Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac OS X Tiger Notes

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

As previously reported Mac OS X Tiger has started shipping and the first users are posting their screenshots and experiences with the new version of Mac OS X.

The final build is confirmed to be 8A428, the same as that being distributed illegally in P2P circles. Of note, Apple's legal representation has sent cease and desist letters to at least one of the offending Bittorrent distribution sites.

Quote:
"Apple also demands all information related to the identity of the persons who created such torrent files and/or who uploaded the software referenced by those torrent files, as well as the identities of all individuals who participated in the uploading and downloading of Apple's software."
The site in question, however, does not appear to be taking the threat seriously.

Regardless, legitimate copies of Mac OS X have been distributed to end users at this time. MacRumors' forums have undergone a reorganization and all Tiger discussion can take place in the consolidated Mac OS X Forum. Please post your questions and experiences there. As always, please do not post any information on illegal distribution of copyrighted software.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Josh396
macrumors 65816

Good it here some people are already getting their copies. To bad I have to wait until Friday.
Josh396 is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

As previously reported Mac OS X Tiger has started shipping and the first users are posting their screenshots and experiences with the new version of Mac OS X.

The final build is confirmed to be 8A428, the same as that being distributed illegally in P2P circles. Of note, Apple's legal representation has sent cease and desist letters to at least one of the offending Bittorrent distribution sites.

The site in question, however, does not appear to be taking the threat seriously.
I'm not surprised. Parasites!
iJaz is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Bubbasteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh396
Good it here some people are already getting their copies. To bad I have to wait until Friday.
Yeah, but It's gonna be awesome
Bubbasteve is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Pretty please, with sugar on the top, if anyone wants to get in to the whole piracy and legality http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/m...s_noitisnt.gif debate, carry it on in this thread

Last edited by edesignuk; Apr 24, 2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I am an idiot, link fixed.
edesignuk is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:29 PM   #6
scheming
macrumors member

Thumbs up

i was anti-apple for a while until microsoft releases sp2 for windows xp. i think apple's pricing on tiger is very reasonable and there is even sites similar to *********.com that are giving away osx tiger for free. i respect apple for their pursuance of people distributing the software early, especially since it had to start with an employee of theirs.
scheming is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:38 PM   #7
thedoc1111
macrumors regular

Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Compulsory registration is also not nice...

Last edited by thedoc1111; Apr 24, 2005 at 12:43 PM.
thedoc1111 is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:43 PM   #8
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
Pretty please, with sugar on the top, if anyone wants to get in to the whole piracy and legality http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/m...s_noitisnt.gif debate, carry it on in this thread
It's pretty difficult to do so in that thread.

Anyway, I really hope Tiger gets here by Friday, as I was thinking about picking it up at the store, but I decided to preorder it instead. I dunno if I'll be able to take another day of waiting.

The BitTorrent bug as almost bitten me a few times before, but I've resisted thus far.

5 more days to go.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:44 PM   #9
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
It's going to be really exciting to read people's experiences and see the first few screenshots. Although I'm holding off purchasing Tiger for right now, I think that it won't take long to persuade me to get a copy once all the news and reviews start coming out.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:47 PM   #10
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc1111
Having received Tiger, I'm not that impressed - Finder has crashed a few times, all the elements in some Cocoa applications can be 'focussed' by pressing Tab repeatedly, but to no real effect as they cannot be manipulated and my Bluetooth headset no longer works. I've also yet to find a compelling use for Dashboard and Mail's new look is appallingly inconsistent.

What's more, on my PB 1.33GHz there is no real discernable speed-up, especially compared to Jaguar --> Panther and this is on a clean install.

Interesting, thanks for posting the feedback. It is reasons like this why I am holding back on purchasing Tiger right away. I'll let some of the issues and bugs present themselves and get fixed before I buy. And also, if the overall user experience is disappointing based on some reviews, that will make it easier to wait, as at the moment, I have no complaints whatsoever with Panther.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:59 PM   #11
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Question

Quote:

How is the registration "Compulsory"?
blackcrayon is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:01 PM   #12
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon
How is the registration "Compulsory"?
When you install it, there is no skip button on the registration screen....unless I'm going blind
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:05 PM   #13
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
When you install it, there is no skip button on the registration screen....unless I'm going blind
Ahh... You need to hit "command-option-Q" (it used to be just plain "command-Q".

Wonder why the change... (instead of just removing it completely if they don't want you to be able to avoid it).
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:06 PM   #14
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
I assume this is simply an anti-piracy feature then? Don't remember having that on Panther...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:14 PM   #15
mnkeybsness
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to mnkeybsness
out of curiosity, does anyone know what bit torrent site this is talking about?

---NEVERMIND---
The site is a swedish tracker that is known for never taking legal threats seriously because there is some legal loophole in Sweden that doesn't follow much for international copyright laws.

Last edited by mnkeybsness; Apr 24, 2005 at 01:17 PM.
mnkeybsness is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:15 PM   #16
ryan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ryan Send a message via MSN to ryan Send a message via Yahoo to ryan
I signed up for the Tiger Early Release program so I've had a chance to play some of the betas, but what I haven't been able to figure out is whether or not I'm entitled to a free copy of the final release version. Anyone have any insights?

Thanks!
ryan is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:16 PM   #17
whenpaulsparks
macrumors regular

where are screenshots? i havent seen any.
whenpaulsparks is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:20 PM   #18
rockthecasbah
macrumors 68020

If someone was really smart, they would put their copy on ebay, then just buy another copy and make huge profit, possibly enough to get the actual OS cost as free! That's what I'd do anyway, there are a ton of Mac Nuts who'd pay big bucks . But i guess by the time it would ship, it would be available in stores....oh well it was a thought.
"Ignore her, she's a feminist"
rockthecasbah is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:39 PM   #19
Blue Moon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah
If someone was really smart, they would put their copy on ebay, then just buy another copy and make huge profit, possibly enough to get the actual OS cost as free! That's what I'd do anyway, there are a ton of Mac Nuts who'd pay big bucks . But i guess by the time it would ship, it would be available in stores....oh well it was a thought.
Not the brightest of ones either. Don't forget there are fees involved with listing things on the internet and if you are selling a product before it has been released on the market (unless you are promising simply to ship upon release of the product) that would be illegal and not tolerated on ebay. This is all not to mention the fact that the amount of work you'd have to commit yourself to and the number of copies you would have to sell just in order to make a decent profit would make the whole derned enterprise nigh unworth the effort.

Last edited by Blue Moon; Apr 24, 2005 at 01:48 PM.
Blue Moon is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:45 PM   #20
geminister
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeybsness
out of curiosity, does anyone know what bit torrent site this is talking about?

---NEVERMIND---
The site is a swedish tracker that is known for never taking legal threats seriously because there is some legal loophole in Sweden that doesn't follow much for international copyright laws.
that is quite inaccurate, to say the least. the loophole only makes it legal for the tracker-sites to run as usual. the act of downloading/sharing a torrent isnt legal though, but it's quite hard to trace.

since the tracker-sites do not violate swedish law, they do not have to give away information about users to anyone.

i can understand why the tracker itself feels the need to ridicule these threats, because it is quite arrogant of all these american lawfirms not to check what the legislation is like in the country they send these letters to.

and when it comes to all other forms of copyright, sweden is in line with the international standards.
geminister is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:53 PM   #21
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Ja Di ksw
I can't wait for my copy to come. It says on or before 4 /28, but it also says its still processing the order .

Hopefully Apple will win against this site. Why can't they just track down users who have gotten an illegally shared copy? I would think that they'd be able to tell if two computers had it from the same DVD, if they were both hooked up to the net.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 01:57 PM   #22
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Di ksw
I can't wait for my copy to come. It says on or before 4 /28, but it also says its still processing the order .

Hopefully Apple will win against this site. Why can't they just track down users who have gotten an illegally shared copy? I would think that they'd be able to tell if two computers had it from the same DVD, if they were both hooked up to the net.

No they wouldn't, because they don't use unique serial #s to register or to identify their operating system.

Of course, the installed OS X could report the serial # of the mac it's installed on back to Apple, but that would raise all sorts of privacy issues and be a really bad idea...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:22 PM   #23
sirjimithy1
macrumors member

Quote:
No they wouldn't, because they don't use unique serial #s to register or to identify their operating system.

Of course, the installed OS X could report the serial # of the mac it's installed on back to Apple, but that would raise all sorts of privacy issues and be a really bad idea...
Yeah, one Microsoft is enough for me. At least Apple realizes that the little bit of money you do save with anti-piracy efforts isn't worth pissing off the people who legitimately purchase the OS.
sirjimithy1 is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:25 PM   #24
Ja Di ksw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Ja Di ksw
Quote:

So why not use unique serial #'s? I would laugh if Apple did with this OS, but didn't tell people and then caught everyone who had an illegal copy.

I can see it raising privacy issues to report the serial # of the mac its on, but what else would make it a "really bad idea"?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:27 PM   #25
NEENAHBOY
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Until we see some shots, how do we know you've even received it?
NEENAHBOY is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)