Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EZZ1253

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
central NY
I accidentally left some images in JPG format for long-term storage. Some of the images have gone bad, with bits corrupted. The images open as corrupted graphics in Preview, Photoshop, and Graphics Converter, and will not open in iPhoto. When opened, the top parts of the images are normal, but the parts that follow the corrupted sections are both color shifted and pixel shifted.

Where can i go for information on fixing these images. I'm searching for instructions on how to either code around the error or a program that can help identify and correct the errors.

Please note, the following circumstances do not apply.

• This is not a Windows registry issue. I'm on a Mac.
  • This is not a problem with a corrupt drive or memory card. I have seen many programs that claim to fix images like this, if the image happens to be on a corrupt or deleted drive or memory card, but i have not found any programs that will actually work on an image file directly.

Thanks for any help people might be able to give.

EZZ1253

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
central NY
Google is the obvious answer. It is also the first answer i tried. Unfortunately, there are no solutions on anything i've found, nor on the page you offered.

Please keep in mind that i had two qualifications.

1) I am working on a Mac, so no software for Windows (registry problems or otherwise) will help me.

2) I am not trying to recover corrupted files from a damaged disk or memory card.

I need some way to correct corrupted JPG files that are on my working hard drive on a Mac OS 10.5 machine (i also have a Mac OS 10.4 machine).

Thanks

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Have you looked for the invalid jpeg markup error? I have seen this before on a windows box. It almost sounds like what you are talking about. Try doing a search for that also. If you can open it up in photoshop, have you tried resaving it? Or when it opens in photoshop it looks bad also?

EZZ1253

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
central NY
It looks bad in all of the applications i open it with. Fortunately, it looks bad in the same way, so i know it's something fairly simply in the encoding.

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
May not be this...

But I've lost hair over some .jpgs I thought were ruined, turned out I have saved as a .PSD with a .JPG extension - A 'get info' and manual change of the extension to .PSD solved it, but your prob sounds a bit more...

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
dude!!!

if google is the answer - why do we have THIS forum!!! :apple:
I dunno but maybe you can use
GraphicConverter or Picture rescue!?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
if google is the answer - why do we have THIS forum!!! :apple:
I dunno but maybe you can use
GraphicConverter or Picture rescue!?
A very high percentage of the questions asked here are answered by patient members who do Google searches on behalf of the questioners. If you had read the OP, then you would know that he had already tried GraphicConverter. This paid GC user is quite familiar with the application. It is a raster graphics editor--very much the poor man's Photoshop--and a graphics file format converter. It does not repair damaged files. Picture Rescue is a file recovery utility. It targets digital photographers. However, it does not repair the digital photographs that it recovers if they are damaged.

dhleung

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Is there any solution ?

EZZ1253 I am having the exact problem you've described. Have you found a solution for fixing the corrupted Jpeg files?

lupin210

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Google is the obvious answer. It is also the first answer i tried. Unfortunately, there are no solutions on anything i've found, nor on the page you offered.

Please keep in mind that i had two qualifications.

1) I am working on a Mac, so no software for Windows (registry problems or otherwise) will help me.

2) I am not trying to recover corrupted files from a damaged disk or memory card.

I need some way to correct corrupted JPG files that are on my working hard drive on a Mac OS 10.5 machine (i also have a Mac OS 10.4 machine).

Thanks

I have the same problem the thing is that I went to the an event took some pictures and came back home. Not sure if by leaving my cellphone next to the memory card corrupted the files, because I got on call and after that ... well, the files were corrupted. So I looking for a software that may fix my files that are in my Mac Drive.

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
A very high percentage of the questions asked here are answered by patient members who do Google searches on behalf of the questioners. If you had read the OP, then you would know that he had already tried GraphicConverter. This paid GC user is quite familiar with the application. It is a raster graphics editor--very much the poor man's Photoshop--and a graphics file format converter. It does not repair damaged files. Picture Rescue is a file recovery utility. It targets digital photographers. However, it does not repair the digital photographs that it recovers if they are damaged.

You are so correct!
Thanks ...

I'm biting my tongue here, but when someone comes to MACRumors it's because they are not great with google or don't have time for google so why bother mentioning google.

Hence to be told that the answer is google is kind of irrelevant and i wonder why you try to protect that. For the person looking, MaCRumors is their friend and not google or they'd be in google and not in MacRomurs ... sigh ...

Has anyone found a working solution yet?

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
It looks bad in all of the applications i open it with. Fortunately, it looks bad in the same way, so i know it's something fairly simply in the encoding.

Have you tried placing them into a layout (e.g. InDesign, Quark or Illustrator) instead of opening? Am guessing maybe you have but thought it worth asking.

Also this may be a long shot, but I wonder of Disk Warrior would help? I know it's not an image-specific utility per se but maybe using it to rebuild the file directory would do something...?

Or how about a test: Try copying one of the images to another HDD, then opening the image from that HDD. The general thought behind that being, maybe something about the images' location on the original HDD is causing a read error when trying to open the file. (So the obvious question at that point becomes, what would keep that same read error from happening when the file is copied to a new HDD? Dunno. But worth a try.) :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Has anyone found a working solution yet?
I've been here two years almost and just now discovered this part of MR. Hope I can contribute.

I don't know if this would work or not in this case, but anytime I get a corrupt jpg or gif that I need to use that won't open in Photoshop I try opening it in a web browser.

Most of the time that does the trick. I can either then save out a new image based on what the browser loaded or if I have to, do a screen shot, open that in PS and then crop to the image.

If the browser won't open the file then it's pretty much beyond repair in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.