Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
veryrandomtask
macrumors newbie

Access NAS drive via VPN

Hi,
I wonder if anyone could help. I have a Macbook (OSX 10.6.8) and a WD My World Book NAS drive. I also run an iPad and iPhone. What I would like to do is set up a VPN which would allow me access to the NAS drive where I store my music and films whilst the computer is off. I currently use the PlugPlayer app on my iPhone & iPad to do this for the music, but at the moment can only use that to get to the NAS drive whilst on my home wifi connection.

Is this possible, or is it wishful thinking? If anyone could recommend any software to do this (preferably free!) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much!
veryrandomtask is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
talmy
macrumors 68040

You would need to get a router with a built-in VPN server. Not free, and probably not cheap as this is typically a business-class feature. Do a Google search and you should find some models.

Somewhat more expensive would be to run a server computer (Linux if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts or OS X server on an old Mac otherwise). At that point you would not need the NAS as the server would offer the file sharing services.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help