Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjipNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Does anyone know if the new iPod touch (with Lightning connector) will work with the Apple iPod Hi-Fi, using the adapter that Apple will be selling?

I'm just a bit confused with all the different terminology (and whether the iPod Hi-Fi takes digital or analogue input). I realise the new iPod touch most likely won't charge while docked on the Hi-Fi (the 4th gen one doesn't either as it's not Firewire).

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Does anyone know if the new iPod touch (with Lightning connector) will work with the Apple iPod Hi-Fi, using the adapter that Apple will be selling?

I'm just a bit confused with all the different terminology (and whether the iPod Hi-Fi takes digital or analogue input). I realise the new iPod touch most likely won't charge while docked on the Hi-Fi (the 4th gen one doesn't either as it's not Firewire).

The Lightning-to-30Pin adapter does include an integrated digital-to-analog converter chip that can provide stereo audio output in an analog format which ought to be recognized by most legacy 30-pin docks. So that part of it ought to work.

However, it apparently doesn't support the "iPod-out" feature, which was the mechanism that used to allow an external remote control to adjust the volume, skip tracks, fast-forward and rewind, etc.

From a mechanical perspective, you will probably find that the adapter will prevent your iPod from sitting snugly in the dock, and that may have a negative impact on the overall stability of the set-up. That adapter will be in a perfect position to accidentally snap in two, possibly doing damage to either the HiFi or the iPod in the process.

BenjipNZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Thank you for your reply. You're probably right about the physical/mechanics of it all but good to know it should work technically.

I'll update this thread if I end up buying the new iPod touch.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Thank you for your reply. You're probably right about the physical/mechanics of it all but good to know it should work technically.

I'll update this thread if I end up buying the new iPod touch.

I'll be anxious to hear! Literally the only think I've been dreading is not being able to use my hifi! I'm thinking it will work. It will not chage, I'd put money on that. The trick will be getting the adapter to be stable so it will hold the iphone, ipod touch etc. I'm wondering if an old ipod nano dock adapter would give support for the adapter. But then the question is about the iphone/touch/nano being stable with just the lightning plugged in. Many questions they conveniently left unanswered at the introduction!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I would recommend getting the lightning adapter that has a cable between the 32 pin and the 8 pin ends and leaving the iPod on the table outside of the Apple Hi-Fi unit. It should work well and you negate any issues with the fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.