Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
There's nothing new about gaming on Macs. I've been playing FPS games on Mac since Ghost Recon. I've played the entire COD series right to the latest MW3. Some natively and when no port is available, some in wrappers. I've always had excellent graphic experiences with wide screen modes in high res and high effects.

I think what most hard core PC gamers fail to realize is that the majority of windows PC sold are mediocre compared to the Macs. The high end PCs are as much a minority as Macs are inthe big picture.

When it comes to gaming, there's nowhere Mac could come close to Windows platform. If you're saying you had excellent gaming experience on a Mac, maybe you're (too) easily satisfied.

So far I use OSX only for works, and Boot Camp for having fun, and also a little bit of works. Some of my friends are casual gamer, and it's not that hard for them to admit games are better on Windows side.

Most memorable moment when I tried to play NFS Carbon on OSX using 2010 iMac with Radeon 5 series and it's still laggy as hell. It's a 8 years old game, seriously? Use the same iMac and play it on Boot Camp and it's smooth as butter.

Well that's it.. beside Angry Birds or Cut The Rope (if you ever call that games), no more for me on Mac OS.

On the other fence though, iOS is the king of mobile gaming, while Windows Mobile looks like fart. You see, Apple could've been serious about Mac gaming if they want to. But they don't. Fact!!

I'd say .. irony.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
When it comes to gaming, there's nowhere Mac could come close to Windows platform. If you're saying you had excellent gaming experience on a Mac, maybe you're (too) easily satisfied.

So far I use OSX only for works, and Boot Camp for having fun, and also a little bit of works. Some of my friends are casual gamer, and it's not that hard for them to admit games are better on Windows side.

Most memorable moment when I tried to play NFS Carbon on OSX using 2010 iMac with Radeon 5 series and it's still laggy as hell. It's a 8 years old game, seriously? Use the same iMac and play it on Boot Camp and it's smooth as butter.

Well that's it.. beside Angry Birds or Cut The Rope (if you ever call that games), no more for me on Mac OS.

On the other fence though, iOS is the king of mobile gaming, while Windows Mobile looks like fart. You see, Apple could've been serious about Mac gaming if they want to. But they don't. Fact!!

I'd say .. irony.

Cod4 at max res and max effects on a 27" screen is too easily satisfied? And that was three years ago. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. As I said before the majority of windows machines are low end components and don't perform as well as a Mac. The high end windows machines used by dedicated or hard core gamers are as small a piece of the PC market as are Macs.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Cod4 at max res and max effects is too easily satisfied? And that was three years ago. As I said before the majority of windows machines are low end components and don't perform as well as a Mac. The high end windows machines used by dedicated or hard core gamers are as small a piece of the PC market as are Macs.

Let alone PC world, high performance Macintosh (top spec iMac or MacPro) is not exactly the most popular Mac out there. MBP and MBA are the pop stars out there.

Still, Mac games always get the trash out of Windows' a** .. How long do you have to wait before games appearing on Mac after it's been released on PC like years ago? No matter when you're gonna buy or play, at least those should be available right from the beginning.

You see the latest GTA out there for Mac is San Andreas .. Yeah, it was made in 2004 for Windows. But it was "new and noteworthy" to Mac AppStore in 2012 .. Seriously? Even GTA IV is quite outdated by today's standard.

But of course Infinity Blade or Real Racing is out for iOS almost immediately. Why? Why not doing the same with Mac? Sure some people love to play Where's my Water, but what about the other? I'm sure Mac users don't mind to play Mass Effect 3 or Max Payne in OSX. Obviously, Apple don't even try for Mac gaming.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Let alone PC world, high performance Macintosh (top spec iMac or MacPro) is not exactly the most popular Mac out there. MBP and MBA are the pop stars out there.

Still, Mac games always get the trash out of Windows' a** .. How long do you have to wait before games appearing on Mac after it's been released on PC like years ago? No matter when you're gonna buy or play, at least those should be available right from the beginning.

You see the latest GTA out there for Mac is San Andreas .. Yeah, it was made in 2004 for Windows. But it was "new and noteworthy" to Mac AppStore in 2012 .. Seriously? Even GTA IV is quite outdated by today's standard.

But of course Infinity Blade or Real Racing is out for iOS almost immediately. Why? Why not doing the same with Mac? Sure some people love to play Where's my Water, but what about the other? I'm sure Mac users don't mind to play Mass Effect 3 or Max Payne in OSX. Obviously, Apple don't even try for Mac gaming.

I bought MW3 the weekend it was released, fantastic game. Granted I run it mostly in Crossover, but in bootcamp I can crank the settings high on a 2009 iMac.

And why question Apple over the release of games? They have nothing to do with the business decisions game developers and publishers make. Including those that produce for iOS. Ever heard of ROI? They put their investment into the biggest markets then after maxing profits, decide when/if to invest in smaller markets.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I bought MW3 the weekend it was released, fantastic game. Granted I run it mostly in Crossover, but in bootcamp I can crank the settings high on a 2009 iMac.

And why question Apple over the release of games? They have nothing to do with the business decisions game developers and publishers make. Including those that produce for iOS. Ever heard of ROI? They put their investment into the biggest markets then after maxing profits, decide when/if to invest in smaller markets.

Yeah that was my point. You could buy highest performance Mac money could buy, but when it's about gaming, you'd still need Windows, be it run natively under Boot Camp or virtually. You can crank up your gaming under Windows, and it runs buttery smooth when you have the right hardware, even if it's an intel Mac.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Yeah that was my point. You could buy highest performance Mac money could buy, but when it's about gaming, you'd still need Windows, be it run natively under Boot Camp or virtually. You can crank up your gaming under Windows, and it runs buttery smooth when you have the right hardware, even if it's an intel Mac.

Well my point was that even if it’s not out for OS X, the Mac computer is a very capable gaming machine if you don't want to wait for the port.

But under OS X ported games I've played Ghost Recon, COD1, 2, 4, Battlefield 1942 & 2142, Bioshock 2, AOE3, Assasins Creed series, Splinter Cell Conviction and others; all very enjoyable response times in high to max settings.

As far as highest $$ can buy, my son is still gaming on our 2008 24" iMac. Even for the 10+ years I was gaming on DOS/Windows, the machines to have were the latest greatest CPU/GPU's that cost 2-3x the average PC on the market. Unless you didn't mind playing at average or below average settings, which is exactly how THE AVERAGE PC user plays (that plays games) because they don't upgrade every 2-3 years to stay on the bleeding edge just for game performance.

I played Wolfenstein 3D on a 386, had to go to 486 to play Doom & Duke Nukem, then to Pentium class to play MechWarrior2 and Quake, then to Pentium3 (or 4?) for Ghost Recon (that was the game I transitioned to a Mac G3while playing). Same old same, same old regardless of OS.

I've been gaming on OS X for over 10 years now, those who say OS X isn’t a viable gaming platform simply haven't tried it or are doing something wrong.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well my point was that even if it’s not out for OS X, the Mac computer is a very capable gaming machine if you don't want to wait for the port.

But under OS X ported games I've played Ghost Recon, COD1, 2, 4, Battlefield 1942 & 2142, Bioshock 2, AOE3, Assasins Creed series, Splinter Cell Conviction and others; all very enjoyable response times in high to max settings.

As far as highest $$ can buy, my son is still gaming on our 2008 24" iMac. Even for the 10+ years I was gaming on DOS/Windows, the machines to have were the latest greatest CPU/GPU's that cost 2-3x the average PC on the market. Unless you didn't mind playing at average or below average settings, which is exactly how THE AVERAGE PC user plays (that plays games) because they don't upgrade every 2-3 years to stay on the bleeding edge just for game performance.

I played Wolfenstein 3D on a 386, had to go to 486 to play Doom & Duke Nukem, then to Pentium class to play MechWarrior2 and Quake, then to Pentium3 (or 4?) for Ghost Recon (that was the game I transitioned to a Mac G3while playing). Same old same, same old regardless of OS.

I've been gaming on OS X for over 10 years now, those who say OS X isn’t a viable gaming platform simply haven't tried it or are doing something wrong.

To be clear I'm not opposing you about Mac hardware, so I don't really see what's our difference here. In fact I believe a few handful of Mac computers could handle modern games just fine, as I stated earlier. A 2011 iMac with 6970M GPU is a decent choice, even outdated MacPro with Radeon 5870 or dual Radeon could still run games easily.

So yes, a few Mac products could be a versatile gaming machine, too bad many people only stick to their sleek looking Macbook Air now.

I was talking about the OS, you can buy powerful Mac computer, and you'd need Boot Camp Windows, or at least VMs installed to enjoy the fullest gaming experience. Sure OSX has a few ported games too, but most of the time it's always outdated big titles, or simply casual games. (Blizzard games are the only exceptions because they usually released on Mac & PCs at the same time).

And in my experience, graphics or FPS rates under OSX usually below what you could achieve on Boot Camp with the very SAME Mac hardware.

Plus how long until you're gonna see big player games as Battlefied 3, or Max Payne, or Mass Effect series to run natively under OSX, if ever? 4 .. 5 years from now? It's up to you if want to buy it years later, but hey ... on Windows it's already on the shelves whenever you want it. Run Boot Camp on your Mac and it's playtime!

Just imagine sir, if I only depend on OSX for gaming, it means the biggest games I ever played today on Mac is Black Ops, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, StarCraft II, Diablo III. I just can't optimize my hardware today, and so if I have to wait another 4 years to have 2012 big titles to be available on Mac, maybe I already sell this Mac and upgrade by then. This machine would never see lights of the day.

I just want to use my 2011 machine for 2011 games and a few years beyond, not for 2008 titles. I think that's why you bought a powerful gaming machine, even if it's a Mac.

Last edited:

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
COD 4 - better than Windows!

It would be great to have a decent mac compatible controller

I have been using a Saitek Pro-Gamer command unit on my iMac playing COD 4 since November. No native Saitek OSX drivers, but I use Controllermate v4 which is flawless in use. CM v4 looks like it will pretty much control anything, I have heard rumours of people using Xbox controllers through it etc.

The iMac is awesome for COD4 and chomps it up and spits it out at huge screen sizes and ultimate settings!

Lastly, I've been play COD titles up to MW on PC and when I reloaded COD4 in Nov (mac version) I was amazed just how alive and vibrant the online gaming
community on these old titles are! You can waste 30mins or 4hrs, quite easily!

----------

Ok you cod people, what is a decent but not too expensive mouse for cod 4 on the mac?

Has to be something I can use for general use too.

Thanks

Looking forward to black ops

Sorry, forget it I was just being lazy..... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/593586/

I've been using the Apple supplied glass mouse that came with the iMac and it works fine! Get the odd burp out of it they to right click, but not often. It is remarkably quick!

Philly

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
UK
I'm running Mountain Lion and while COD4 works fine, punkbuster does not and I keep getting kicked off....

Anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

nameIess

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

True, and I am one of those people. I play for a couple of hours for a day or two every couple of months. However since the mac is lagging behind, I end up playing the games on pc, xbox and ps3 (heck even ipad). By the time a game is released on the mac, i've already got my dosage and the game is just too old 'technologically' to be bothered with at the time of its released on the mac.

Anyway, I came across this thread because I'm on a business trip for six months with nothing but my macbook air. not even ipad. and the tv only speaks german :(

I'm bored to death in the evenings and looking for games to play on the mac. so far i have found nothing. yes CoD4 is available on at the ap store... but should i take a risk of buying it and then not be able to play it? heck there is not even a demo of the game! makes me thing it sucks terribly on mac!

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
If the game companies do not release the lose money.

Trearch has no reason to not release games for mac on time in fact they are loseing money by not doing it. When they do not release the games on time they are hacked and downloaded by the pirates of the world wide web.

dcanona

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Miami, Florida, US
And that will change what exactly? I find the game, realize that i haven’t played it yet, but the moment i see it’s 2 years old i run away disgusted?

This whole gamer thing is a sad little story every time.

Never said a two year old game isn't playable or enjoyable. Hell, I still play the original Halo, which is an 11 year old game. COD 2 is another one (7 years old).

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

I’m for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.

What if you felt like playing it an year earlier, when it came out ya know

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Hey, I can remember way back when this came was relevant! Very cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.