Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
I'm impatiently waiting for F1 2012 to download, after getting my force feedback wheel working, and playing the Dirt 2 demo.

I have an old Dell laptop dock, that was designed to have a CRT monitor sat on it, and it gives me the perfect setup, with the wheel clamped to the table and my rMBP sat on top of the dock just behind it.

It made me think. Running the Dirt 2 demo had all the fans on, and even with the power adaptor attached, I still lost 4% battery over an hour or so.

So, would it be wise to employ some additional cooling, if I'm planning to do regular full length grand prix?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
with the way the retina'a and the classics bottoms are designed there are no cooling vents in the bottom only along the hinge so a cooler pad wont work

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
with the way the retina'a and the classics bottoms are designed there are no cooling vents in the bottom only along the hinge so a cooler pad wont work

on the classic MBP, thats true... on the Retinas, there are intake vents on the bottom sides.

Either way the bottom of the case gets very hot... transferring heat away from the insides... a cooler pad that helps cool the bottom does help lower the temps a minor amount.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
on the classic MBP, thats true... on the Retinas, there are intake vents on the bottom sides.

Either way the bottom of the case gets very hot... transferring heat away from the insides... a cooler pad that helps cool the bottom does help lower the temps a minor amount.

ok i stand corrected

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Cool! :D thanks guys.

I'm using a Logitech Driving Force GT.

All the important bits work, but some buttons and the sequential gear knob don't. It's very good, though. You'll need to install a kek, the details of how are on this site somewhere, easily found with a search.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
A textbook does the job. :)

Agreeing with this. Just get something to raise the back end of your macbook pro up a little with. Cooling pads don't work for Macs because there are no vents on bottom for the air to get through. The conduction heat transfer increase with a cooling pad is nowhere near high enough to make a difference.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Cool! :D thanks guys.

I'm using a Logitech Driving Force GT.

All the important bits work, but some buttons and the sequential gear knob don't. It's very good, though. You'll need to install a kek, the details of how are on this site somewhere, easily found with a search.

We released an open source driver that enables all the features of the 900 degree wheel like the shifter. The side effect is this will also stop the kext hack for FFB working as enabling the mode makes the FFB drivers think the wheel is a different model.

http://support.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/f12012/faqs/free_the_wheel/

Enjoy!

Edwin

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Ooh! That's worth knowing. I was about to install FTW, but I think I'll not bother. I can live without a few buttons, but not Force Feedback.

Thanks, Edwin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.