Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Ive been receiving spam mail for several months. The unsubscribe doesn't work (and I fear has made it worse). I have Verizon fios Internet and their spam filtering seems to be garbage.

Do you use any 3rd party spam filters? (hopefully for free), or is there really a way to stop these messages? Thanks.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Ive been receiving spam mail for several months. The unsubscribe doesn't work (and I fear has made it worse). I have Verizon fios Internet and their spam filtering seems to be garbage.

Do you use any 3rd party spam filters? (hopefully for free), or is there really a way to stop these messages? Thanks.

Apple Mail's spam filtering is actually quite sophisticated. You could always look at Thunderbird if you want something cross-platform. Or do you want to stay with a web based interface for all of your email.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I'm not sure...I have a Verizon.net address and I access it through iPhone, iPad(the standard mail app), and pc. I would want to filter it before its downloaded to these devices. What are my options?

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
Gmail

I give my email address out without a second thought, but Gmail seems to filter out ALL spam. I can't remember the last time I received any spam.

Open up a gmail account, then log onto all of your favourite services that require your email address like iTunes, Spotify, Facebook... and change your email address to your new Gmail one.

You can even keep your old spam ridden one just for submitting to dodgy sites that ask for it :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
G-Mail is quite amazing in that it does a better job at reducing junk than ANY other similar offering. Apple's Mail is great in that the clients ability to filter even further, that is my mail of choice as I have my own mail server set up at work. I've had the same address since 1999. Mac.com (me.com now) web based/client is excellent. That is my main personal mail, had it since there WAS a .mac, and get so few spams I really don't notice them.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Is there a way to open a gmail account, and have all of my Verizon mail forwarded to that, which would then apply the google filters?

Thanks for your replies.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Wow...I finally took the plunge into gmail yesterday. I will never look back. I have never seen an easier way to manage multiple email accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.