Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Jasper84
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Straight talk/Simple Mobile users iPhone 5

Any one upgrading to iPhone 5 ? I sold my 4s and I've been using a unlocked 3GS, popped the straight talk micro sim in a sim adapter works great, I just wanted see what other straight talk or simple mobile users are going to do will you buy factory unlocked ? If iPhone 5 has 4G LTE will you switch to t mobile, hurd they're starting to offer compatible iPhone 4g service in some markets or will you use a other wireless provider that offers 4G LTE? My upgrade depends on what features are revealed tomorrow I might even consider just buying with a contract from AT&T so really would like to hear from you guys
Jasper84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2
articulatefool
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper84 View Post
Any one upgrading to iPhone 5 ? I sold my 4s and I've been using a unlocked 3GS, popped the straight talk micro sim in a sim adapter works great, I just wanted see what other straight talk or simple mobile users are going to do will you buy factory unlocked ? If iPhone 5 has 4G LTE will you switch to t mobile, hurd they're starting to offer compatible iPhone 4g service in some markets or will you use a other wireless provider that offers 4G LTE? My upgrade depends on what features are revealed tomorrow I might even consider just buying with a contract from AT&T so really would like to hear from you guys
If I decide to stick with apple this time around, I will be either:
--- Staying on straight talk and getting a used ATT iPhone 5. Or,
--- I will go with t-mobile and get a factory unlocked iPhone 5. (if tmobile 1900mhz gets enabled in my area)
articulatefool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Jasper84
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatefool View Post
If I decide to stick with apple this time around, I will be either:
--- Staying on straight talk and getting a used ATT iPhone 5. Or,
--- I will go with t-mobile and get a factory unlocked iPhone 5. (if tmobile 1900mhz gets enabled in my area)
Thanks for the feedback how's the straight talk service in your area call clarity signal strength data speed etc? I'm in the Florida fort lauderdale area the service is mostly good here but data speeds tend to fluctuate.
Jasper84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
articulatefool
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper84 View Post
Thanks for the feedback how's the straight talk service in your area call clarity signal strength data speed etc? I'm in the Florida fort lauderdale area the service is mostly good here but data speeds tend to fluctuate.
7Mb/s down 1.5Mb/s up.
Signal strength is exactly that of AT&T since Straight Talk is an AT&T MVNO (use the exact same towers and network) Speeds fluctuate because AT&T's network is overly saturated in large metropolitan areas.

I got faster speeds with T-Mobile (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) so I am hoping that the 1900mhz refarm will be completed in my area quickly.
articulatefool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
MaxPower49
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I have ST and haven't decided what I'm doing yet. I'm wondering if we will be able to modify our mico sim cards to fit in the new nano sim tray. If so, I will probably buy and iPhone 5 unlocked from Apple and use it on ST (even without the 4G). Might consider also when their network upgrade gets a little father along also.
MaxPower49 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
OneMike
macrumors 68040
 
OneMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
didn't think about nano sim.

i use straight talk for the last month though with Galaxy S3. Am thinking iPhone again. If so will stick with ST.

It's ATT MVNO so service is just the same. excellent for me.
__________________
To much stuff to list
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:11 AM   #7
jottomadai
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I've cut down two SIMs with a Swiss and Thai carrier for my iPhone 5 and they both worked fine for the last three months. There's a simple template available if you do a search for it. I presume it will work the same for US carriers.

All you need to do is match it up with the template, and cut off the excess areas with a scissor.
jottomadai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:14 PM   #8
woc2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
how to enable 4g on simple mobile?

I have an at&t factory unlocked iphone5 on cut to fit nano card simple mobile sim. I have paid for the 40 dollar plan unlimited with 4g lte, but I don't see the icon on the screen, it says 3g, how can I enable the iphone to recognize 4g? anyone? thanks.
woc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC