Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Hi Guys,

I'm obviously new to the site but I come here for all my info regarding Apple news and tips from fellow Apple users.

I recently sold my old iPhone 4 on eBay to a country oversees (I am located in the US). I made the classic mistake of not sending the package global express with tracking. So essentially, I have no way of knowing if the buyer has actually received the phone. I realize this is my fault and I simply shipped first class to save some money on shipping (stupid I know). The buyer is claiming he has not received the phone yet it has been close to 5 weeks.

Is there any way to find out if the phone has been activated? I'm basically out close to $300 if I can't some way prove that the buyer received the phone.:mad:

Any other help or suggestions are welcome...

Please do not flame, I understand this is my own fault and I obviously won't make this mistake again.

Thanks for your time!

Ouch, that sucks big time. I never sell overseas because of this kind of stuff. Too many dishonest cons overseas.

CPD23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Don't pay the guy back, just stall him aslong as possible and eventually he will file a complaint with PayPal.. it's still too early to tell if the phone is lost and i have a feeling you wont see the money again if you refund him, once he has $300 back in his account it would be damn hard to hand it back over when the phone arrives.

You need to protect yourself in these situations and that is stating clearly that you will be shipping tracked and signed for, if they don't like it then they can go elsewhere, if you stated this and decided not to bother to save a few quid then i'm sorry but it's your own fault.

Did you send it to his verified address? another common scam is getting the seller to send the item to a 'familys address' or some other unverified address, it's sounds harmless because people do work and do need items shipping elsewhere, but then they can switch it back on you and say it never arrived at the address, the address on the account.. they would usually ask you to ship it elsewhere outside of ebay so there is less chance of the conversation being logged.

I'm not going to issue a refund until ample time goes by for it to hopefully be delivered. I forgot I had downloaded the find my iphone app on the 4. Unfortunately it shows the phone being offline. At this point, I think it's stuck in customs as the buyer has been overly willing to do anything in his power to help. And I will do the right thing and credit him if it comes to that.

Clearly, I know this is MY mistake. I have shipped Jordan shoes to China, Spain, Ukraine, etc. many times always using tracking. Like I said in my original post, this is the only time I have failed to do so and it's a great reminder why tracking and delivery confirmation are so important. I hope someone else on here learns a lesson from this as well and doesn't skimp on shipping charges to save a few bucks.

Thank you to everyone who posted, good or bad. I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my story and weigh in.

I'll update this when there is closure.

----------

not to sound harsh or anything... but you really counldn't find someone within the country to buy a high-demand phone which is sold out everywhere? :confused:

iPhone 4 is over 2 years old, not necessarily in "high demand", but could I have sold it locally for $150? Yes.

----------

Even if you do find out who has the phone, no authority in Hungary is going to help you.

I understand that.

----------

For future selling.

1. Do not sell internationally

2. Do not ship to unconfirmed paypal address

3. DO send with tracking and delivery confirmation

4. DO take a picture or video of the phone functioning and then being sealed and handed to the post office. It may get weird looks, but that is evidence in itself!

I've never heard of someone taking video of them handing the package to the post office. Sounds like a good idea with a collectible item.

----------

What is sad is people will now blame ebay for this and it was the fault of the seller and greed.

I'm definitely not blaming eBay for this. I admit this is my fault. I have no one to blame but myself.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Clearly, I know this is MY mistake. I have shipped Jordan shoes to China, Spain, Ukraine, etc. many times always using tracking.

shoes get tracking and insurance but iphone gets nothing.......... :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I cant see people in the post office stealing shoes but an iphone even though 2 years old is still high in demand.
Especially in poor countries like Hungary.
Any electronics like cellphones, laptops, ipads, ipods will dissapear quick sending overseas. Also if you add in the description on the customs form that its in iphone you can bet many will read it on the way to its destination and most will decide to make it disappear like Hoodini.

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
did first class mail include tracking at least?

usually first class mail comes with tracking in my experience but not sure.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Hi Guys,

I'm obviously new to the site but I come here for all my info regarding Apple news and tips from fellow Apple users.

I recently sold my old iPhone 4 on eBay to a country oversees (I am located in the US). I made the classic mistake of not sending the package global express with tracking. So essentially, I have no way of knowing if the buyer has actually received the phone. I realize this is my fault and I simply shipped first class to save some money on shipping (stupid I know). The buyer is claiming he has not received the phone yet it has been close to 5 weeks.

Is there any way to find out if the phone has been activated? I'm basically out close to $300 if I can't some way prove that the buyer received the phone.:mad:

Please do not flame, I understand this is my own fault and I obviously won't make this mistake again.

Thanks for your time!

Did you fill out a customs form? There is a customs declaration number on top of that form. Plug it into the USPS tracking page and see what turns up.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How many feedbacks does the buyer have? How long have they been registered on ebay? If the feedback is under 10 and they've joined ebay within a year, your odds of being screwed, as in scammed, are pretty high.

I wouldn't knock yourself out taking video of handing a box to a postal clerk. Paypal *might* side with you *if* you film the entire packing process, running the camera continuously all the way to the post office for the handoff. Otherwise, all anyone would have to do is film themselves handing a potentially empty box to a clerk, or even someone dressed as a clerk. As video becomes more and more easily editable, it has far less evidentiary power.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
As others have said, you're pretty much out of luck.

I know you already know this by now but just to reiterate
1) Probably safest to ship within same country
2) Packages are more likely to get "lost" when switching carriers. Better to just ship via fedex or UPS. Im not even sure you can get international tracking on USPS for this reason.

Good luck though

I wouldn't knock yourself out taking video of handing a box to a postal clerk. Paypal *might* side with you *if* you film the entire packing process, running the camera continuously all the way to the post office for the handoff. Otherwise, all anyone would have to do is film themselves handing a potentially empty box to a clerk, or even someone dressed as a clerk. As video becomes more and more easily editable, it has far less evidentiary power.

I dont think they should imo. if im the buyer, it's not really my problem why it was never delivered, even if it made its way to the post office. I just know that I want my product.

CPD23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

I'm not talking cheap shoes...

The Jordan shoes I have sold internationally have sold for between $300-$600.

Was I careless selling the iPhone? You bet.

----------

did first class mail include tracking at least?

usually first class mail comes with tracking in my experience but not sure.

Nope, it sure doesn't. I know, stupid of me to send first class.

----------

How many feedbacks does the buyer have? How long have they been registered on ebay? If the feedback is under 10 and they've joined ebay within a year, your odds of being screwed, as in scammed, are pretty high.

The buyer has been on eBay for a few months and has racked up 120 feedback's. Mainly buying small electronics type items. Headphones, chargers, etc...However, I did come across another listing that he bought an iPhone from another seller. The seller shipped first class international (as stated in their listing) and positive feedback was left by the seller the day after. However, no feedback left from the buyer. I have tried to contact this seller to see if he had any issues with the buyer but I have yet to receive a response. Kind of curious to see if this guy tried to scam another eBayer as well..

----------

Did you fill out a customs form? There is a customs declaration number on top of that form. Plug it into the USPS tracking page and see what turns up.

All it shows is that the package was received at the post office I mailed it from and it shows it was sent out. No details after that...

----------

Not just shoes...Jordans. :cool:

(I'm talking classic Jordan's, not the crap being released today)

Coming from a Heat fan, I sense some sarcasm...

Am I correct?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've read instances on where the parcel was signed for but then the buyer reports their is no phone in the box.

Bad days !

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your time!

One time I bought something from over seas, after 6 weeks I filed a claim because I honestly never received it. eBay returned my money and 3 days later guess what came in the mail. I was able to get the seller his money back but sometimes with customs and all that it takes some time.

On the other hand, people like to use eBay as a way to scam unknowing sellers out of items when items are shipped without signature confirmation. This is the reason why many people state they refuse to ship internationally and always require a signature.

If the phone is CDMA I would make sure to report the MEID as lost or stolen if you do end up having to give them a refund. If it's GSM make sure to do the same. At&t will refuse to unlock the device for other carriers if it's on their block list and if someone is overseas they probably can't use it unless it's unlocked.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

I fell for this very same scam and I an extremely careful consumer. I shipped USPS International Flat Rate Box. To my surprise, the small boxes don't track internationally (the medium and large boxes do).

Lesson learned for me. Always insure and pass the shipping charge onto the International buyer. eBay & PayPal will not support you since you can't prove it arrived. In other words, you lose!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted

I fell for this very same scam and I an extremely careful consumer. I shipped USPS International Flat Rate Box. To my surprise, the small boxes don't track internationally (the medium and large boxes do).

Lesson learned for me. Always insure and pass the shipping charge onto the International buyer. eBay & PayPal will not support you since you can't prove it arrived. In other words, you lose!

It is not a scam when a seller ships an item to an address out of the country and refuses to pay a few bucks extra for shipping. You cannot call this a scam unless you know it reached the intended destination and since the OP does not, it is not a scam. Currently, it is just a dumb mistake plain and simple.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
very well said

Sorry, but you lose. No way to ever figure out if the phone made it there or whether it has been activated. The new owner, whether the buyer or someone else, probably when into DFU mode and wiped the phone and is happily using it. :( Always ship insured. You can file a complaint through ebay, and you might get reimbursed. by the way, where did you ship it to? Going through customs can take a few months in some countries.
i agree always go for ship insured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.