Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:12 AM   #101
voicegy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by buffsldr
Rower,
I was at the Fashion Valley store. I thought about going to the UTC one for the grand opening and the t-shirt, but it was too far from my hotel.
Cool. I was at FV at 10:00 as well...figured I'd skip the long lines and go later on before midnight...saw a lot of equipment and copies of Panther goin' out the door!
voicegy is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:17 AM   #102
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by buffsldr
Rower,
I was at the Fashion Valley store. I thought about going to the UTC one for the grand opening and the t-shirt, but it was too far from my hotel. As it was, I had to take the blue line from 5th ave to the mall at 10 pm. That was enough for me. How was it? Did you get a t-shirt?

It was pretty fun for me considering I have missed out on all previous events in town (Fashion Valley opening, Jaguar release, etc.). My fiancée and I (yes, she waited in line with me) both got shirts.

Interesting to see the new Myriad font spreading out into the shirts now, too. All the others I've seen are in Garamond.

Hope you had a good time here. How about our weather lately?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:32 AM   #103
HybridTheory
macrumors newbie

Hey, I was also at the Apple Store UTC (La Jolla, CA) opening. Here are the pics I got:

http://vance.palioxis.com/2003_10_01...15222378861681

While I was in line, a father and daughter were walking by the Store and the father noted, "Huh, it seems the Disney Store is gone." The kid starts bawling - seriously. She cried for a solid 5 minutes, probably. Again, sad, but immensely funny. There you have it folks, a lifelong Windows user has just been created.

Apple Store UTC Opening Pics

CAVERN TAN - The Vance Tran Web Site

The United Elbows of Fury

Last edited by HybridTheory; Oct 26, 2003 at 02:43 AM.
HybridTheory is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:36 AM   #104
Iconocat
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Iconocat
More from Clarendon, VA

More of the same sort of pix from the event! I did manage to get one of the Segway at our event as well as my own Panther when I got home claiming my stuff as his own while I was doing my install.

Had a great time, too bad I didn't recognise anyone from the forum. I even saw posts from the store I was on the forum but couldn't find anyone. Anyone ever go to the local MUG meetings?

Pictures from Clarendon Apple Store event - Arlington, VA
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:39 AM   #105
Phil Of Mac
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phil Of Mac
Re: More from Clarendon, VA

Quote:
Originally posted by Iconocat
More of the same sort of pix from the event! I did manage to get one of the Segway at our event as well as my own Panther when I got home claiming my stuff as his own while I was doing my install.

Had a great time, too bad I didn't recognise anyone from the forum. I even saw posts from the store I was on the forum but couldn't find anyone. Anyone ever go to the local MUG meetings?

Pictures from Clarendon Apple Store event - Arlington, VA
Aww, how did you get your cat to pose like that!? Or did you just put the Panther CDs down next to where the cat was anyway? We have a couple cats back home. The grey one might stay still long enough for a picture, but not our black kitty.
Phil Of Mac is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:46 AM   #106
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

HybridTheory-

You must have been up towards the front of the line (my assistant at work, mc68k, was about 20th in line and I can see him in one of your interior shots. I was back by Starbucks...

I think I overheard someone talking about the Disney store, too, but I don't recall any crying about it.

Also, I noticed on your blog you mention that you're a "switch-backer" because of your slow iBook. What do you think about the new G4 iBooks? Pretty tempting, eh? Then you can ditch your HP laptop...
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:57 AM   #107
HybridTheory
macrumors newbie

Hell yeah, Rower,

For me, those little G4 iBooks are the most tempting product in Apple's line right now. Plus, I can get it with an educational discount for $999 (gotta have the combo drive http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/computers/hardware/apple.htm

But it's still a lot of money to drop when I already have a laptop. I actually won both the iPod and iBook in a contest, and traded the iBook for my roommate's HP. The HP has been giving me grief lately though. It's heavy, so I can't really carry it when I already have a pack full of books. Also, the battery has been acting strangely (I put the HP to sleep, but the battery drains to 0 once I open it up a few minutes later).

Apple Store UTC Opening Pics

CAVERN TAN - The Vance Tran Web Site

The United Elbows of Fury

Last edited by HybridTheory; Oct 26, 2003 at 03:00 AM.
HybridTheory is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 03:36 AM   #108
Iconocat
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Iconocat
Re: Re: More from Clarendon, VA

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Aww, how did you get your cat to pose like that!? Or did you just put the Panther CDs down next to where the cat was anyway? We have a couple cats back home. The grey one might stay still long enough for a picture, but not our black kitty.
When I was waiting on the install, I put my stuff on the floor to take a pic of it all.. and that's when my cat came up and plopped down on top of it. I thought it was too perfect!! His name is Lalas, btw.. he has a red tabby twin sister named Lexi.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:34 PM   #109
meghop
macrumors member

Re: No edu discount at South Coast Plaza (Cali)

Quote:
Originally posted by kinless
My buddy and I waited in line for 2 hours, and we finally get to the counter and the girl tells us "Sorry, we don't accept student discounts on software. Go online to get it." Well, of course we ended up NOT buying it because $60 is a lot of money to us poor college students. I was taking a risk buying the software anyway because I own a Beige G3 and was counting on 3rd-party "fixes" to get it working.

I wish we would have known that BEFORE we went. Just 5 months earlier we went to the same store and got our edu discount on our iPods, so who was to think they'd reject us this time around?

And now I hear some stores accepted the edu + 10%! Stupid SCP. I shoulda gone to Fashion Island. -_-
Just to clarify, all Apple retail stores, regardless of location, give educational discounts on hardware only . To obtain educational software discounts, you always have to go online. That's the way it's been since the retail stores opened - I ordered my edu copy online and got it quickly, so here's hoping you get yours quick too. I thought I would tell you so you know for future purchases, sorry you couldn't buy it then.
meghop is offline   0
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:55 PM   #110
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmit
So i geeked out and snagged some pics of the Cambridgeside store. Some are wicked blurry, because, well, they were taken with my phone. But still, you get the idea:

Cambrdigeside, Boston MA
Nice pictures tsmit. I was at the CambridgeSide last year for the Jaguar opening. This year decided to go to the Chestnut Hill Mall because it's only about 10 minutes from my house and has free parking. I got in line at 7pm with my wife and we were first.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 03:15 PM   #111
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Really dumb for them to charge for iChat. Feel a bit like they lured us into iChat so they could charge us for it later. Lame.
DesterWallaboo is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 03:18 PM   #112
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by DesterWallaboo
Really dumb for them to charge for iChat. Feel a bit like they lured us into iChat so they could charge us for it later. Lame.
They said from the very beginning that it would be a pay update for Jaguar users once it went to the final version. How is that "luring"?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 03:39 PM   #113
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

No... I'm talking about iChat as a whole. I move over to iChat and dumped my other chat programs under 1.0... assuming that iChat would always be a free chat program. Lo and behold they release iChat AV and introduce not only new features, but a nice price tag with it as well. Lured you in with 1.0 so they can charge you on 2.0.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 03:43 PM   #114
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
No... I'm talking about iChat as a whole. I move over to iChat and dumped my other chat programs under 1.0... assuming that iChat would always be a free chat program. Lo and behold they release iChat AV and introduce not only new features, but a nice price tag with it as well. Lured you in with 1.0 so they can charge you on 2.0.
Ah, I see your point. I see it more as an OS-bundled app in that respect, so I don't have a problem with it. Buying Panther gets you iChat AV plus all the other new features...you actually save money!
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:00 PM   #115
Phil Of Mac
Banned

If you stay with Panther and with iChat 1.0, you can continue to use it forever for no charge. Apple never promised you a free upgrade to the world's first viable and cheap video conferencing app.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:09 PM   #116
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

No... but one could easily draw the conclusion that it was the implication from Apple from the outset. Do you think they are going to start charging for Safari in the next few months? I mean, they have never said either way. Pretty much the same scenario as the way iChat was originally introduced as a free download.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:11 PM   #117
Phil Of Mac
Banned

Quote:
No... but one could easily draw the conclusion that it was the implication from Apple from the outset.
Actually, it technically was. iChat was bundled with Jaguar and was not available for 10.1. iChat AV was not only bundled with Panther, it's even available for Jaguar, for a price. So things have actually improved on that front.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:16 PM   #118
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Ahh... now I think you jogged my memory. I now believe you're right that iChat was introduced with Jaguar.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:19 PM   #119
m.r.m.
macrumors regular

i´m a total mac newbie (still waiting for his first powerbook), so please bear with me, but does ichat work like trillian in the sense that you can combine a couple of messaging programs (icq,...). all my friends use icq on the pc (as i do myself) and i was wondering if i could incorporate my contacts in some way. thanks.
m.r.m. is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:23 PM   #120
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Actually... it only works with other iChat members and AOL Instant Messenger clients. It's nice for local area network messaging as it uses Rendezvous for painless finding of others using iChat on your network.

However, if you are looking for a program like Trillian under MacOS X you can use a tool called PROTEUS. Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and you can download the baby for free.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:26 PM   #121
m.r.m.
macrumors regular

cheers dester!
m.r.m. is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:35 PM   #122
Phil Of Mac
Banned

iChat connects to AIM, which interconnects with ICQ.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:40 PM   #123
m.r.m.
macrumors regular

so i can use ichat on my mac to talk to people registered to icq? sorry if this is redundant.
m.r.m. is offline   0
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:43 PM   #124
Phil Of Mac
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by m.r.m.
so i can use ichat on my mac to talk to people registered to icq? sorry if this is redundant.
Yes, as long as they're using the latest ICQ client.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:13 AM   #125
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Re: $20 .Mac Coupon

Quote:
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
In another thread I mentioned how the $20 Apple Store coupon I got for renewing my .mac subscription wasn't working on the Apple Store for Education.

Well, I just called the 800-MYAPPLE number and it is valid. Some screwup is keeping it from working via the web store.

Soooo, Panther for $49! :-D
Well, my credit card charge did not show the $20 discount so I called them back and now they tell me that the coupon is not usable on the Education store.

Luckily the guy I talked to was able to get his manager to approve a $20 refund to my card to make up for the confusion.
eric_n_dfw is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)