Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
My friend who bought his Galaxy SIII the same day I bought my iPhone 5 has had repeated problems. Anecdotally his phone randomly reboots, randomly shuts down, all by itself as well and seems to be very erratic in its operation. He had buyers remorse two weeks into ownership. Which is too bad - the screen seems very nice for a droid phone.

I have the S3 for 6 months and never experienced a random reboot/shutdown. I just checked my phone status and it is now 1263 hrs (52 days) since last reboot which happened when I upgraded to jellybean firmware.

So, is your friend an imaginary friend? I rarely come across REAL S3 owners reporting random reboot/shutdown or erratic behaviour.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I have the S3 for 6 months and never experienced a random reboot/shutdown. I just checked my phone status and it is now 1263 hrs (52 days) since last reboot which happened when I upgraded to jellybean firmware.

So, is your friend an imaginary friend? I rarely come across REAL S3 owners reporting random reboot/shutdown or erratic behaviour.

I reboot all the time. Usually because I am flashing a different custom ROM and I'm in CWM or TWRP Recovery. :DI have had two instances of random reboots, both times were due to non-stable ROMs, not because of the hardware.

Ryy

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
Always fun to read these threads. ;)

I have not had any issues with my S3 at all. It has been a wonderful change, and I am very impressed with the phone/features/ui,etc. So happy I went with it!

To the OP:

I was on the fence a month ago when I was wanting to switch from iPhone to Android. I am with AT&T, and they have a 14 day return or exchange policy. I thought, if I hated it I would just go back and get the IP5. So, you can test drive either one to see what fits you and your lifestyle best.

JoeyPalmer

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
I own iphone 4S.

But this time I think I need to say goodbye to iphones for the time being, unless they come up with an excellent product.

For the time being, I'll vote for samsung galaxy SIII. It is definitely a much better phone in many respects. I was thinking to change my phone, and seriously thinking to get SGSIII :)

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Sigh

No, he's real all right. He's liviing in our spare bedroom after his ex-wife took the planet in the divorce.

Suggestions? I keep telling him to bring it to the carrier since that's what I would do but he's been awfully non confrontational since the big D.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Typical Samsung defensive statement. You brought size into the argument and that's not even what I was talking about man. Seriously. I didn't even mention it. I was talking about the build quality and feeling in your hand of the iPhone vs. Galaxy.

Not a defensive statement at all. The typical hater fixate on the size and they say their thumb can't reach the screen or they can't use it one handed. I assumed that's what you were talking about.

Personally I think the S3 feels too thin and light in my hand. I don't like the curved edges. Makes it easy for me to drop. But I have the otterbox on it so it makes it nice. I have the same issues with the iPod Touch, same shape. The iP5 is just the wrong shape for me. Tall skinny doesn't work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.