Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I'm talking about this new whole chip thing.

Just wondering since I'm finally ready to buy an AppleTV, not sure if I should wait it out for a refresh or if this one counts as one.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Considering it's nearly impossible to predict when a more major update of the AppleTV is coming, and the device cost is fairly low (especially if you buy a refurb), I'd just buy one now if you're in the market for it.

Other than further feature updates via software, I think the only likely further development is supporting third-party apps. Even if Apple does add third-party apps to the AppleTV at some point, it's likely that current models will be supported, even if a new model is released at the same time (unless it's a totally new product, like an actual TV). So I don't think you'd be missing out on anything by having the current model.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm talking about this new whole chip thing.

Just wondering since I'm finally ready to buy an AppleTV, not sure if I should wait it out for a refresh or if this one counts as one.

If Apple just went to the trouble of designing a chip solely for the AppleTV, I doubt we are going to see an AppleTV4 for quite some time.

Besides, what would an AppleTV4 do that the 3 can't? Many still rock AppleTV2's (even non-jailbroken).

Unless Apple allows for Apps, there isn't anything a more powerful AppleTV will/could do. What would be selling point of the next AppleTV? 1080P? Already have it in the 3. Airplay and Airplay Mirroring? Supported on both AppleTV2 and AppleTV3. Internet streaming services? Supported on Both AppleTV2 and AppleTV3. There is nothing compelling that new hardware will offer to enhance the experience of the AppleTV (until maybe 4K televisions).

It's $99 for a reason....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.