Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhcowboy1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NH
Newbie here - never used an iPod (or iPhone). But want to get one for music storage . . . so I don't have to keep carrying a stack of CD's in my car!

I'm looking for a 4th generation Touch - 32 or 64 gb. Have found several possibilities on craigslist . . . but I'm still trying to figure out what to look for when I go to check them out.

I've got some of the basics - check the speaker and the headphone jack; check both ports for color (indicating water damage); check power, home, and volume buttons; check screws (indicating it's been opened); check wifi; go to the "About" screen and make sure it is what it's supposed to be (but not entirely sure what to look for here).

I also know I need to check the battery - but how? I can connect it to my laptop and see if it indicates that it's charging, but that still doesn't tell me if the battery is near dead. How do I check that?

I was also told to try downloading something to the iPod - any suggestions on a quick and easy download I could do? Perhaps from my laptop (just in case wifi's not handy)?

I know I should also make sure the touch screen is working. Is there any easy test for that, or do I just try touching it randomly?

Appreciate the help! I'd like to be able to check out any prospects quickly and thoroughly. Don't want to take an hour to do it . . . but also don't want to skip something important.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Check the headphone jack. Mine went out on my first iPhone 4.

There are no screws on the iPod Touch. You open it by opening along the screen.

You can tell that it's a 4th gen by the placement of the camera.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What MattG said . . . you also get a warranty.

Just know that you're buying an essentially obsolete dinosaur.

I wouldn't worry about that really. I think the majority of devs that won't even bother updating apps for iOS 7 will be a huge chunk this time around. iOS 6 apps will still be kicking around for the next two years. There's still some in the store that haven't been updated since 2009 even.

If you're really worried about losing apps when devs are forced to support iOS 7 or higher, just keep backups.

I bought my brother a replacement for $80 off eBay. The only thing wrong with it was the back - Which is always the case with these things. Like I said, you can easily tell if its been tampered with by just looking at the screen and the biggst things are to check the power button, volume controls, headphone jack, and dock connector port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.