Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osakakid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Just curious does Apple manage to fix the dust invasion problem
for the new iMac? Until then I will stay with my little MBP:rolleyes:

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Just curious does Apple manage to fix the dust invasion problem
for the new iMac? Until then I will stay with my little MBP:rolleyes:

It's a little early for that. It's only been about a week since they've started arriving. It will take at least 6-8 months before an official conclusion is reached.

toohectic

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
Is the "dust problem" in reference to dust getting trapped between the glass and the LCD panel? If so, it's solved since the new LCDs are laminated to the glass, and do not contain an air gap to collect dust in.

Funny thing though... my 2007 iMac has never had any dust get trapped between the glass and the LCD, and I consider my office to be pretty darn dusty at times. Maybe the models between 2007 and the new 2012 are more prone to dust issues. :confused:

snkrll

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
It's a little early for that. It's only been about a week since they've started arriving. It will take at least 6-8 months before an official conclusion is reached.

I think you are missing the consequences of one of the design features of the 2012 systems. The display and cover glass are laminated together. I.e. there is no gap between the two which reduces glare (double reflection on the inside), but also prevents dust from entering since there is no gap.

Last edited:

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I think you are missing the consequences of one of the design features of the 2012 systems. The display and cover glass are laminated together. I.e. there is no gap between the two which reduces glare (double reflection on the inside), but also prevents dust from entering since there is no gap.

I am well aware of the new design. However, the gap between the front glass and the display was never a big problem because you could simply pop-off the glass and just wipe it. The bigger problem was the cooling fans moving air across the screen assembly and fine dust particles entering the LCD assembly due to it not being properly sealed. To get rid of the dust would require a replacement of the LCD assembly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.