Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:13 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Screenshots?

With WWDC just days away, the first Tiger information and screenshots appears to have been leaked. According to sources, Apple will reportedly provide developers with a Mac OS X 10.4 Preview copy at WWDC on Monday. The screenshots provided reportedly come from this upcoming developer preview.

(Of note, the screenshots come from a previously unconfirmed source, and as a result may spark the usual debates of legitimacy -- though on casual inspection, do appear real (Tiger Read Me PDF)

Overall Mac OS X 10.4 is said to not hold any dramatic changes from Mac OS X 10.3.

The preview is labeled "Version 10.4 Pre-release" (About Box) and build number 8A162 (Build).

A new version of Safari (v2.0) is bundled with the release and offers at least two new features. These include support for RSS news feeds as well as a new "Private Browsing" mode. Private Browsing allows users to browse without keeping a history of pages viewed.

System Preferences (Screenshot) has been tweaked yet again, with the addition of an iTunes-like search function on the top right (Search 1) which hilights relevant control panels in real time. As the search gets narrowed (Search 2) so do the control panels that are hilighted.

In addition, Apple has added new security features to their firewall, most significantly a Stealth Mode (Firewall Options) which should "Ensures that any uninvited traffic receives no response -- not even an acknowledgement that your computer exists."

Perhaps the most dramatic change, however, is the inclusion of a new Expose features called Dashboard (Screenshot). Dashboard appears to be a Gadget/Widget based utility which provides users with a quick access (invoked by user-specified function key) to frequently used tools/applications. The tools available to users in the Tiger build include Address Book, Calculator, Calendar, iTunes, Stickies and World Clock. The tools provided however, are heavily themed with un-Mac OS X-like styles. It's assumed that developers will be able to provide additional "Gadgets".

Confirmation or invalidation of these images should come at WWDC next week.

Thanks to Gary Niger and Ron Delsner of GNAA for providing the information in this article.

Last edited by arn; Jun 26, 2004 at 03:45 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:15 AM   #2
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Dashboard kinda looks fake to me... We'll see though

I just can't imagine Apple making such hideous "widgets"

Last edited by Chaszmyr; Jun 26, 2004 at 03:20 AM.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:16 AM   #3
BWhaler
macrumors 68000

I think this is a good start. I hope Apple blows us away on Monday with much, much more.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jun 26, 2004 at 01:15 PM.
BWhaler is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:18 AM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
so, yeah.... unconfirmed.. but a whole lot of trouble to fake.. dashboard appears very un-Apple... at least the styles do. The concept seems cool.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:18 AM   #5
zyuzin4
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to zyuzin4 Send a message via Yahoo to zyuzin4
interesting. i like the system prefs search box. sometimes i forget where to find certain obscure things
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:19 AM   #6
RandomDeadHead
macrumors 6502

Screenshots look "Ghostly". I like it. And private browsing sounds very cool. Not to say that I need to cover my tracks.
RandomDeadHead is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:19 AM   #7
BWhaler
macrumors 68000

The dashboard looks very similar to Konfabulator. I hope Apple let's 3rd party developers add more than the basics.
BWhaler is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:19 AM   #8
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

I think the fellas over at Konfabulator are gonna be unhappy with this whole Gadget-based Dashboard idea, if it's true. I wasn't totally impressed by the inconsistencies of the Gadgets... too much like play toys.

We'll see come Tuesday's keynote.

P.S. Doesn't Longhorn have a Dashboard? Haha, way to beat them to the punch!
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:21 AM   #9
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Is it just me or does "Dashboard" look a little too familiar? Konfabulator, anyone?

(Beaten to it!)

And searching GNAA on Google yields this page. Somehow I think this is not the GNAA I was looking for.

irmongoose

Last edited by irmongoose; Jun 26, 2004 at 04:09 AM.
irmongoose is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:23 AM   #10
uberman42
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to uberman42 Send a message via Yahoo to uberman42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomDeadHead
Screenshots look "Ghostly". I like it. And private browsing sounds very cool. Not to say that I need to cover my tracks.
The PDF downloads to whereever you have PDFs go...
uberman42 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:24 AM   #11
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

System Preferences Search

Okay, at first I was a bit confused why we'd need a Search box on System Preferences. Now, Windows's Control Panel needs that feature! But then taking a closer look, you can search for terms *inside* a Preference Pane, as shown in the second screenshot.. that is cool!
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:24 AM   #12
MacFan26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to MacFan26
wow, Dashboard does look like Konfabulator. Yikes, WWDC starts Monday, I'm getting pretty excited! Anyone know yet if it will be broadcast at either the stores or online?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:27 AM   #13
Zappa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmongoose
And searching GNAA on Google yields this page. Somehow I'm think this is not the GNAA I was looking for.
Hmm... Information by "Gary Niger" of GNAA. Sounds too stupid to be true. And that dashboard thing? Hogwash me thinks ...
Zappa is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:29 AM   #14
MacBoy88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Looks cool!

Looks nice. When is the keynote?

BTW did anyone else see that you have to have a DVD Drive to install Tiger?!?!?!

Last edited by MacBoy88; Jun 26, 2004 at 03:33 AM. Reason: DVD Drive
MacBoy88 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:33 AM   #15
DMann
Banned

Dash board....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa
Hmm... Information by "Gary Niger" of GNAA. Sounds too stupid to be true. And that dashboard thing? Hogwash me thinks ...
I can only imagine Tiger making larger leaps into
the refined and 3D realm we know OSX is capable
of. I sure hope the graphics are richer than that...
DMann is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:34 AM   #16
cinder
macrumors member

Those are the fakest fake screenshots I've ever seen.

None of these things make any sense, and they obviously didn't bother to show the 'revised' finder because . . ?

Oh, right, they're fake screenshots.
cinder is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:35 AM   #17
jasonpaul75
macrumors member

Wink Interesting...

I just hope that "we" are given control over all aspects of these widgets.
(Color, font, etc.)
If given control over where information is drawn this could be really useful and powerful stuff. I had also understood that these little widgets would be default always on aspects of the OS.

Interesting...
jasonpaul75 is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:36 AM   #18
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmongoose
And searching GNAA on Google yields this page. Somehow I'm think this is not the GNAA I was looking for.
I immediately thought of them when I saw "GNAA". Anyone who reads Slashdot would be familiar with them - they put big spam posts everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoy88
BTW did anyone else see that you have to have a DVD Drive to install Tiger?!?!?!
Yes, and it doesn't surprise me. I don't think the screenshots are real (at least not the Dashboard ones), but I have no trouble believing the PDF.

Last edited by Nermal; Jun 26, 2004 at 03:38 AM.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:37 AM   #19
dethl
macrumors regular

I hope that firewall option menu isn't fake!

Stealth mode would kick a$$! It would be very interesting to see if nmap would still be able to scan you. If stealth mode works as promised, script kiddies would be powerless as they couldn't find our machines. If this isn't true, I'll create my own app to do this (free, of course...security for the masses must not be held back by cash).

I really hope there is a quicktime feed, or a feed to the apple stores. I'll be calling my local apple store (Barton Springs, just opened!) and seeing if anything is going on.
dethl is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:38 AM   #20
the silver fox
macrumors member

Unhappy Flaming lier pants

I really hope that these are fake. They look fake. For a start lets talk about the dashboard. Whilst I think the idea is sound and obviously fits in with Apple's recent patent concept, it looks like it has been drawn by children. what is wrong with Apple's implementation of the dashboard concept in their Motion software http://www.apple.com/motion/workflow.html (click on dashboard and compare them to the shots of the "OS") ? Very elegant looking panels and feel much more a part of the OS. As for the prefs search panel shot? I really can't imagine that is for real. That kind of super-obvious 50 pixel gaussian glow overlaying the relevant pref? Again it looks like some cheap (and very easy) photoshop work. I really hope that Apple's system 'decorators' haven't sunk that low.

But hey, maybe all this nonsensical eye-candy means they have been spending their budget on some stronger underpinnings. Who knows? Sorry If I sound a little dissappointed.

Last edited by the silver fox; Jun 26, 2004 at 03:41 AM.
the silver fox is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:42 AM   #21
Alexander
macrumors member

Fake or no, is it 64-bit?
Alexander is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:48 AM   #22
broken_keyboard
Banned

I hope that's not it, 10.4 better have more than that.

If you need a search on your settings panel then you have too many settings. Just make it less configurable.

One of the best things about Apple is it's "clean" design. The dashboard will ruin that by putting useless crap everywhere.
broken_keyboard is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:49 AM   #23
yoavcs
macrumors regular

Proof of fakeness

These are fake unless Apple has finally let go of all quality control.
Look at the list of items in the System Preferences screenshots.

1. Some are All Capitalized, others not - very un-Apple like

2. They actually have a typing mistake in the "desktop item" (Rebuild Classic Dekstop (sic))

This really can't be Apple...
yoavcs is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:50 AM   #24
the silver fox
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Fake or no, is it 64-bit?
Dude, we can but hope that they at least release a 64-bit version for the G5, particularly since they have said that wont be releasing a new OS every year now (so probably 18 months). It would suck to be stuck with a 64bit machine with a 32bit operating space.
the silver fox is offline   0
Old Jun 26, 2004, 03:50 AM   #25
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoy88
Yeah.... but I'm sure there will be CD versions of it.
Imagine an iMac FlatPanel 700 MHz (CD-RW) not being supported....

But it would be nice if there were to be a DVD verision of Tiger.
We were hoping the same thing with Panther.

BTW, Dashboard must mean Konfabulator bought by Apple.
Konfabulator 1.7 is also just released....

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)