Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bexhill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on some weird problems I've been having with T3i footage. I bought the camera (used) recently and shot a short film to test it out. The footage all looks great when played back on the camera, but after I import it onto my computer weird glitches and artifacts show up here and there in some of the clips, like in the screenshot I attached.

I import the footage by dragging the entire contents of the SD card to a new folder in the Finder. The same thing happens if I import to my desktop or an external hard drive. My computer is relatively fast and recent (MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz with 8GB of RAM) so I don't think it's struggling to read the files. The artifacts persist throughout my workflow-- after I change the files to Apple ProRes in Compressor and import them into Final Cut, and still show up in clips I export from Final Cut.

I'm using the 16GB SanDisk class-10 "HD Video" SD card that came with the camera, and format it before every use. The firmware is up-to-date.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Should I buy a new memory card, or is there potentially a problem with the camera? The problems are infrequent enough that I can cut around them for right now, but I want to fix this before I start my next project. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 1.44.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 1.44.02 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132

Trixster

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
I´ve not seen this before, but... it looks like there´s a compression issue. Are you by any chance running magic lantern on the camera? if so, maybe you could try to reduce the bitrate and see if that helps.

Bexhill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Actually, yeah, I am running Magic Lantern. How would I change the bitrate? Am I better off getting rid of the program altogether?

Trixster

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
inside the magic lantern menu there´s an option to change the bitrate, can´t remember exactly where it is more then some steps to the right in the top menu and then it´s one of the first options in that menu...

You can try the bitrate thing first, if that doesn´t help I would reformat the SD card and try it without magic lantern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.