Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askipper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2008
I've just switched my living room ATV1 to an ATV3 so I can get access to Netflix and 1080p playback.

Overall it's ok though I hate the fact you have to go to Computers to view your own content - much preferred the ATV1 udi where My Movies were under Movies and My Music was under Music etc etc

Anyway.....

2 problems and wondering if anyone knows a way around it?

1) I have 2 iTunes accounts - UK and USA. Since I'm UK based the iMac and all the iOS devices have the UK account set up on them. The iMac that had the HD with all movies/content etc is also set up with iTunes on the UK account.

The ATV1 used to have the USA account set up on it - had it this way historically as the US is often cheaper for movie purchases and also I had an ipad from the US before it came out in the UK etc etc....

Anyway - the ATV1 dealt with this no problem. You'd buy a movie on the ATV1 with the US account and it would play on any iOS device or the iMac.

However, now, on the ATV3 - it says it won't play the USA purchased content.

So, I thought I'd set the ATV3 up with the US account - nope - due to ATV2/3 using home sharing etc. the ATV3 and the iMac streaming the content have to have the same Apple ID to work.

Does anyone know a way around this? Otherwise all my US purchased content is going to (Somehow) be ripped without the DRM so it will play - real pain in the ass since I own the damn content in the first place.

PRoblem 2

Stuttering - I've noticed a lot of my previous rips (owned DVD's - ripped using standard Apple TV preset on Handbrake) now stutter like a frame is missing every second. Can't say I ever noticed that on the old ATV....but... I have changed TV to a full HD 1080p Panasonic plasma too on the same day - so not sure.

I 'think' it maybe something to do with the difference between pal/ntsc type thing? Anyone know anything about this? Don't want to have to re-rip 500+ movies!!!

Finally - last question - Handbrake ATV3 preset - any good - how does it handle SD dvd's?

Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.