Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Hey all, huge Lakers fan, but im in NY, so for a long time now I've been thinking about purchasing NBA League Pass. Now that I have my Apple TV, I am ready to shell out the money, but I have a few questions first.

1) 720p or 1080p? If it matters, I have the newest Apple tv.
2) I can run an ethernet cord, but I have extremely fast wifi (50 mbps), anyone ever have any problems streaming through wifi?
3) Will I be able to watch on my laptop, or any other devices that support NBA league pass as well?
4) Any other complaints I should be aware of?

Thanks.

HipHopTrex

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
1) 720p or 1080p? If it matters, I have the newest Apple tv.
2) I can run an ethernet cord, but I have extremely fast wifi (50 mbps), anyone ever have any problems streaming through wifi?
3) Will I be able to watch on my laptop, or any other devices that support NBA league pass as well?
4) Any other complaints I should be aware of?

Thanks.
1. I know it's at least 720P, it may be 1080 not sure. I haven't purchased an appletv 3 yet.
2. I live with 2 other college members, and usually they're playing xbox and I might be online when streaming and we get 30mbps. It occasionally has issues, but as long as people aren't playing online it's fine. I know when they're out and a game is on I'm pretty golden.
3. Yes laptop. You just go to nba.com click league pass, log in and bam you're good!
4. Aside from it's cost(which is cheaper than last year) not really. I wish they'd add NBATV since I've pretty much cut the cord.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
^ he means a simulcast of the cable channel NBATV.

Its going to be 720p since the majority of locally broadcast NBA games are on Fox Sports Net, which broadcasts in 720.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
^ he means a simulcast of the cable channel NBATV.
Or at least stop blacking out games that they show on NBATV. I understand why league pass needs to black out ESPN and TNT games for contractual reasons, but when I pay $100+ to subscribe to basketball, it isn't ok for them to also black out games they are showing on their own channel. If you want to watch all 82 games for your favorite team, you need League Pass, ESPN, TNT, ABC, and NBATV. That's $600 minimum over the course of a season and I'm not doing it. At least with the ESPN/TNT games I could go to a bar to watch them. Nobody has NBATV so there is no way to watch without paying the extra several hundred dollars. Lame.

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
All sports in the US spectrum are 720p. The progressive scan allows for smoother action and less motion blur with fast action. The quality should be better than traditional cable because it is a direct signal to your ATV and is not being compressed down through a cable provider. I have not personally tried NBA League pass but this is how it has been for MLB.tv and the NHL. Good luck man!

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
All sports in the US spectrum are 720p. The progressive scan allows for smoother action and less motion blur with fast action.

That is definitely not true. CBS and other networks broadcast in 1080i. It isn't the sport that sets the format they are shown in, it is the network it is broadcast on. And no matter what the network it is shown on, apps like NBA League Pass are re-encoding them anyway so it is any format they choose. Plus, 1080p would definitely look better than 720p although there is really no need for them to stream at 1080p since it would only be an upconversion since no networks are broadcasting that high of quality yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.