Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #26
radek42
macrumors regular

Also considering D300s

Greetings,

I am in the similar position as OP with my trusty D70 acting up and finally needing replacement after almost ten years of use.

I went from store-to-store trying D7000/D7100, D600/800, as well as D300s (I had hard time finding it tho). I even tried Canons but I am not a big fan of one dial and big wheel on the back.

Since I have DX lenses I was looking and APS-C sensor (and perhaps make a jump to FX at next upgrade) which leaves me with either D7100 or D300s. Interestingly, anytime I ask for D300s I get: "Why? D7100 is much better."

For me, handling and size of D300s feels much better than D7100. Of course, you are paying for nearly decade-old sensor. Looking at dpreview.com, noise performance is pretty close to D7100 even at ISO 6400 ...

My question is: Is it really unreasonable to pull a trigger of D300s these days?

R>

PS. I keep coming back to nikonrumors.com looking for news on D400/D9000 to replace D300s. With no acute rumors at this time, perhaps D7100 really is meant to replace/merge D300s line.
radek42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkramer View Post
Where is the best place to find a refurb D7000? I'd like to check out the price on those as it looks like a pretty good camera. I like the price of the D3200, but not sure if I'd want to go without the autofocus motor, although the lenses I use the most are AF-S so I might be able to get by with manual focus when I use the others.
Just remember that used and refurbished cameras may not have much of a warranty. If you buy a new camera with a credit card, you get the cameras warranty and if the credit card provides it, a warranty extension through the credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek42 View Post
My question is: Is it really unreasonable to pull a trigger of D300s these days?
Considering that I'm still using a D200 that I got new? No, I don't think it is that unreasonable to get a D300s.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 01:35 PM   #28
talmy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek42 View Post
PS. I keep coming back to nikonrumors.com looking for news on D400/D9000 to replace D300s. With no acute rumors at this time, perhaps D7100 really is meant to replace/merge D300s line.
It would be a real shame if that were the case, but it does seem that Nikon thinks that "professional" users only used DX until FX became available. DX was just a technology stop-gap. Frankly, that's certainly true. There never would have been DX sensor cameras if full frame sensors were inexpensively available from the start of the digital camera age.

That said, I love my D300s and shudder at the though of the cost to go back to full frame, not just for the body cost but also the new lenses I'd have to buy.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography