Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
With the preview program or Adobe Acrobat? I'm unable to goto HOME and END of a document in one click with the preview program. I'm using the command plus up direction key but it doesnt work.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I just use Preview.

I never usually need to go to the start or end of a document,
however have you tried using [Fn] + [Left Arrow] and [Fn] + [Right Arrow]?

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
I actually started using adobe acrobat last week, the major differences are that acrobat opens faster (at least for me), and has the ability to recognize and edit text and images on PDFs and the ability to make polls.

If you can get Acrobat I think you should if you deal with PDFs very often. If you would like to save some money stay as you are, preview does that job perfectly fine.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use both Acrobat X Pro and Preview. Just depends on what I need to do to the PDF as to which program I use. I tend to use Acrobat more due to all the options I have to wok with. Especially if I am doing interactive forms. I will use Preview for quick checks.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I just use Preview.

I never usually need to go to the start or end of a document,
however have you tried using [Fn] + [Left Arrow] and [Fn] + [Right Arrow]?

No didn't work. How does one goto HOME and END of a document in Preview?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
By pressing Option + up arrow or Option + down arrow.

Interesting, those shortcuts just makes mine go forward and backwards by one page. Whereas fn + left/right acts as home and end.

I wonder if the shortcuts are different depending on which keyboard and keyboard layout you are using.
I'm trying this on a MBP built in keyboard with a British layout, and a MP with an aluminium bluetooth Apple keyboard (also with a British layout.)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Interesting, those shortcuts just makes mine go forward and backwards by one page. Whereas fn + left/right acts as home and end.

I wonder if the shortcuts are different depending on which keyboard and keyboard layout you are using.
I'm trying this on a MBP built in keyboard with a British layout, and a MP with an aluminium bluetooth Apple keyboard (also with a British layout.)

No, you're right, mine functions the same way as yours does. I misread the other persons question.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009

That worked. Thank you!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I use Adobe Reader. I'm familiar with it and it works well. As for Preview I never liked the program for PDF viewing. It just doesn't feel right.

Perhaps it's because I use keyboard shortcuts for most stuff. I can't recall as the only time I use Preview is on a fresh install when I open a PDF and forgot to install Reader. All I can say is that whenever I used Preview I didn't like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.