Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:07 AM   #1
eddiebrock
macrumors member

How to listen to ANY live audio stream/audio of ANY live video stream on your iPhone

Yes, you can stream any radio station, audio of any video feed--I just did this last night. Requires quite a bit of stuff and is a little complicated but is well worth it if you already have the following tools or are willing to get these. This should become smaller as software becomes compatible for windows and or Mac.

What you need:

A Wi-Fi connection or Edge
A computer running windows
A computer running Mac
Tversity (www.tversity.com) - Free, for windows only - you can eliminate the "computer running windows" requirement once they release their OS X version.
NiceCast (www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast)--costs $40 and is WELL WORTH THE COST for other stuff too -- easiest way to broadcast any sound coming out of your speakers as a radio station. For Mac OS X only
ShoutCast server (http://www.shoutcast.com/download/files.phtml)
An IPhone (duh)

1.) On the Mac computer, start the live stream that you want to listen to on your iphone
2.) Make sure port 8000 and 41952 are open on your connection.
3.) Get shoutcast server running on your Mac (it will use a terminal screen and keep running - sorry, no GUI)
4.) Open up NiceCast and select a new server (instead of the Built-in server) and under server type, pick Shoutcast and put in "changeme" for the password (the account is left blank and obviously don't inlcude the quotation marks for changeme).
5.) Go to the broadcast window and start broadcasting, your should then be on air.
6.) In NiceCast go to "Share" and note the address it gives you to access the stream externally (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8000/listen.pls) The stream HAS TO END IN PLS.
7.) Go to your windows box and open TVersity. Start the TVersity server there and add your newly created pls stream to the list of "Audio URLs." Hit the refresh looking button (between the play button and the address of the stream).
8.) Now go to your iPhone. Type in the same IP address as before but with a different ending and port: (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:41952/iphone). You should get an iPhone-ized menu for TVersity. Navigate to Audio, then Internet URLs, and you should see your stream there. Tap it once and wait a minute or so.
9.) After a minute or two you will see a little quicktime button with a tiny play button appear on an otherwise blank web page. Click the play button.
10.) A QuickTime window will pick up and will start loading. If all goes well, your audio will start broadcasting. If you get a message "Server not responding,".....BE PERSISTENT. It WILL work after a few times and will be unbelievable. You can check to make sure the configuration is cool by testing the stream in the "Library" part of TVersity.

HINT: Make sure your bitrate in NiceCast is relatively low quality. Like 22 kbps or something. Not something extremely high.

Hope this helps. I can confirm this works, if you guys need "proof" or whatever I'll make a video. Enjoy!!!!

Last edited by eddiebrock; Sep 20, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
eddiebrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
D1G1T4L
macrumors 68000

Was working on my Windows machine tonight and redownloading TVersity and was shocked to see they had an iPhone version already. Set it up and works great. Just got back from sitting on the front porch streaming some video's.

I don't know why I didn't think to check earlier.

This is a great program if you have audio, video, pictures on a computer at home and want to stream it out.
D1G1T4L is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone