Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Interesting side note... with this jailbreak there was initially a problem with the Weather app, which kept crashing. The evasi0n guys just released an update that fixes this issue, but apparently it won't work on an iPhone/iPad where the person has also installed the extra stuff needed to steal apps. And at least one of the main developers of the patch, @pod2g, has said he will not help at all with solving those issues.

Good for him! :D

----------

How do you pay for the apps from Cydia?

Is there some other way to purchase Cydia apps other than paypal?

You can link your Cydia account to your Google Wallet (or whatever Google's calling it now). That's what I do, because I despise PayPal.

Also, if it's not obvious - a lot of apps on Cydia are free. But there are some rather useful ones that do cost money. I consider the $2.99 (IIRC) I spent on RetinaPad well worth it, for example.

soxmandan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I actually pay for the jailbreak tweaks and some themes...so to pirate apps would be stupid.

There are plenty of reasons to jailbreak, it doesn't make us all pirates. That's not to say there are people who say they don't but still do, but no one makes a huge deal out of pirating music, movies, etc., so people need to get off their high horses and stop assuming every jailbreaker is a pirate.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I hope that Apple cracks down on this like they do on Samsung and everyone else. Jailbreaking is not the way Apple wants people to use their products. Apple products are perfect the way they are and Apple knows what is best for us. How could anyone possibly think that they know more about what is best for them than Apple does. :D:D
They did, exactly the same way. They filed a lawsuit....and lost.
I suppose they are talking about the updates that either never happen or for stuff everyone figured out how to do years ago?
You can damage the system to the point that a regular restore doesn't work, giving the appearance of permanent damage. My guess is Apple's comment refers to this. Many people don't understand there is the DFU mode beyond that to really restore.
All ten and more reason I gave up the iPhone so I can do all that without dicking around. I am certainly not against I phones in general (I mean I had one since the first non-3G) but it really is time for Apple to get their act together (not that the majority of buyer obviously cares).
I find it harder to find tweaks, or change settings for our Android tab than for my JBed iPhone. And harder to trust. My trust level for security, quality, etc. of appstores goes in this order:
1) iOS Appstore
2) Kindle
3) Cydia
4) Google Play
Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?
Isn't it tiring? These are people not coming here for discussion, but for being obnoxious.
Newbie question here. Hopefully on topic enough.

I have an iPhone 5, and this is going to be my first iDevice that I jail break.

How do you pay for the apps from Cydia?

Is there some other way to purchase Cydia apps other than paypal?
Looks like you can also use Amazon setup to purchase. Although I haven't tried it, I'm fine with paypal.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
does jailbreaking allow mass storage mode? (plug-and-play). so that a file manager can be used on the phone itself.. and drag-and-drop file management from a computer?

and

can an app see files that are stored on the phone? for example, can i open gmail app and attach a pdf/other file?

simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
2. with one swipe up, i can close all my background apps (in the application switcher);
3. with a swipe down, i can close any specific app (in the application switcher);
4. the ability to ignore/hide app updates (when they no longer support your device or iOS);
5. customize gestures for a given task. like replacing the home-button's function with a gesture;
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
7. add the ability to make googlemaps the default maps app on the device;
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
9. move multiple items at a time, in the home screen;
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;

im not talking about customizing fonts or stuff. i am talking about productivity and ease of use. simple things that speed up my flow and minimize my frustration. cheers.

relating to # 11 above, last time i checked, ios only allows pictures to be emailed. you couldn't easily attach ANY file to an email. which relates to my question above.

Last edited:

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?

I have none, of course, and my numbers were hyperbole. I just find it naïve to sincerely believe that piracy isn't the main reason the vast majority of people jailbreak.

Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?

Maybe because we have no idea what you're talking about. You mean by using a developer account or something? Okay, but I doubt few are paying $99 a year to pirate apps when jailbreaking is free and easier to pirate with.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.

Guilty as charged for B.

Didn't know what all the buzz was. Yes it had some features, but nothing I found interesting.Plus, lot of http 500 and 404 errors while downloading some apps, turned me off.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Looks like you can also use Amazon setup to purchase. Although I haven't tried it, I'm fine with paypal.

Thank you for that. To date, I have had good luck with Amazon.

Looks like I will use Amazon for the non-free apps I purchase from Cydia.

I saw the Google wallet option offered up earlier, but I consider Google right up there with pay pal. Either way, its good to have options.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.

I have done so in the past, I did not find it worth the trouble, however with teathering, layout changes, adding features for quick access it feels worth it these days.

Trying not to mess around TOO much, time void along with being no real reason, need to keep it simple.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
This is a thread about iOS/Apple not Android. No need to introduce a strawman argument. I never stated people did or did not root Android. I just questioned how many people might think iOS was lacking (enough) to switch. I think it's pretty established that Both OSes have features the other doesn't - without rooting/jailbreaking.

You brought up Android, not me. I just pointed out a flaw in that line of thought. Doing so isn't a strawman argument.

PS: Apple has sold over 400 million iOS devices (and that was back in June). 1.7 million is less than half a percent of that. iOS is certainly still lacking some features I'd like to see, but I think the percentage of jailbreakers has been steadily declining with each iOS update.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?
I have none, of course, and my numbers were hyperbole. I just find it naïve to sincerely believe that piracy isn't the main reason the vast majority of people jailbreak.

And I find it overly cynical on your part to assume the vast majority of jailbreakers are doing it to pirate apps. Neither of us has proof that our view is correct though. I would guess your opinion just depends on what your own experience with jailbreaking is, what your own financial situation is, and what kind of people you associate with.

In my case I'm an adult with a decent job, and so are most of my friends, so it's hard to imagine that avoiding paying the $1 - $5 that most paid apps cost would be a big motivation to jailbreak. On the other hand I'm what I'd consider a power user, and there are lots of very useful programs and OS tweaks available only by jailbreaking, which make my iPhone much more pleasant to use. So from my point of view I can't understand why it's so hard for some people to believe that piracy isn't the main motivation for a lot of people to jailbreak. I'm sure that's why some people do it -- I'd guess especially kids without their own income -- but it seems foolish to keep asserting that most people do it to pirate apps, without any evidence, when there are plenty of other good reasons to jailbreak.

Last edited:

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
1,699,950 people do it to pirate apps. The other 50 post on message boards about how they do it to get various pet features and have no interest in pirating, and most other jailbreakers must have the same intentions.
Well that's an arbitrary blanket statement with no facts whatsoever to support such ridiculous claims...

I for one jailbroke my phone. I bought Auxo last night for $1.99 and am contemplating purchasing a couple other apps as well. Jailbreaking does not mean piracy. People like you spewing unsupported claims and figures about people stealing applications are the reason jailbreaking has a bad reputation.

Can you steal apps through jailbreaking? Of course. Does everyone? I don't, and I know many who have the decency to actually purchase applications and support the developers who bring them to us. Just because you don't doesn't mean you have to lie through your teeth, attempting to drag the jailbreaking community through the mud to try to prove something that's not even remotely true.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Guilty as charged for B.

Didn't know what all the buzz was. Yes it had some features, but nothing I found interesting.Plus, lot of http 500 and 404 errors while downloading some apps, turned me off.

That's a shame.

You should've waited a couple of weeks before jailbreaking. Those errors were due to repositories getting slammed with the number of people downloading apps and tweaks. They mostly went away after a day or so. The more popular the download combined with having a weak server resulted in a longer wait for some.

Try it again, and go into Cydia's Featured section or Google for Top Cydia apps and tweaks.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
does jailbreaking allow mass storage mode? (plug-and-play). so that a file manager can be used on the phone itself.. and drag-and-drop file management from a computer?

and

can an app see files that are stored on the phone? for example, can i open gmail app and attach a pdf/other file?

relating to # 11 above, last time i checked, ios only allows pictures to be emailed. you couldn't easily attach ANY file to an email. which relates to my question above.

yes.
there are a few desktop apps that shows your entire filesystem and you can "drag-n-drop" and manage stuff. some work better than others, you must give them a try and find what best suits you. some of them don't even need jailbreak.
take a look at: http://i-funbox.com/ifunboxmac/ i'm not sure that it supports file management, but at least you can access the phone's files. probably it won't give you everything that you need, but it's a start :)

i don't know if are aware of apps like http://readdle.com/products/readdledocs_iphone/ to manage your documents.

jailbreak apps like "ifile" give you the possibility to browse and modify your system right in your iphone. you can access the png of a game graphics or change an app icon on-the-fly.

regarding mail and attachments, in fact what i've listed was a limitation in iOS5 (which i was in since there was no unthetered jailbreak for iOS6 until a couple days ago :p). in iOS6 you can attach photos and video and i don't know any tweeks that allows you to attach other kind of files.

cheers ;)

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Serious question...why is it awesome that some people care about jailbreaking?

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?:confused: :)

the only point of jailbreaking is to make iOS more like Android. but most n00bs sticks with iPhone because they have some silly idea that iOS "just works". that's where they're all wrong, which is why jailbreaking is awesome. iOS on its own sucks and has no extensions to improve usability. example: just look at its keyboard, its stupid autocorrect and stupid magnifying glass thing. jailbreaking extensions improve on all those.

unigolyn

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
You don't want easier access to settings?
You don't want Quick Reply-type functionality?
You don't want an infinitely better Messages app?
You don't want better access to information on the Lockscreen?
You don't want Notification Center opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want Siri opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want the ability to set default apps and hide ones you don't use?
You don't want a freshened up and more unified UI (no major overhaul)?

I could go on, but apparently you don't want it. Thank goodness you're not in charge at Apple.

Someone very much like him is. Apple goes out of their way to prevent jailbreaking.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Someone very much like him is. Apple goes out of their way to prevent jailbreaking.

No they don't. They don't support jailbreaking, but they're doing nothing to prevent it other than post a warning about it on their website.

If Apple wanted to, they could block jailbroken iPhones from receiving updates.

If Apple wanted to, they could check all devices to see if they are jailbroken before doing repair/replace under warranty. Currently, they only check at the store if the device is jailbroken before taking it in, if they can't determine, they take it in and repair/replace under warranty. Even when jailbroken, they'll usually offer to restore.

If Apple wanted to, they could release jailbreak-preventing-only updates, and then require new apps to run with those updates.

Many people confuse Apple patching the exploits used in jailbreaks as "stopping jailbreakers" or that it's a cat and mouse game, but this is entirely incorrect.

What happens is that Apple has a error reporting system. Users are asked if they want to "send Apple feedback". When Apple receives error reports they get sorted out in terms of frequency and severity and then engineers evaluate the work to fix and priorities are set and mapped out to their release schedule.

Jailbreaks take advantage of errors in the system. When a jailbreaking tool utilizes these exploits and is released, Apple gets reports of millions of users experiencing the same set of errors.

Since these errors represent proven areas of security compromise, Apple has a responsibility to its users to fix these errors in their code, and they do this as mapped to their release schedule.

But this is no different from Apple receiving error reports on any other bug other than perhaps a huge number of reports increasing the priority level.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
This app is not supported on jailbroken devices............. :mad:

Which you know is going to be a long running issue, fix it and then it will break again. Why would they even care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.