Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, I'm just wanting to know if anyone has any code for the "brains" of it.

I've read that Apple's AudioUnits would need to be used, but thats a bit above me.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yeah, I'm just wanting to know if anyone has any code for the "brains" of it.

I've read that Apple's AudioUnits would need to be used, but thats a bit above me.

A digital equaliser requires some rather complex maths, FFTs, manipulating the frequencies, transforming back, doing everything very carefully to avoid audible glitches, so I think going through the documentation for audio units is your best chance.

BTW. If you find something in there that allows changing playback speed without changing pitch I would be interested in hearing about that, just out of curiosity.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Free software

You might want to search for free open software doing audio editing. Reading the source code might help in understanding how the algorithms work. You might also have a starting point for experiments.

The projects coming to my mind are
Audacity -- I believe it only runs equalizer in "batch" mode
Ardour -- source code available

//gunnar

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
BTW. If you find something in there that allows changing playback speed without changing pitch I would be interested in hearing about that, just out of curiosity.

Core Audio on Mac OS X includes the AUTimePitch Audio Unit.

On iOS, Dirac reportedly sells a commercial time pitch library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.