macrumors 6502

iPad 4, the screen is amazing!
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #52
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
A lot of people are saying they want a lighter ipad but what weight would you be satisfied with?
For me, it's not about the weight, it's about the size of the device. The mini fits in my jacket pocket perfectly. If it was half a pound more, I probably still wouldn't have cared.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #53
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

iPad 4. I don't mind the weight, and like the size.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:25 PM   #54
ougum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
You paid more than $500 for the 16GB Mini?
Oh! My bad. Mine is 64gb LTE.
ougum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:38 PM   #55
mac00l
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
So how light would you need it to be?
Around 400-500g.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:57 PM   #56
briand05
macrumors regular

I would get the full size ipad if they were the same price and had the specs they do now. The full size ipad has a much better screen and a more powerful processor. Now if the mini had a retina display and an a6, I would think about it more.
briand05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:06 PM   #57
ditzy
macrumors 65816

Hard question. If the mini had the same internal spec, and had a retina display, I would happily pay the same price as the normal sized iPad. I'd possibly even be prepared to pay slightly more. As I prefer the form factor. But as it is it would bother me because the internals, and the display are not the same standard.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:17 PM   #58
temna
macrumors regular

I wonder how many of the people who complain about the retina screen on the mini have actually used a mini. I think the screen is great, the only thing I don't like about the mini in the lack of a flash for the camera and the A5 processor.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #59
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
But would you pay $500 for the current Mini?
Good question - there is a limit as to how far I would go of course to pay for a mini, but for me, I would pay more for a mini than a full sized iPad, because for me, form factor reigns supreme, and retina (though highly desired in a mini form factor) isn't anything but a very, very nice to have feature in a nearly perfect device. Yes, I would pay $500.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:58 PM   #60
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Here is the reason!

Retina,Retina,Retina,Retina, Retina!
Once you go there, you can NEVER return!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:22 PM   #61
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
Retina,Retina,Retina,Retina, Retina!
Once you go there, you can NEVER return!
Sure you can. It's easy.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:06 PM   #62
RieRie
macrumors newbie

I've had both and prefer the form factor of the iPad mini since it fits in all of my handbags!
RieRie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:55 AM   #63
foiden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Sure you can. It's easy.
Agreed. If only because the smaller size of the Mini, brings the previous resolution closer to the retina you enjoyed on the bigger screen.

The main case where Retina wins convincingly is with specific uses. Music sheet reading (Since the demands to display a whole page of sheet music at once is higher than text demands) and very high resolution photography. For light gamers running iPhone apps, they may lose the ability to display Phone apps in their retina resolutions where I know the Retina iPads run the iPhone apps with Retina resolutions. Makes all the difference in visuals when blown up to 2X as they look almost iPad native then. Or at least, non-retina iPad native.

Last edited by foiden; Feb 5, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
foiden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:52 PM   #64
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiden View Post
Agreed. If only because the smaller size of the Mini, brings the previous resolution closer to the retina you enjoyed on the bigger screen.

The main case where Retina wins convincingly is with specific uses. Music sheet reading (Since the demands to display a whole page of sheet music at once is higher than text demands) and very high resolution photography. For light gamers running iPhone apps, they may lose the ability to display Phone apps in their retina resolutions where I know the Retina iPads run the iPhone apps with Retina resolutions. Makes all the difference in visuals when blown up to 2X as they look almost iPad native then. Or at least, non-retina iPad native.
Yupp, I use mine for notetaking and school related stuff. It's mainly all text but I use the text for glancing not heavy reading. That will hurt my eyes. I barely notice pixelation and that's good for me. The size is a great plus too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad