Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
So, what seems to be the consensus...a silent refresh soon or more likely an update at the end of the year?

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
a silent refresh soon with Haswell processors (same with macbook pro retina)

G-d I hope you're right! I've been specing out a 27" iMac with Fusion drive, i7 and 680MX video but was waiting till today to see what Apple announced. I was disappointed when I didn't see anything about it. How long do you think the wait will be?

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I'm not convinced it will be soon, but I suspect that at some point between July-December, there will be a refresh that includes Haswell and the new wifi card.

d3stined

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Is it worth waiting

If its just Haswell and Wifi, do you think its worth waiting for? I know Haswell has a 10% increase in performance but i don't know if thats worth waiting for (as it could be months) ugh... :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If its just Haswell and Wifi, do you think its worth waiting for? I know Haswell has a 10% increase in performance but i don't know if thats worth waiting for (as it could be months) ugh... :)
Also probably new graphics cards. Is it worth waiting? It depends on what you use your system for and if your current system will last that long.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I'm trying to decide this for myself, as we speak.

I don't think Haswell is worth the wait. I've really been looking forward to 802.11ac wifi, but still not sure it's worth waiting weeks or (likely) months for. The one thing that does keep me waiting, though, is the prospect of more SSD options and better SSD pricing. I would love to see a 1TB option.

I think if I knew for sure that there would be no other SSD changes in 2013, I would go ahead and order today.

d3stined

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Ill be using it mainly for photo editing, sometimes video editing in Premier Pro - so i know the current would be sufficient... but the refresh might be just that much better haha... i wish they just told us what would happen.

I think i will buy the current one just because i cannot wait a few months for a possible upgrade of maybe 10%...

Also i was wondering if new graphics cards would be able to use the Mercury Playback in Premier Pro - does anyone know?

Many thanks :)

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Also, there is some speculation that Mavericks will be released in October, so Apple might (likely, I think) refresh the iMac at the same time.

I don't think I will wait until October for a refresh.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Based on todays conference the new iMacs as i thought will have Intel's latest Haswell processors, and the new ac wifi standard, but do you think that the new iMacs will get thunderbolt 2.0 and graphics cards capable of 4k resolution like the Mac Pro later this year.

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Based on todays conference the new iMacs as i thought will have Intel's latest Haswell processors, and the new ac wifi standard, but do you think that the new iMacs will get thunderbolt 2.0 and graphics cards capable of 4k resolution like the Mac Pro later this year.
I'm not sure that the upcoming iMacs will get Thunderbolt 2.0 just yet. And as for 4K support? I guess it depends on the graphics option. And also, there is always the lingering question of will the new iMac have a retina display.

Oh my god it's so hard to decide, cancel my order or just press ahead
Filp a coin? I guess the question boils down do you just want a new iMac or do you need one for your usage?

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
I think it's highly unlikely that any potential upcoming "refresh" would be more than Haswell, wifi, and SSD (long shot).

IMO, anything beyond that would come in 2014. Or possibly end of 2013, if there's no refresh before that.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
So, what seems to be the consensus...a silent refresh soon or more likely an update at the end of the year?

Surely you've been on this site long enough to know there's no such thing as a consensus! :D

My money is on September, with 5% CPU bump, 10% GPU bump, 802.11ac, and .. that's it. Retina as separate models at WWDC 2014, becoming the standard in 2015.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I'm in the same boat, except my current mac is dead. Need one soon.

iMac is my cheapest option regarding power.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just seems to me it would be a substantial investment to make in the chipset for something that would be optional equipment.
Ahh, makes sense from that point of view. I expect SSD only options and Fusion options. And I think that would be enough to trigger the redesign even if they still have HD only as an option.

It would allow them to use the same SSDs across all products except maybe the new Mac Pro. This would be an inventory management cost savings.

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Any time you get a new machine, a new one will be announced months later. If you want one now, go ahead and get it. I'm on my 2010 iMac and everything still runs beautifully. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.