Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #26
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Touch wood, I don't seem to have the problem. I'm absolutely loving this phone.
Do you mind posting screenshots of the general Battery page then one of the screen on time and one after clicking the graph. Do this after a full charge and days use. Thanks
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:42 AM   #27
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Will do.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:44 AM   #28
onthecouchagain
Banned

In Chris Pirillo's NExus 4 to iPhone 5 comparison video, he says the Nexus 4 "conserved battery better" than the iPhone 5. Who knows how he measured that though.

Either way, all these conflicting battery reports point to something being amiss. I keep reading it has to do with the kernel, and that it's actually a very easy fix for Google to implement. Hopefully it's sooner than later. Hopefully it'll be packaged with that "missing december in Contacts list" update that Google will definitely have to roll out before December.

I'm ready to order this device on the next wave.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #29
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

So how do we determine this? my phone lasts up to 20 hours before getting 0% charge, obviously on and off use, isn't that good enough already? screen time was around 3-4 hours, i'll keep an eye out for that today
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 AM   #30
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
So how do we determine this? my phone lasts up to 20 hours before getting 0% charge, obviously on and off use, isn't that good enough already? screen time was around 3-4 hours, i'll keep an eye out for that today
That sounds pretty good to me provided you didn't have it plugged in at any stage.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 AM   #31
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I easily get 20+ hours with my Galaxy Nexus. I just don't get how a new phone with a significantly larger battery, presumably better software, quad-core, and better signal strength (supposedly compared to the Galaxy Nexus) can't match it, if not improve upon it.

Something is def. amiss.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #32
The iGentleman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I easily get 20+ hours with my Galaxy Nexus. I just don't get how a new phone with a significantly larger battery, presumably better software, quad-core, and better signal strength (supposedly compared to the Galaxy Nexus) can't match it, if not improve upon it.

Something is def. amiss.
My N4 easily gets better battery life than my GNex did, and I really didn't have any battery issues with the GNex. I'd say my N4 at bare minimum matches my GS3.
The iGentleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:12 AM   #33
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
My N4 easily gets better battery life than my GNex did, and I really didn't have any battery issues with the GNex. I'd say my N4 at bare minimum matches my GS3.
At least now I know I won't be downgrading in terms of battery life since I'll be switching from a GS3 too.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #34
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Something is def. amiss.
The first couple of days my N4's battery life seemed rather poor. By "poor" I mean like my iPhone 4S's battery life, which is horrible.

After going through a few charge cycles, though, it seems to have gotten better. I attribute that to the battery breaking in as well as me better getting to know the system and tuning it for better battery life. At first I left live wallpaper on, threw on a bunch of widgets, etc. Now the only widget I have aside from the clock (hmmm? maybe that should go too) is the power control widget (which I love!).

I have been turning off the GPS a lot too.

I also am leaving brightness at auto. It seems to work better on auto than my iPhone does. Better yet, the power control widget lets me set it instantly to 0%, 50%, and--for those demo times --100%. (And then one more tap back to auto.)

Michael
Tinmania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:49 AM   #35
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
The first couple of days my N4's battery life seemed rather poor. By "poor" I mean like my iPhone 4S's battery life, which is horrible.

After going through a few charge cycles, though, it seems to have gotten better. I attribute that to the battery breaking in as well as me better getting to know the system and tuning it for better battery life. At first I left live wallpaper on, threw on a bunch of widgets, etc. Now the only widget I have aside from the clock (hmmm? maybe that should go too) is the power control widget (which I love!).

I have been turning off the GPS a lot too.

I also am leaving brightness at auto. It seems to work better on auto than my iPhone does. Better yet, the power control widget lets me set it instantly to 0%, 50%, and--for those demo times --100%. (And then one more tap back to auto.)

Michael

Toggle widgets are a beautiful thing. I actually think widgets, usually, are a bit overrated, but certain ones really go a long way in making the experience smoother and easier. Settings/toggle widgets are def. one of them.

Try setting up a page for direct-dial or direct-text contacts too. I reserve one of my home screens for my most frequented calls/texts contacts. It's great.

Initial battery cycles are always going to be lower due to initial use and fascination/setting up the device. Should level out after, like you said.

However, I hope 4.2.1 does address whatever kernel issues some are having. And I hope it comes soon. My prediction, before December.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:45 PM   #36
KAB2010
macrumors 6502

Maybe the Nexus 4 issues are just software related.. but the LG Optimus G is positively having these wakelock issues preventing deep sleep when not on LTE. I couldnt get more than 9 hours on a single charge with it, and low actual usage time. I'm afraid that it could be a hardware problem with the radios. LG refuses to acknowledge the issue as of right now.
KAB2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:24 PM   #37
Pjstock42
macrumors regular

Since upgrading my Nexus 7 to 4.2 the battery life is PATHETIC.

If I put it in sleep and leave it in my bag for a day, it's completely dead and won't even turn on until it's plugged in. iPad I can leave on standby for a week and it would still have battery left when I picked it up.
Pjstock42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #38
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjstock42 View Post

If I put it in sleep and leave it in my bag for a day, it's completely dead and won't even turn on until it's plugged in. iPad I can leave on standby for a week and it would still have battery left when I picked it up.
That's not good. I'm going to update Paranoid Android to the beta of 4.2 and hopefully it won't be like that.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:05 PM   #39
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjstock42 View Post

I unplugged the Nexus 7 yesterday at 7:00, now, 37 hours after it has 78% of the battery and the most hungry one was Google Maps with the location features.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #40
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Been pretty good today, took it off charge at 7am. Although its only spent about 80 minutes with the screen on, GPS, 3G and Bluetooth and WiFi turned on. Plus I spend most of my working day inside buildings that have appalling signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-20-19-26-24.png
Views:	30
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	378637  
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:34 PM   #41
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Been pretty good today, took it off charge at 7am. Although its only spent about 80 minutes with the screen on, GPS, 3G and Bluetooth and WiFi turned on. Plus I spend most of my working day inside buildings that have appalling signal.
Battery percentage left?

Did you have the Daydream feature on throughout the day? I just don't understand how the screen can be on but the phone not awake.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:49 PM   #42
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
That actually seems decent and it looks like there's around 50% left. At least it won't be a downgrade from my GS2.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:56 PM   #43
onthecouchagain
Banned

Is there any functionality to Daydream? At all?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:25 PM   #44
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Battery percentage left?

Did you have the Daydream feature on throughout the day? I just don't understand how the screen can be on but the phone not awake.
Im not sure what it was back then, it's on 46% now. And no Daydream is off.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #45
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It looks pretty.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:18 PM   #46
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Do you mind posting screenshots of the general Battery page then one of the screen on time and one after clicking the graph. Do this after a full charge and days use. Thanks

There ya go.

daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:21 PM   #47
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Hey I love it! Well for now.

Mike
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices