Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
So in just over a period of 2 years and 7 months, Samsung has hit the 100 Million mark. Very impressive indeed. I have to say, out of all the manufacturers out there, Samsung is in the best position to completely take over the market. From supplying some of the best components, to making it's own devices and now it's own OS. 2013 should be a very interesting and telling year for the mobile industry.

SOURCE

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
One word: Incredible!

You know, it's still hard to believe how much the Galaxy S line has advanced in such a short period of time. Kudos to Samsung for not getting fat and lazy with the success of each release of the Galaxy S.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Samsungs achievements are very impressive. The Galaxy line has become an icon of quality, performance, and leading edge functionality.

A true competitor, they've brought a lot of value to the smartphone space.

Thanks to Samsung, Apples got true competition. A fact that benefits everyone.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Good for Samsung. If it weren't for Samsung, we would likely still be stuck with toyish 3.5 inch screens with gawdy fischer price like user interfaces with too much faux pau blue gradients, pinstripes, and rounded corners. Samsung pioneered large screen phones and has top skills in every conceivable area.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Good for Samsung. If it weren't for Samsung, we would likely still be stuck with toyish 3.5 inch screens with gawdy fischer price like user interfaces with too much faux pau blue gradients, pinstripes, and rounded corners. Samsung pioneered large screen phones and has top skills in every conceivable area.

The HTC Evo was the first android super phone that ushered in the specs/screen size race.

It was also the best single selling android phone in the USA in 2010 and 2011.

It wasn't until the GS2 that the Evo was knocked off of its perch.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Just to put things into perspective. I wouldn't call Samsung an icon of quality:rolleyes: Just a few issues that has plagued Galaxy line owners: Poor hardware/build quality, the Exynos security hole (still no official fix for the Note 2), the 'sudden death' of phones (Just Google it for some funny reading), and poor after sales customer sevice. It seems to me that Samsung has been good at aggressive marketing and pricing. Reading the latest threads I see that Apple/iPhone bashing has become a trend lately. While some of the criticism is justified; the majority is just good old hype...

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

Once again, something from you that isn't even remotely true. When will you learn.....

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
I have the s3 now my next phone probably won't be a Samsung but ill try and go with the nexus model

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
If Samsung really delivers with the s4 it'll be nuts. They have even more recognition now than ever.

You'd be amazed at how many iPhone owners switched to the SIII including myself. Everyone gave me a hard time for jumping ship back in June ahead of the iPhone 5 launch. However many of those same people have either switched themselves, or are going to switch when they have an available upgrade. I am a seasoned vet with Apple(Mac user) dating back before the launch of the original iPhone, so I hate seeing Apple lose the race here. But their conservative upgrades have become too much. How will Apple compete with 5" 1080P screens? Retina doesn't mean much anymore unfortunately. :cool:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Samsung hit it pretty well with the Galaxy S line.

Do you guys think some irrational Samsung hater will storm in completely negating the article and claiming "LOLOL SAMSUNG DID IT WITH 50 SMARTPHONEZ APPLE DOES IT WITH 1, THIS IS SHIPPED NOT SOLD AND SAMSSUNG STEALZ FROM APPLE AND ABUSED ME AS A CHILD".

We have been overdue for one of those.

Attachments

• meh.PNG
    meh.PNG
    73.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You'd be amazed at how many iPhone owners switched to the SIII including myself. Everyone gave me a hard time for jumping ship back in June ahead of the iPhone 5 launch. However many of those same people have either switched themselves, or are going to switch when they have an available upgrade. I am a seasoned vet with Apple(Mac user) dating back before the launch of the original iPhone, so I hate seeing Apple lose the race here. But their conservative upgrades have become too much. How will Apple compete with 5" 1080P screens? Retina doesn't mean much anymore unfortunately. :cool:

I know a ton of people myself that have switched and are planning to switch, too.

The tides are changing...

----------

Im wondering if Sammy is gonna make the overall device bigger or not.
Im guessing a 5" screen but with smaller bezels.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see. I'm excited.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Im wondering if Sammy is gonna make the overall device bigger or not.
Im guessing a 5" screen but with smaller bezels.

If the leaked press shot can be trusted they just removed the hardware button and minimized the bezel. The screen size went up but the dimensions of the phone did not. I honestly think Samsung wants to keep the Galaxy S phones at 5 inches and let the Note do all the bigger sizes.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Samsung hit it pretty well with the Galaxy S line.

Do you guys think some irrational Samsung hater will storm in completely negating the article and claiming "LOLOL SAMSUNG DID IT WITH 50 SMARTPHONEZ APPLE DOES IT WITH 1, THIS IS SHIPPED NOT SOLD AND SAMSSUNG STEALZ FROM APPLE AND ABUSED ME AS A CHILD".

We have been overdue for one of those.

Lol - coming from an admittedly biased Apple fan, these numbers are Galaxy S line only so the 50 to 1 line can't be backed up....

Good for Samsung, even though I'm not a fan of their phones or the company as a whole - it's fun to see competition in the marketplace. That's what drives change and "innovation".

And the fact Apple and Samsung hate each other only makes the competition more fierce - no need to worry about a duopoly here!

Personally though - I'd love to see HTC get a crack at a Nexus phone.....LG clearly dropped the ball, Samsung's made a few, why not give HTC a swing? I'd like to see them (HTC), Sony (and whatever Googorola can come up with) get back in the fight as well.

Anyways - kudos Galaxy line - only 150 million more to go to catch up with the iPhone! :p (had to throw a jab in there somewhere ;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.