Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Applecare for a 21 inch is only 169 for 3 years, lower with a student discount. It's really not that much...Best Buy is 269, and doubtful they have student discounts. Plus you have to deal with best buy, the most infuriatingly out of touch company in tech sales.

Eh good point, $169 isn't bad though maybe $149 might be better. Applecare for other models is too pricy in my view.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
First, HP is posting losses these days, not profits. Second, checking their net revenues, the Printing division which counts ink and hardware itself (consumer and corporate) is not their big money maker at all, that's just some forum-goer-lets-laugh-at-HP rumor :

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTYyNzc1fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Page 7 contains the gory details. Out of 29B$ of net revenue, the printing group, hardware and ink was responsible only for 6B$. Their biggest money makers are Personal Systems and Services. Page 9 breaks it down even more showing printing supplies (ink if you will) is only a 4B$ part of their revenue stream. If you want to discuss pure margins, page 11 shows that Software is their highest margin sector, with Services barely trailing printing.

So let's stop spreading the "HP is an ink company" FUD please.
Ok, I haven't ever checked those numbers myself and what happens at current time does not mean it couldn't happened before.

Still, revenue is not profits and I'd guess "money making" usually means more like profits than revenue.
HP's operation margin in Personal systems was 3,5% and in Printing it was 17,5%.
I'm not saying that they are "ink only" company, but still they are an "ink company". They are selling "printing supplies" which I guess means mostly ink for 16 billions dollars a year.
And "inks" are more profitable to them than selling or renting ("services") any harware; only software is more profitable. Big part of services can be software, but even with that "inks" are better business.
Should Apple be called a "Mac company" when they make smaller part of both their revenue and profits from macs than HP makes out of "inks"?

And maybe inks were even better business in the past?
Anybody compared these numbers to las decade?

What's even more important than thses numbers, is the way ink business is made. Most R&D goes to howto prevent printer owners using other companies inks and howto quietly add planned obsolescence to every part.

Apple is making same thing and now people (also here) are just referring that this is just "the way of modern times".

Would you buy an used ip4, which is in mint condition in any other way than battery?
Most of people who know that otherwise perfect phone is useless without new battery wouldn't buy it.
Now Apple has made same to most of laptops and is starting to make same thing to desktops. No fun at all and people should be aware of this. This is unecological, consumer looses more money and Apple makes more profits. At least consumers should understand that Apple's products' resale value will drop significantly in the future.

EDIT: I have to take part of that "none-in-one" back, since I thought new entry model iMac has only integrated GPU, but since it has descreet chip, you don't need another box and cable worth of cheap computer to clutter your desktop, like you have to do with macmini.

Maybe Ive can design RAM-door for next model, which edges are cut so precise that those seams become invisible. Since they can't make it any slimmer, the design needs new challenges...

Last edited:

phillipteeth

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) adhesive strips for cheap!! finally ..

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iFixit has released a comprehensive teardown of Apple's new 21.5" iMac.

The new iMac, with its ultra slim bezel proved to be a disappointment to the iFixit team, because both the glass and the LCD are glued to the iMac frame with strong adhesive, which negatively impacts repairability.While the RAM, hard drive, and CPU can be replaced, the entire logic board must be removed to do so, which led the iFixit team to give the 21" iMac a repairability score of 3 out of 10, down from 7 out of 10 for last year's model.

Here are the highlights of the teardown:

-Nothing about the internals of the new Mac resemble last year's model.
-Apple has swapped out the 3.5" desktop hard drive for a 2.5" HGST laptop hard drive, freeing up valuable space.
-The hard drive has a rubbery housing at its edges, which is a new design meant to dampen the vibrations from the hard drive in the closely packed quarters of the iMac.
-There are no longer multiple small fans. Instead, Apple is using a single centralized fan.
-Apple's new iMac has two microphones to improve sound quality when using FaceTime.
-The AirPort card uses a Broadcom BCM4331 single-chip WLAN solution and three Wi-Fi antennas.

iFixit's teardown also included a detailed listing of all of the chips on the logic board.

Despite the repairability concerns, early reviews for the design of the new iMac were largely positive.

Apple's new iMacs went on sale on Friday, Nov. 30. The 21.5" model starts at $1299 and $1499. The 27" iMac starts at $1799 and $1999. The 21.5" model can currently be purchased in the Apple Store, but the 27" models have yet to ship.

Article Link: Teardown of New 21.5-inch iMac Reveals Glued Down LCD and Dual Microphones

http://applecomponents.com/items/07...ll-kit/0000005609?pn=1&s=076-1419&per_page=30

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.