a number of Macs and a variety of router types. Members of the MacRumors forums have also reported problems with Wi-Fi after updating to 10.10.1 even when using their computer in different areas. One user even reported Wi-Fi issues with the iMac with Retina 5K Display and the newest Time Capsule networking device.

Currently, some users are finding success with performing a clean install of Yosemite, running their routers in "Access Point" mode, switching their connection a 2.4 GHz band, or running a user-created script to restart OS X's Wi-Fi Monitor. However, there appears to be no general solution for users still having Wi-Fi issues. In addition to Wi-Fi issues, other users are reporting problems with OS X Yosemite's Dark Mode on non-Retina displays, unstable Bluetooth connections, and high CPU utilization.

Apple has not issued an official statement on the reported users issues, although Apple support representatives have instructed users to remove excess preferred networks in the Network section of System Preferences and to reset the System Management Controller. It is likely that Apple will issue more fixes with forthcoming software updates to OS X Yosemite, although there is currently no timetable as to when those updates might come.

Article Link: Some OS X Yosemite Users Still Experiencing Wi-Fi Connection Issues Even After 10.10.1 Update

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple's best and brightest must be working on 10.11 already :rolleyes: We need a Snow Leopard type of release for next year. Yearly OS updates are gradually lowering the quality of OS X.

Cisco_Kid

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2005
British Columbia
"Apple support representatives have instructed users to remove excess preferred networks in the Network section of System Preferences"

Yeah, because that makes my life so much easier when travelling with my laptops through multiple networks everyday....

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
My rMBP retina is on 10.10.1.
But my main machine that I use only for my work is still on 10.6.8. And it will remain like that for as long as possible (web development).

Apple has failed since Snow Leopard, Lion was a disaster, ML was improvement, as was Mavericks, but still not even near Snow Leopard. Of course, SL wasn't always that good, but they took their sweet time and polished it over time with excellent updates.

Now this year cycle doesn't give them a chance to do so as well. Shame, since I really love OSX. But if they continue on with this route, I wouldn't mind migrating to Linux again. At least for my work computer.

Fondaparinux

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2013
Apple's best and brightest must be working on 10.11 already :rolleyes: We need a Snow Leopard type of release for next year. Yearly OS updates are gradually lowering the quality of OS X.

Wasn't Mavericks already the "Snow Leopard type" of release?

Most of it's features were refinements.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

I would not be opposed to longer intervals between releases if it increased stability, but I wonder how perfect the sacred snow leopard was when it was released, and more specifically, how happy everybody was with it.

Somehow, I doubt we would see unrelenting praise and content in the comments back in 2009...

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Far from it...

Mavericks introduced many clever performance efficiency techniques and very few gimmicks. Personally, I would consider Lion the worst release of OSX of all time.

It contained nothing useful, and instead we got clutter like social media integration, an intrusive notification centre, Launchpad (even more pointless than the already never used Dashboard) and a MAJOR decrease in performance.

Mountain Lion felt like a patch for Lions mistakes. Mavericks felt far more luxurious than either of the two and was very solid overall, in my personal experience.

pendragon1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Tim Cook really should resign. iOS problems, Yosemite problems, screen issues on new iPhone, creaky cases on rMPB. This company is falling apart. The last two apple products I bought had to be replaced multiple times.

I'm definitely not upgrading to Yosemite any time soon. Maybe 10.10.2?

Yellowbean12

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
At work, my WiFi drops out every ~20 seconds, and then reconnects a few seconds later. It does this literally ALL DAY LONG, and it's driving me insane. It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything that I'm doing - it just seems completely random, and completely intermittent.

The latest update definitely has improved it - sometimes it'll stay connected for up to 30 minutes before it starts the dropping out malarkey. But I mean... COME ON.

One very confusing thing is that my WiFi at home works 100% on the same laptop. So I've no idea if the problem even lies with my laptop, or the WiFi at work. On the other hand though, my iPhone has no trouble with the WiFi either at work or at home, which suggests the laptop is at fault - but only with work WiFi. So I'm completely lost.

iPaulie81

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
Mavericks introduced many clever performance efficiency techniques and very few gimmicks. Personally, I would consider Lion the worst release of OSX of all time.

It contained nothing useful, and instead we got clutter like social media integration, an intrusive notification centre, Launchpad (even more pointless than the already never used Dashboard) and a MAJOR decrease in performance.

Mountain Lion felt like a patch for Lions mistakes. Mavericks felt far more luxurious than either of the two and was very solid overall, in my personal experience.

I would have stayed on Mavericks if it did not cause kernel panics on my Late 2013 RMBP. Yosemite fixed that problem however I now lose WAN/Internet connectivity at random. WIFI always is connected but I continue to have dropouts to the net. never had that issue on Mavericks.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
my wifi dies every day once and i have to reboot the router for it to start working again, i think it is losing the IP and cannot find a new one. its really irritating cuz my family claims it does not happen when i am not around (which is basically during the week) but as soon as i am back home with my iDevices. the router starts acting out

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Tim Cook really should resign. iOS problems, Yosemite problems, screen issues on new iPhone, creaky cases on rMPB. This company is falling apart. The last two apple products I bought had to be replaced multiple times.

I can tell you that Apple are not falling apart. At all.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

Screen issues on the new iPhones? I live I the iPhone forums and own a iPhone 6 plus. Sure they may have been some phones replaced of the 10 million and counting they sold but it sure is not enough to call it a "screen issue" with the new iPhone.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Not surprised here. Then again, I'm getting wi-fi issues with my 2014 Retina MacBook Pro still running 10.9.x Mavericks and my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2.

Maybe Apple really needs to start over with this?

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Not a single WiFi issue with Macs and iPhone from signature. (10.10 / iOS 8.1)

TP-ink routers
NetGear routers
Cisco routers
Hotspot links
Random bars and coffee shops

....not a single one.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It's not as if they don't have the hardware to test it on.. this is the whole point in Macs - OS and hardware developed by the same people. If they don't have old Macs in a test lab somewhere so they can make sure their new OS runs on it as advertised, then they're useless. But I think that's the case, especially with iOS releases.. as long as it works on the latest hardware.

I've not had any WiFi issues on my early 2011 MacBook Pro or 2012 Mac mini. Some folks with MacBook Airs are having problems though.

You can't blame the WiFi network if it was working fine until they updated to Yosemite. Apple has a tendency to break things and take ages to work out how they broke it. I often wonder about their development team.. Don't get me started on how messed up SMB is at times!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
No wifi, bluetooth, or other problems to report after upgrading to Yosemite. 2010 MBA and 2013 rMBP here. I, actually, have nothing to complain about and am generally a happy chap.

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
I do not have Wi-Fi issues on my MacBook Air 13" 2011, but i do have UI lags. When you open up a stack on the dock, animation lags horribly, also notification center is laggy when scrolling, though every other animation is smooth (mission control, even stacks in grid mode). I went to the Apple store and all of the macs displayed (retina 13,15 mbp, air) worked perfectly. I guess only latest hardware matters for Apple, i really don't believe that 2011 MBA can't handle these little animations.. Getting lags on opening a stack lol.. This is just ridiculous, they just don't care, upgrade or die i guess... :D

Does anyone with 2011 MBA 13" experience UI sluggishness ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.