Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:55 PM   #1
mtrctyjoe
macrumors 6502

Mac Mini Rev. B - When??

OK I got to get this started... I want to get a mini.... but looks like it may be up for a Rev - the question is... when?
mtrctyjoe is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 03:07 PM   #2
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrctyjoe
OK I got to get this started... I want to get a mini.... but looks like it may be up for a Rev - the question is... when?
Im waiting too should be at MAc world on the 28th of this month or at latest in september in Paris... Or maybe apple could spring us with an update anyone of these days. Whatever happens it should be soon and should happen at the same time as the iBook gets updated.

ShaDOW
shadowmoses is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Willy S
macrumors 6502

1. Apple cannot upgrade the iBooks without upgrading the Powerbooks, since the difference between them would be too little.

2. Apple upgraded the PBs only 4 months ago and I doubt there will be an update soon.

3. Mini: My guess is that it will not be updated yet. It is the cheapest Mac and its buyers are not as hardware demanding as others. So I think Apple is going to wait at least until September.

Apple wants to make as much money out of its business and therefore it might not be logical to decrease the margins by upgrading the Mini.
Willy S is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 03:49 PM   #4
echeck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy S
1. Apple cannot upgrade the iBooks without upgrading the Powerbooks, since the difference between them would be too little.
I disagree. A few updates ago the iBook was updated to the same G4 as the 12" PowerBook. Everyone at that time was saying how stupid Apple was for doing that because where's the incentive to pay the extra money for a PowerBook? Well, Apple still did it and I don't think it really hurt their sales.

So Apple could very well update the iBook again soon and close the gap a little more with the PowerBooks until they get another speed bump, which I believe they will before they get outfitted with new Intels.

As for the Mac Mini, I'm waiting for the update as well. I was hoping the update would come last Monday or Tuesday, but obviously it didn't happen. Now I think it will either just come randomly or it will come at Paris in September, though I hope Steve doesn't force me to wait that long to give him my money!
echeck is offline   0
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:22 PM   #5
chameeeleon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmoses
Im waiting too should be at MAc world on the 28th of this month
Is Apple attending Macworld Boston this year? Do they have a Keynote scheduled or something? When did I miss this news?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:42 PM   #6
echeck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameeeleon
Is Apple attending Macworld Boston this year? Do they have a Keynote scheduled or something? When did I miss this news?
I don't think Apple will be there, I think some people are hoping it might be a good time to release updates.
echeck is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:22 AM   #7
mtrctyjoe
macrumors 6502

6-8 Days Estimated Ship?? Interesting...

I just priced out a 1.42 Mini w/AP/BT, Super Drive, 512M. 6-8 days? Seems a bit odd to me.....
mtrctyjoe is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:49 AM   #8
tom5304
macrumors regular

Yep, just about any change to the stock mini will bump up the ship time to "6-8 days." That does seem a little odd. That wasn't the case just a week or so ago. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a stock mini, but the thought of buying one a week or two before a revision really has me in doubt...

Tom
tom5304 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:52 AM   #9
Willy S
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I just priced out a 1.42 Mini w/AP/BT, Super Drive, 512M. 6-8 days? Seems a bit odd to me.....
If you order an eMac w/AP/BT you have to wait 1-3 days. Both Mini and eMac will ship same day if you buy them without AP/BT.

Apple is not going to update the eMac and maybe there is just a shortage of AP/BT?
Willy S is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:12 AM   #10
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
They switched the Mac Mini to ship with Tiger when they upgraded the eMacs, iMacs and PowerMacs. I guess that's all consumers can hope for at the moment, but I suppose we can dream of a "Super" Mac Mini coming soon.
steve_hill4 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:47 AM   #11
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

When ordering anything but a standard mini the shipping time now goes upto 7 days at least in the UK apple store, is this a promising sign of a new release next week as they look like they want to get rid of the stock mini's.

Shadow
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:49 AM   #12
_DsK_
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to _DsK_
Argh, this thread has ut me into serious doubts about purchasing a mac mini now. I decided to price up the 1.4ghz mini, however added 512mb ram, and delivery shot up to a week, quite odd really
_DsK_ is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Gordy
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the next revision of the mini as I want to get one as my main rig and I need a better graphics card for my 20in tft really.

Something around the spec of my powerbook (1.5ghz/1.25gb/80Gb/Superdrive/64mb gfx) would be nice, or an intel pentium m would be even better!
Gordy is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:09 PM   #14
tom5304
macrumors regular

So there's no question that the shipping time for the non-stock mini has shot up from 2-3 days to 6-8 days. The question now is "why." Is it just a short-term supply or manufacturing blip, or is there a mini revision coming up? Inquiring minds want to know. I'll keep searching around on other sites for any helpful info.

Tom
tom5304 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:24 PM   #15
adrianjt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DsK_
Argh, this thread has ut me into serious doubts about purchasing a mac mini now. I decided to price up the 1.4ghz mini, however added 512mb ram, and delivery shot up to a week, quite odd really

bt & 512ram was my "custom order" it arrived about a month ago, that was 8 days to ship to sydney (from singapore i was told), maybe time lapse has something to do with price...

still a bargain for a home desktop, esp with a new crisp 19"
adrianjt is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:35 PM   #16
_DsK_
macrumors newbie

Im sure Apple must have some standard 1.4 minis in the UK, and ram is, well, not so hard to get, although if coming direct from signapore, i guess its possible

Im hopng for a GPU upgrade, as im slightly worried it may lag a little running my Dell 2405 at its native res of 1920 x 1200.

Anyway, ive cancelled for now, i can wait a bit...
_DsK_ is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:25 PM   #17
echeck
macrumors 68000

Well, I personally will take this shipping delay to mean that there's an update coming soon. At least I sure hope there is.

Every other update has been preceded by build to order shipping delays, hopefully this is the same sign.

What's odd is that the iBook is way overdue for an update as well, but there doesn't seem to be any shipping delays on it at all, either stock or BTO.
echeck is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:27 PM   #18
sk8erboy
macrumors regular

i smell an update..
cant wait for next tuesday... it might just be my lucky week !
*lick.*
sk8erboy is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:28 PM   #19
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Does any have an idea when the iPods are going to be updated. I thought they were going to update them at WWDC butt i guess not
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:35 PM   #20
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameeeleon
MacWorld Boston isn't until July 11th. Apple hasn't said that it isn't attending as an exhibit. There definitely won't be a Keynote until Steve's personality changes or there is business pressure. Apple cant afford to deny its East Coast customers.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:37 PM   #21
mtrctyjoe
macrumors 6502

Next Tuesday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erboy
i smell an update..
cant wait for next tuesday... it might just be my lucky week !
*lick.*
OK...... what is happening next Tuesday?
mtrctyjoe is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 01:59 PM   #22
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

Quote:
OK...... what is happening next Tuesday?
Hopefully a REV B mac Mini....!!!!PLEASE APPLE!!!

ShadoW
Old Jun 9, 2005, 02:08 PM   #23
_DsK_
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmoses
Hopefully a REV B mac Mini....!!!!PLEASE APPLE!!!

ShadoW
But what makes you think it will be next Tuesday, whats so significant about that day (excuse my ignornace, im new to all the mac stuff and have only recently been reading up on teh Apple side so not that good with all the dayes of things and rumours)

EDIT: ahh just saw the suspicions about the ibook for next tuesday!

Last edited by _DsK_; Jun 9, 2005 at 03:15 PM.
_DsK_ is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 03:00 PM   #24
jope76
macrumors member

A local mac store where I live have special deals on Mac Mini right now, 512mb memory upgrade for free, ends june 16.....
jope76 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 03:11 PM   #25
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

THese shipping delays seem very promising. Hopefully we will se a new mini with a better graphics card, 512mb as standard and possibly some more USB ports...

ShadOW

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)