Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Hello,

I'm trying to sell my 2010 Mac Pro but would like your input on selling point.

Specs:

2.4ghz 8 Core Westmere Processor.
32GB Memory.
2x 120GB Solid State Raid - 1 240GB
2x 1TB Hardive One for each Bay.
Logic and Final Cut Pro X Included.
Apple Care Expires December 2nd 2014.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm planning on leaving them in the machine. Do you have any suggestion on selling point?

But then the OS and the applications will be bound to your Apple ID, thus if the new owner reinstalls Mac OS X with whatever Mac OS X version, those applications are lost, even if backed up before reinstallation and copied back after, as they have to be activated via logging into your iTunes/MAS account via the appropriate credentials.

As for price, have you taken a look at Mac2Sell or Gazelle or eBay or Amazon (it also has a used marketplace) like mentioned before (apart from the Amazon bit)?

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
But then the OS and the applications will be bound to your Apple ID, thus if the new owner reinstalls Mac OS X with whatever Mac OS X version, those applications are lost, even if backed up before reinstallation and copied back after, as they have to be activated via logging into your iTunes/MAS account via the appropriate credentials.

As for price, have you taken a look at Mac2Sell or Gazelle or eBay or Amazon (it also has a used marketplace) like mentioned before (apart from the Amazon bit)?

Awesome Thank You, I'll let the person know he/she would lose the apps if they reinstall.

Mike Biggen

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Awesome Thank You, I'll let the person know he/she would lose the apps if they reinstall.

What, you're going to sell a machine without wiping the drive? That seems like a phenomenally bad idea. No, the non-scammy thing to do would be to wipe the drive and not make any mention of the software. You can't legally transfer it to anyone, so it doesn't actually increase the value of the machine. All you're doing is trying to trick someone who doesn't know better into paying extra for software that isn't theirs.

RunOverProducti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
What, you're going to sell a machine without wiping the drive? That seems like a phenomenally bad idea. No, the non-scammy thing to do would be to wipe the drive and not make any mention of the software. You can't legally transfer it to anyone, so it doesn't actually increase the value of the machine. All you're doing is trying to trick someone who doesn't know better into paying extra for software that isn't theirs.

Ok I'll wipe the machine clean, thank you for the advice. Now do you have an opinion on how much I should sell it for?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Ok I'll wipe the machine clean, thank you for the advice. Now do you have an opinion on how much I should sell it for?

In eBay, your Mac Pro model sells for about $1800 to $2200 on the average. These are mostly upgraded machines. Good luck!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Vernor v. Autodesk ruled that you can legally transfer licenses as it is covered under the first sale doctrine. However, the manufacturer does not have any legal obligation to assist you or the buyer. Therefore the activation dilemma.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Thank You

I think you can try selling your MPro at around $2200 to $2400 since your machine is fully loaded with 321g ram, SSD and Applecare. Probably just figure out how to transfer the Applecare ownership. If you machine is in Mint condition that also helps. Some sellers would just remove the apps. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.