Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
On Windows at work for all types of docs I frequently right click -> convert to PDF. Don't even need to open it, don't need to set up a fancy automator program.

How can I do this on OS X? Is there some hidden built-in support, or is there a good program (preferably from the MAS) that I need to get?

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Easy, Print to PDF.....

That's not what I'm looking for - that takes opening the document, going to Print, then Print to PDF. A lot longer than just right clicking a file. Unless of course you know how to get the "Print to PDF" option in the right click menu.

LurchNC

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
http://www.maclife.com/article/features/15_automator_and_applescripts_you_can’t_live_without

Look at #9 here which shows you how to create an automator to print multiple documents from the finder.

How To Print Directly to PDF Without Opening a File
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_print_directly_pdf_without_opening_file

You can then add your newly created Automator app to your Services menu. Success! A right-click Print to PDF.

Alright, looks like automator is the way to go, probably about time I learn to do that stuff. Thanks for the help.

aquazula

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
On Windows at work for all types of docs I frequently right click -> convert to PDF. Don't even need to open it, don't need to set up a fancy automator program.

Hey! well it would be kind of awkward, but i want to ask if you know more about the one windows has... right now i'm working on a windows and it would be really usefull... previously i actually had it in my own windows (i don't know where it came from, but i was just happy to have it) but now that i'm in a different windows that doesn't have it :(....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.