Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:55 AM   #26
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a
 
northernmunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Taipei
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Preparing..you're always preparing! Just go!!
Lord Tim, use the Schwartz!!
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:02 AM   #27
Chazz08
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
You won't like Mail in 10.9 then. The bug is still there.
I didn't have the bug in 10.8 and I don't have it now in 10.9.
Chazz08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:03 AM   #28
northernmunky
macrumors 6502a
 
northernmunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Taipei
What is so radically different about this point update that necessitates Apple store employees to be familiar with it before release?
northernmunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:05 AM   #29
RedGeminiPA
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Send a message via AIM to RedGeminiPA Send a message via Yahoo to RedGeminiPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasNotMe View Post
Might be an old fashioned concept, but some people (like me) believe that what you pay for should actually work. 10.8.x far from that...
I don't know... 10.8.4 seems to be pretty solid for me. My biggest issue was (mostly) fixed in the last update (2012 Mac mini HDMI issue). I think I've encountered the magenta screen hue two times since then when awaking from sleep.
RedGeminiPA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz08 View Post
I didn't have the bug in 10.8 and I don't have it now in 10.9.
I believe it is intermittent and GPU dependent, specifically HD3000, HD4000.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
iThink™ this
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1674

means, OS X 10.8.5 next week.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:25 AM   #32
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
? No such issue here. Neither 10.8.4 or 10.9
Or, am I misunderstanding something?
It's intermittent and happens when you choose "reply". Have to redo a few times.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:27 AM   #33
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
iThink™ this
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1674

means, OS X 10.8.5 next week.
No relationship. Why would you think there is?
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:18 AM   #34
ItWasNotMe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
I don't know... 10.8.4 seems to be pretty solid for me. My biggest issue was (mostly) fixed in the last update (2012 Mac mini HDMI issue). I think I've encountered the magenta screen hue two times since then when awaking from sleep.
Not at all solid for me compared to SL and earlier (skipped Lion),

Some examples:

If in energy saving you allow it to put disks to sleep:
- Sleeps the disk while apps are writing to it, and app can't then restart the disk (had this happen with three different paid for apps so its not the app)
- Time Machine can't recover if there are two externals and while its backing up one the other goes to sleep - only way out of this is hold the power switch down and pray everything is ok

Time Machine itself very flaky
- Whilst the set-up I have is complex, the changes to this were the prime reason to move to ML - huge disappointment...
- On next backup, doesn't always back up file that I know I have changed - catches up at random time later
- Doesn't like other apps being started in quick succession while its looking for backup disk or cleaning up
- Doesn't like being manually stopped
- Occasionally leaves on some form of lock that causes deadly embrace with other apps/utilities

Safari (in my view not part of OS but as its bundled with it...)
- I can scroll faster than it can render many sites, e.g. this one
- Degrades performance of machine over time if page is one that is auto refreshed

Often won't shut down at all - period (cue lots of rubbish about why do you bother doing this)
__________________
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
Richard P. Feynman
ItWasNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:59 AM   #35
Marx55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmunky View Post
What is so radically different about this point update that necessitates Apple store employees to be familiar with it before release?
Nothing. It is just a kind of extended-beta testing or pre-release testing. Why? Nothing in particular; just in case.
Marx55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:36 PM   #36
Chazz08
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
I believe it is intermittent and GPU dependent, specifically HD3000, HD4000.
Ahh. that would make sense. Glad I don't have those....haha.
Chazz08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:54 PM   #37
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
No relationship. Why would you think there is?
Apple tests such updates with the newest OS X version. Then they release such small updates like the “Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.08”. That's the case since 10.5.x. Another sign are the printer driver updates, which appear usually 2-4 weeks before Apple releases a new OS X update, like 10.8.5.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:07 PM   #38
mreed911
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmunky View Post
What is so radically different about this point update that necessitates Apple store employees to be familiar with it before release?
Because they can get a wealth of bug reports/crash reports internally, reaching a wider audience, before releasing it to the public. Note it didn't say Apple Store employees, it said Apple employees.
mreed911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:59 AM   #39
mishendr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Haswell support...?
mishendr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:18 AM   #40
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
This isn't really a big deal, especially since 10.9 is coming.
Really. You'd think that this is some kind of big product announcement like the Apple iCar where all Apple Employees have to be mentally prepared or conditioned for something spectacular and breathtaking. But it's really just another minor point-update with a few bug fixes.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:02 PM   #41
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Apple tests such updates with the newest OS X version. Then they release such small updates like the “Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.08”.
Raw update 4.07 was released June 27, 2013. 10.8.4 was released June 4, 2013. There's no relationship to the 10.8.5 release date and 4.08.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:06 AM   #42
RedGeminiPA
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Altoona, PA
Send a message via AIM to RedGeminiPA Send a message via Yahoo to RedGeminiPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasNotMe View Post
Not at all solid for me compared to SL and earlier (skipped Lion),

Some examples:

If in energy saving you allow it to put disks to sleep:
- Sleeps the disk while apps are writing to it, and app can't then restart the disk (had this happen with three different paid for apps so its not the app)
- Time Machine can't recover if there are two externals and while its backing up one the other goes to sleep - only way out of this is hold the power switch down and pray everything is ok

Time Machine itself very flaky
- Whilst the set-up I have is complex, the changes to this were the prime reason to move to ML - huge disappointment...
- On next backup, doesn't always back up file that I know I have changed - catches up at random time later
- Doesn't like other apps being started in quick succession while its looking for backup disk or cleaning up
- Doesn't like being manually stopped
- Occasionally leaves on some form of lock that causes deadly embrace with other apps/utilities

Safari (in my view not part of OS but as its bundled with it...)
- I can scroll faster than it can render many sites, e.g. this one
- Degrades performance of machine over time if page is one that is auto refreshed

Often won't shut down at all - period (cue lots of rubbish about why do you bother doing this)
Try Time Machine Editor to see if one backup per day (scheduled) helps. I always put my mini to sleep by using a hot corner, and the backups work as planned at 3:00AM to my Time Capsule over WiFi.

Safari: install AdBlock extension. Also, get a RAM monitoring utility, like iCleanMemory to monitor usage. Restart Safari when needed.

I'm not saying these will be a cure all, but these are the utilities/extensions I use and it could be part of why I don't see those issues.
RedGeminiPA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:07 PM   #43
Marx55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Apple to deliver OS X 10.8.5 with Mail, screen saver fixes as soon as today
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-soon-as-today
Marx55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #44
ItWasNotMe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Try Time Machine Editor to see if one backup per day (scheduled) helps. I always put my mini to sleep by using a hot corner, and the backups work as planned at 3:00AM to my Time Capsule over WiFi.

Safari: install AdBlock extension. Also, get a RAM monitoring utility, like iCleanMemory to monitor usage. Restart Safari when needed.

I'm not saying these will be a cure all, but these are the utilities/extensions I use and it could be part of why I don't see those issues.
Thanks anyway, but

I don't want one TM backup a day - I have Retrospect for that - I want it to work as advertised to do the intra-day.

None of the sites I regularly visit for streaming updates feature ads.
__________________
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."
Richard P. Feynman
ItWasNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #45
mattburley7
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx55 View Post
Apple to deliver OS X 10.8.5 with Mail, screen saver fixes as soon as today
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...-soon-as-today
point updates have not been released before on mondays.. previous 10.8.x updates have been on tuesdays and thursday so today seems more likely maybe?
mattburley7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 03:14 PM   #46
Sky Blue
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
12F36 is out:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/04/apple-...-to-developers
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Employees Testing Prerelease iTunes 11.1.1 and OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 51 Oct 5, 2013 03:02 PM
Apple Distributing Free iBooks to Employees Ahead of Mavericks and iOS 7 Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 45 Jul 29, 2013 07:45 PM
Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 235 Feb 22, 2013 02:28 AM
AppleCare Representatives Receiving Prerelease Builds of iTunes 11 Ahead of Public Launch MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Nov 29, 2012 07:01 PM
Apple Preparing to Seed Developers with First Build of OS X 10.8.1 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 164 Aug 12, 2012 07:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC