Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I know there has been an update already, to fix disconnection issues etc, but AC is still slower on OSX then other platforms. Reports show it could be fixed with a software update.
Has there been any rumour on Apple actually wrking on refining ac wifi on OSX??
I guess its new technology and still needs to be worked on and refined, but anything in the pipeline??

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/new-m...tificially-limiting-802-11ac-transfer-speeds/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you're still having trouble post-update, then you should take it to Apple to get serviced.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I know there has been an update already, to fix disconnection issues etc, but AC is still slower on OSX then other platforms. Reports show it could be fixed with a software update.
I guess its new technology and still needs to be worked on and refined, but anything in the pipeline??

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/new-m...tificially-limiting-802-11ac-transfer-speeds/

I am using a DRLINK AC router with my 2013 MacBook Air and I have not run into any issues.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
what you mean by speed issues? mine air on new AE works just fine - did not try LAN speeds, bud WAN works on maximum (120Mb/s)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

This was first documented by the Anandtech test, and I saw an article there that this latest patch has not fixed it. I have not seen any rumors about a forthcoming fix from Apple.

----------

what you mean by speed issues? mine air on new AE works just fine - did not try LAN speeds, bud WAN works on maximum (120Mb/s)

The problem is AC wireless speeds are not what they should be. Give this Ars article a read. Anandtech saw the same thing in their tests.

A 2013 MBA with OS X is getting 21.71MB/s on AC while the exact same machine running Windows is getting 47.26MB/s on AC. Something is wrong with the OS X networking implementation. Wireless AC speed on the new 2013 MBA under OS X is nowhere near what it should be, and this is what the OP is asking about.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The problem is AC wireless speeds are not what they should be. Give this Ars article a read. Anandtech saw the same thing in their tests.

A 2013 MBA with OS X is getting 21.71MB/s on AC while the exact same machine running Windows is getting 47.26MB/s on AC. Something is wrong with the OS X networking implementation. Wireless AC speed on the new 2013 MBA under OS X is nowhere near what it should be, and this is what the OP is asking about.

Sorry, yes this is exactly what I meant - as mentioned in the source link on the first post (I guess no-one wanted to read the article!).

Its most certainly a software issue, so I guess all we can do is sit back and wait for Apple to roll out a fix!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I'm sure Apple is working on it. Frankly for most of us, we are still running N networks so this artificial limitation isn't noticed. Further, most Internet speeds are quite a bit slower than 22MB/s (176 mbps) so the only time this comes into play is around file transfers via wifi. At this point I wouldn't see this as a make or break reason for buying the new MBA unlike the previous wifi issue that meant your MBA was unusable!

So in conclusion: This is makin a mountain out of a mole hill for most and is easily corrected in a software update (probably about the time the updated rMBPs are released)

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm sure Apple is working on it. Frankly for most of us, we are still running N networks so this artificial limitation isn't noticed. Further, most Internet speeds are quite a bit slower than 22MB/s (176 mbps) so the only time this comes into play is around file transfers via wifi. At this point I wouldn't see this as a make or break reason for buying the new MBA unlike the previous wifi issue that meant your MBA was unusable!

So in conclusion: This is makin a mountain out of a mole hill for most and is easily corrected in a software update (probably about the time the updated rMBPs are released)

agreed. in my experience, net speed bottlenecks are generally upstream of my router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.