Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 22, 2004, 02:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WWDC Product Releases?

With Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference approaching (June 28th), speculation has been building with respect to new product releases at the conference. As a developer's conference, however, consumer product introductions are the exception rather than the rule. Of course, last year Apple did introduce the PowerMac G5 at WWDC.

New Displays

Long awaited, and long rumored display upgrades are said to be imminent. Specs have been posted offering sizes ranging from 20" to 30". The new displays are described to adopt an aluminum design to match the current PowerMac line.

Pricing is said to top out at $2999 for the 30" model.

iMac G5?

Reports continue to indicate that the next iMac revision will sport a G5 processor.

A newer report has claimed that the new iMac will have a case redesign and incorporate a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Tablet/Hanging/Interactive

Whispers continue to trickle in about a more ambitious project at Apple... with seemingly related information coming in from various sources. Again, not many details are available, but reports of hangable and interactive displays are keeping things interesting.

Other unconfirmed whispers include a partnership with TiVO and possible confirmation of recent speculation of AirTunes enabled iPod technology.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:03 PM   #2
nsb3000
macrumors 6502

Talking I'm excited about seeing 10.4

I think new displays and a new iMacs are going to happen. The vertical Pizza box design sounds interesting. I am sure Apple will blow me away. As for the tablet I will believe it when I see it.

But I'm am mostly looking forward to seeing what is in 10.4. Apple's true brilliance comes across in software design...they have never ceased to impress me with there operating system upgrades.

WWDC is coming!

Last edited by nsb3000; Jun 22, 2004 at 04:32 PM.
nsb3000 is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:05 PM   #3
CubaTBird
macrumors 68020

Talking ipod!

me want new ipod! LOL!
CubaTBird is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Bhennies
macrumors 6502

sounds good, but if the 30" is going to be 2999, it seems like we may not see much of a price drop on the 23". I mean, if the 23" went down to 1499 or so, why would anyone pay another 1500 for the 30", when they could just buy two 23" for the same price? I hope the 23" gets a price drop, cause I'm buyin!
Bhennies is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:08 PM   #5
BakedBeans
Banned

ill take one of those nifty new imac g5 thingys please
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:08 PM   #6
LaMerVipere
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LaMerVipere
Well not that I will be buying any of the aforementioned potential releases, but I'd love to see something like a new iPod come out, I would buy that
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:11 PM   #7
iLife
macrumors member

didn't the specs on the new displays mention something about hanging on their supports? maybe theres bleedover in the two seperate rumors? maybe the new form factor allows to mounted on a wall? The rumors said it would take up a lot less room than the current models...

just a thought...
------------------------------------
http://www.elsanchez.com
iLife is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:11 PM   #8
hob
macrumors 68020

I would SO buy an iMac G5 - and oooOOOOoooo this is my 4th ever rumor roundup Bring on the updates!!
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:12 PM   #9
terceiro
macrumors newbie

Hardware schmardware

I don't care about what's the next rev of XYZ piece of hardware. I probably don't have the budget for it right now.

I want to know what Tiger is going to have in it. Where's the software rumors?
terceiro is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:12 PM   #10
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhennies
why would anyone pay another 1500 for the 30", when they could just buy two 23"?
Because it's 30 bleeping inches! What other reason do you need? Why does anyone need a Hummer when a VW Jetta or a Smart Car will get you there just as well? It's bragging rights, it's machismo, it's the American Way.

I suppose there are also practical reasons: if you wanted your monitor to double as your DVD-viewing screen, if you had limited desk space, if you need to work on very large images. But mainly it's to say "mine's bigger."
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:16 PM   #11
taco
macrumors newbie

can't wait!

i just took delivery on a rev. b dual 1.8 w/ 256mb ram (upgraded it myself to 1.25 gigs), 80 gig hd (slapped in another 200 gig sata for video), 128mb ati 9600XT, logitech mx900 bluetooth mouse and logitech z-2200 thx speakers- a new 20" apple lcd is all i need to complete this awesome system!!!

previous to the dual g5, i'd been using a latest rev 17" imac... wow... what a difference. both great machines, but the dual is just unbelievable.

anyone else get their new rev. bs? what do you think?
taco is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:16 PM   #12
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

I'm giddy like a school girl I can't wait for 10.4.
kainjow is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:18 PM   #13
machan
macrumors regular

a 30" monitor has been on my wishlist for a long time. if only these damn mortgage payments didn't rain on my parade so much...
machan is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:19 PM   #14
coumerelli
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to coumerelli
Question

Any word on whether or not the Keynote will be streamed/broadcast to the Apple Stores? (namely Schaumburg)?

And I'm super antsy to know what Tiger will be like.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:19 PM   #15
wPod
macrumors 68000

we can all dream, but we will only find out once wwdc starts!

till then my dreams will be filled with a tablet like apple, as well as a wi-fi enabled iPod.
wPod is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:20 PM   #16
MrSugar
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to MrSugar Send a message via AIM to MrSugar
Hehe, me either.

I am at a dilema, about 4 months ago I bought really nice new View Sonic Flat Pannel monitors.. 2 17"'s. Now I find myself wanting a single 23 or maybe dual 20's ....... why do I do this to myself?!?!

Bah, why is it that I just want to give apple more and more money!

-- Fluidvision Design
MrSugar is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:20 PM   #17
xtbfx
macrumors regular

And still no rumors on Tiger? Apple sure is doing a good job being closed-lipped about it.

I'd like to see a G5 iMac, but a cheap G5 iMac would be even better (headless, even).

30" display would be awesome to wow friends with, but two 23" monitors would be even better.
xtbfx is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:21 PM   #18
soosy
macrumors regular

Viva la headless iMac!
soosy is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:22 PM   #19
agreenster
macrumors 68000

I can see a G5 iMac. That'll happen sooner than later.

3000 bucks for a monitor is just a plain ol waste of money. Only if it is holographic would I drop 3k on a monitor. Or if I were rich...
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:24 PM   #20
silvergunuk
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to silvergunuk
I Pity The Fool.

My sources have told me that Apple will name Mac OSX 10.4 iOfTheTiger. The box will have a huge picture of BA Baracas with a huge golden X hanging from one of his thick golden chains. Don't ask me for anymore information as my source could be sued and possibly fired by Apple.

He also tells me the ipod will be renamed Tarquin as dedication to the British Apple designer Jonathan Ive.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:25 PM   #21
Bhennies
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger
Because it's 30 bleeping inches! What other reason do you need? Why does anyone need a Hummer when a VW Jetta or a Smart Car will get you there just as well? It's bragging rights, it's machismo, it's the American Way.

I suppose there are also practical reasons: if you wanted your monitor to double as your DVD-viewing screen, if you had limited desk space, if you need to work on very large images. But mainly it's to say "mine's bigger."
Of course I know why someone would buy it...I'm referring to the price point to speculate that we shoudln't anticipate much of a price drop on the 23".
Bhennies is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:27 PM   #22
xtekdiver
macrumors regular

Dual use

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger

I currently use a 20" cinema display as my monitor and TV at home. Having a 30" would fill two purposes for me because 30" is a really nice size for a small apartment. If these rumors prove to be true, I think Apple will have an extremly competitive product because most 30" flat planel TVs are more than 3K for HD and with lower resolution. Though it is dissappointing that they won't release a standalone cinema 17"; that would be perfect for work, not to mention price . I must say that after using a wide screen monitor I could never go back to using a square; OS X really lends itself to that aspect ratio where Windows does not. However, Longhorn is looking very similar to OS X so that might change. I find it surprising that there really aren't any cinema displays in the PC world other than a few high end 23"+. If laptops can come with 17" wide than why not a standalone?!?
xtekdiver is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:28 PM   #23
AppleMatt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco
i just took delivery on a rev. b dual 1.8 w/ 256mb ram (upgraded it myself to 1.25 gigs), 80 gig hd (slapped in another 200 gig sata for video), 128mb ati 9600XT, logitech mx900 bluetooth mouse and logitech z-2200 thx speakers- a new 20" apple lcd is all i need to complete this awesome system!!!
I don't suppose you could confirm if the processor was a 970 or 970FX could you?

AppleMatt
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:29 PM   #24
sorryiwasdreami
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sorryiwasdreami
Hellz and ****s yeah.

I'm gonna get a new iMac G5 equipped 10.4 and wireless keyboard and mouse, ALL WHICH HANGS ON THE WALL!

You think the iMacs will have wireless networking (bluetooth of course) integration built in (airport)? At this point, no computer manufacturer should sell a machine that doesn't - notebook or other.

I can't wait; it's only six more days.

Last edited by Rower_CPU; Jun 22, 2004 at 03:51 PM. Reason: profanity
sorryiwasdreami is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2004, 03:30 PM   #25
DGFan
macrumors 6502a

from AppleInsider

Quote:
Details are sketchy, but one source, who has provided accurate information on previous projects, claims that the new iMac will sport a vertical "pizza box" physique with the main logic board mounted vertically behind the computer's LCD screen.
Sounds almost like the design for the original LCD iMac that Jobs supposedly didn't like, doesn't it?
DGFan is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)