Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
cleo1
macrumors regular

"There's already a thread for that"

First of all, threads decay. Regardless of the importance of the topic. It is not as simple as 'survival of the fittest' where important threads will continue to be commented on and thus remain near the top of the pile. The need for 'sticky threads' proves this. The problem is the linear nature of threads: everyone sees the top post, and the second, but somewhere near the first page break, a thread reaches its half life—you know you seldom read the second page, never the fourth, so why bother commenting on a thread that's reached maturity? Not to mention how inevitably threads get hijacked and the conversation becomes about a comment that isn't remotely related to the original post. Or how all topics get stale no matter how interesting, and sometimes we need a break. Does that mean we should never discuss it again? And when someone does decide enough time's gone by, is he/she expected to click through pages of threads until the correct one from two weeks ago is found?
cleo1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
rrares1996
macrumors 6502a

Was that a question?
rrares1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
And when someone does decide enough time's gone by, is he/she expected to click through pages of threads until the correct one from two weeks ago is found?
This is exactly why there is a search function. If the topic already exists it will show up while searching for it. That thread probably has the answer or discusses a very similar topic or relation to the topic. Therefore, the new thread was not necessary.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
cleo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrares1996 View Post
Was that a question?
Remind me to start a similar thread for that, too. Or maybe one for MR clichés in general?
cleo1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5
rrares1996
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Remind me to start a similar thread for that, too. Or maybe one for MR clichés in general?
Oh dude, you just joined macrumors, stay chill, and what is "MR" ?
rrares1996 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Sounds like you are trying to justify your behavior. Doesn't matter if threads decay, once you add your comment to a thread it puts it at the top of the page, just like creating your own thread would.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
MacRumors
batting1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
cleo1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Perhaps, but I've used a Mac since 128k!
cleo1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I genuinely agree with the OP. "There's already a thread for that" is only useful when the other thread is still pretty new, in which case I provide links to those threads.
AngerDanger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Most of the time there is 4 or 5 threads on the subject, all fairly recent and on the same page! Usually started by newbies! There are guys that have been on here less than a month who have started more threads than people who have been on here years!
The search function is the most under used tool on MR.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:22 PM   #11
tech4all
macrumors 68040

You know there's probably already a thread about using the search...please us it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Most of the time there is 4 or 5 threads on the subject, all fairly recent and on the same page! Usually started by newbies! There are guys that have been on here less than a month who have started more threads than people who have been on here years!
The search function is the most under used tool on MR.
Calm down dude...you spend too much time on here if that bothers you that much.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
You know there's probably already a thread about using the search...please us it!

Calm down dude...you spend too much time on here if that bothers you that much.
True, to true! But in my defence you've been hanging around since 2004!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
I genuinely agree with the OP. "There's already a thread for that" is only useful when the other thread is still pretty new, in which case I provide links to those threads.
Well this and if the previous threads answered the question, then links can be provided. I search these forums quite a bit. In fact, I recall someone talking about MagicJack and I opted to search. While my questions weren't quite answered, it was good enough. If I had more questions, I would have started a new thread because the others were quite old.

Either way, who cares, I suppose. Every so often I wonder (and ask) why posters just don't join current discussions, but I'm not sure I'm really all that mad about it. Hell, I'm not really all that mad in general. Shocker, I know.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 04:02 PM   #14
cleo1
macrumors regular

"MagicJack" is a unique identifier, and will thus perform well as a keyword. Topics such as iOS 7, on the other hand, can get so over-parsed that there are very few descriptive keywords, and they all start to blend together, yielding inconsistent results. Here's my theory on that: since iOS 7 is in beta, so is the nomenclature. So it's not that the concepts aren't there, we just haven't invented the words yet! Instead, we describe the concepts as long phrases consisting of the same paltry set of ingredients, like Taco Bell—very bad for searchability.
cleo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 07:04 AM   #15
=w=
macrumors 6502a

I generally agree with the OP. Most of the time, I end up not participating in a conversation, because the thread seems like it's already reached that point where the on-topic discussion is over and people are just chatting.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all, as long as the original topic has been discussed. This is another weird thing about MR sometimes. I understand the need to keep threads on topic, but conversations generally aren't linear; especially when you have 10+ people participating.

Speaking of non-linear.. this post isn't either. Back on topic:

When the thread in question is a help thread, then most of the time I think a new thread is warranted. The general aspects of the problem are probably similar to someone else's, but there may be a few differences and those differences most likely make the solution different.

I feel like it's something that is left up to the poster's discretion.. which doesn't always work out, but sometimes it does. And it seems like even when it does, you get those snotty people who come in and spend more time searching for the old threads and pasting them into the reply box than it would take to simply answer the question.

(Sidenote: I do realize that sometimes providing links to former threads is helpful and necessary. But a lot of the time the person is being a douche about it.)

Last edited by =w=; Aug 6, 2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Holy run-on sentence, Batman!
=w= is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:25 AM   #16
annk
Administrator

I think it can be useful in a lot of cases to continue any discussion of the original topic in a single thread. There are definite advantages to searching for an answer to a problem, and finding all the info here in one hit, rather than spread across multiple threads.

If the problem is specific enough then of course a separate thread is enough. If the thread you find is VERY old, so old that there's really nothing there at all that can be helpful now, then it's fine to start a new thread.

The problem is that many members just don't bother to search; they start a new thread because that's easiest. That irritates members because it clutters up the forums, and it creates more work for mods.

There's no point in getting upset if someone points out that there's a thread that might help. You can either say thanks, or say that you saw that thread when you were searching (hint hint), but it didn't answer your question.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:14 AM   #17
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

There does seem to be a pattern emerging on MR lately as to what type of threads are most common. People leaving one platform for another and why the other is so rubbish seems to be the most popular. Why iOS7 has ruined Apple. The Cheap iPhone, and why Android is so much more free. Bent and scratched iPhones, the list goes on and on and on.....

I find myself defending Apple way more than I ever intended to do. I joined here as a long time Android user who had recently bought an iPhone so thought I had enough experience of both to contribute. However I often see the same arguments back and forth and the main problem is, people can not accept what is right for them isn't always right for others. For a site dedicated to Apple, I've found it to contain far more posters who have issues with Apple products, rather than users who are wishing to share their positive experiences. I still enjoy the more productive discussions, they just aren't as common as I'd expected. Hey ho

Last edited by The-Real-Deal82; Aug 7, 2013 at 03:33 AM.
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:17 AM   #18
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
There does seem to be a pattern emerging on MR lately as to what type of threads are most common. People leaving one platform for another and why the other is so rubbish seems to be the most popular. Why iOS7 has ruined Apple. The Cheap iPhone, and why Android is so much more free. Bent and scratched iPhones, the list goes on and on and on.....

I find myself defending Apple way more than I ever intended to do. I joined here as a long time Android user who had recently bought an iPhone so thought I had enough experience of both to contribute. However I often see the same arguments back and forth and the main problem is, people can not accept what is right for them isn't always right for others. For a site dedicated to Apple, I've found it to contain far more posters who have issues with Apple products, rather than users who are wishing to share their positive experiences. I still enjoy the more productive discussions, they just aren't as common as I'd expected. Hey ho
Not sure what this has to do with the thread subject?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:19 AM   #19
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Not sure what this has to do with the thread subject?
I thought it was related to how threads survive and others don't, whilst pointing out my annoyance at why only certain threads appear to be popular.

Thanks for ridiculing my post Ann, really appreciated that!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:24 AM   #20
annk
Administrator

Quote:
I thought it was related to how threads survive and others don't, whilst pointing out my annoyance at why only certain threads appear to be popular.

Thanks for ridiculing my post Ann, really appreciated that!
It wasn't ridiculing, it was a genuine attempt to see if there was a connection, because I didn't see it.

I could have simply removed the post as being off-topic and sent a reminder in a case like this, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I decided I'd ask you to explain, which you did.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:26 AM   #21
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
It wasn't ridiculing, it was a genuine attempt to see if there was a connection, because I didn't see it.

I could have simply removed the post as being off-topic and sent a reminder in a case like this, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I decided I'd ask you to explain, which you did.
I've removed the post Ann, sorry if it appeared to be off topic, that wasn't my intention at all.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:30 AM   #22
annk
Administrator

Quote:
I've removed the post Ann, sorry if it appeared to be off topic, that wasn't my intention at all.
No problem, feel free to put it back! You posted, I asked for an explanation, you gave it, everything got cleared up. Even this convo is related to how the intention of things such as "there's a thread for that" doesn't always translate into how it's understood.

It's all good, no worries.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:40 AM   #23
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

I've put it back

I do find I have to search through some threads I have contributed to by going to my profile and looking at latest posts from myself. I do that simply to find where I left off. The threads move-on here so quickly and the curiosity in us wants to see how the discussion developed after we have made our points. It must be a pain for the mods and agree with the OP that so many threads run along the same lines in terms of topic. Perhaps we could have a sticky thread in iPhone and the alternatives section entitled 'Why I am moving to iPhone' or 'why I am moving to Android'... It would save so much space on the opening page and lets face it, it's by far the most popular subject to discuss at the moment.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback