Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1601
MacVidCards
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreEliasson View Post
Thank you MVP!
Do you think that PCIe v2 offers a noticeably increase in performance with a cMP 3.1 and a 750 ti or 970 versus PCIe v1?
As I have posted before, the 3,1 hits a glass ceiling with OpenGl and GPUs.

OpenCl and CUDA may not be as had hit by this.

With a 750 I doubt that the PCIE speed will have an impact.
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #1602
bunts
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Hi,

Does anyone know how I can install the Yosemite Nvidia web drivers on a Mac Pro 1,1 running Yosemite?

I get the message, 'This computer is not compatible with the NVIDIA Web Driver.'

Thank you.
bunts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #1603
Earl Urly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Someone had written a patch for some earlier drivers but I forgot who and how they did it. Unless it's patched out, those drivers won't work on a 1,1 or 2,1.. notice how nVidia says it's only for Mac Pros Early 2008 (3,1) and up..
Earl Urly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:37 AM   #1604
bunts
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thanks for the reply. I did a bit more digging and managed to patch the most recent drivers myself. All seems to be working fine on my Mac Pro 1,1 running Yosemite 👍
bunts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #1605
Earl Urly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
You wouldn't be possibly interested in sharing those drivers or pointing to the post that told you how to do it, would you?
Earl Urly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #1606
ThoreEliasson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
As I have posted before, the 3,1 hits a glass ceiling with OpenGl and GPUs.

OpenCl and CUDA may not be as had hit by this.

With a 750 I doubt that the PCIE speed will have an impact.
Thank you MVP, that is exactly the assessment I was looking for!
ThoreEliasson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #1607
bunts
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Urly View Post
You wouldn't be possibly interested in sharing those drivers or pointing to the post that told you how to do it, would you?
Hi, sure.

Here's the post I followed written by theBostonian:

-----------------------

nVidia have not released the 10.9.5 version yet so no one can mod them.

FYI the actual modding is very easy, once nVidia releases their updated driver I'll try and do it myself

Actually, anyone comfortable with the terminal can do it:

Expand the .pkg

Code:
pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver
use TextWrangler or other editor to edit var found_hardware = 0 to

Code:
var found_hardware = 1
Delete old .pkg then run this command:

Code:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg


-----------------------


If needed though, i'm happy to share the driver i've already patched. Can't guarantee it will work or won't harm your system though, although I imagine that's not likely.

Cheers

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunts View Post
Hi, sure.

Here's the post I followed written by theBostonian


nVidia have not released the 10.9.5 version yet so no one can mod them.

FYI the actual modding is very easy, once nVidia releases their updated driver I'll try and do it myself

Actually, anyone comfortable with the terminal can do it:

Expand the .pkg

Code:
pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver
use TextWrangler or other editor to edit var found_hardware = 0 to

Code:
var found_hardware = 1
Delete old .pkg then run this command:

Code:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg
[/B]

If need though, i'm happy to share the driver i've already patched. Can't guarantee it will work or won't harm your system though, although I imagine that's not likely.

Cheers

I simply did this with the newest drivers for Yosemite.

Last edited by bunts; Today at 03:04 PM.
bunts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #1608
Earl Urly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Okay, thanks, that's great that it seems to be a relatively simple matter to patch it out!
Earl Urly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:40 AM   #1609
Asgorath
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'll update the OP with those instructions, thanks!
Asgorath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:10 AM   #1610
rjheys
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Hi Guys. Very helpful thread, wonder if you can help me out. Im looking to replace the GTX 570 in my Mac Pro 4,1 and need something that can output 4K, I like the look of the GTX 970 but uncertain weather it can do 4K Out in OS X 10.10. Any ideas/recommendations for a 4K Mac card?
__________________
2.26 Octo Mac Pro, 15' MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone 3G S, iPad 32GB
rjheys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #1611
flowrider
macrumors 68000
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
^^^^From what I've been reading, the only difference with this driver vs. the f01 drivers is that it fixed and removed the "Cuda Update Required" message that showed up on boot and when the Cuda CP was queried.
Well, version f03 of the driver out today, and this one did remove the "Cuda Update Required" message required, at least on my first restart

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/79077/en-us

Lou
flowrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #1612
MassMacMan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston MetroWest
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
Well, version f03 of the driver out today, and this one did remove the "Cuda Update Required" message required, at least on my first restart

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/79077/en-us

Lou
Yes, mine as well. Good to see that Nvidia is attending to business!

Edit - I spoke too soon. After the first reboot, the CUDA 'Update Required' text re-appeared. And, CUDA is still non-functional.
__________________
Early 2009 MacPro 5.1, 3.33 gHz hex W3680, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB boot SSD, GTX 970
Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, 2.3 gHz, 16GB RAM

Last edited by MassMacMan; Today at 03:39 PM.
MassMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac-Compatible Nvidia Graphics Cards jblagden Mac Pro 7 Today 04:42 PM
Frequently Asked Questions About AMD PC (non-EFI) Graphics Cards? fiatlux Mac Pro 0 Mar 27, 2014 04:10 AM
General: Frequently Asked Jailbreak Questions tymaster50 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 21 Jun 4, 2013 04:43 PM
Windows 8 EFI Grpahics Drivers for nvidia cards d00ski Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Apr 2, 2013 11:06 AM
Full 10.7.5 11G63 installer boot w/ non-EFI NVIDIA? bbbc Mac Pro 2 Dec 6, 2012 06:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC