Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Any one upgrading to iPhone 5 ? I sold my 4s and I've been using a unlocked 3GS, popped the straight talk micro sim in a sim adapter works great, I just wanted see what other straight talk or simple mobile users are going to do will you buy factory unlocked ? If iPhone 5 has 4G LTE will you switch to t mobile, hurd they're starting to offer compatible iPhone 4g service in some markets or will you use a other wireless provider that offers 4G LTE? My upgrade depends on what features are revealed tomorrow I might even consider just buying with a contract from AT&T so really would like to hear from you guys

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Any one upgrading to iPhone 5 ? I sold my 4s and I've been using a unlocked 3GS, popped the straight talk micro sim in a sim adapter works great, I just wanted see what other straight talk or simple mobile users are going to do will you buy factory unlocked ? If iPhone 5 has 4G LTE will you switch to t mobile, hurd they're starting to offer compatible iPhone 4g service in some markets or will you use a other wireless provider that offers 4G LTE? My upgrade depends on what features are revealed tomorrow I might even consider just buying with a contract from AT&T so really would like to hear from you guys

If I decide to stick with apple this time around, I will be either:
--- Staying on straight talk and getting a used ATT iPhone 5. Or,
--- I will go with t-mobile and get a factory unlocked iPhone 5. (if tmobile 1900mhz gets enabled in my area)

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
If I decide to stick with apple this time around, I will be either:
--- Staying on straight talk and getting a used ATT iPhone 5. Or,
--- I will go with t-mobile and get a factory unlocked iPhone 5. (if tmobile 1900mhz gets enabled in my area)

Thanks for the feedback how's the straight talk service in your area call clarity signal strength data speed etc? I'm in the Florida fort lauderdale area the service is mostly good here but data speeds tend to fluctuate.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback how's the straight talk service in your area call clarity signal strength data speed etc? I'm in the Florida fort lauderdale area the service is mostly good here but data speeds tend to fluctuate.

7Mb/s down 1.5Mb/s up.
Signal strength is exactly that of AT&T since Straight Talk is an AT&T MVNO (use the exact same towers and network) Speeds fluctuate because AT&T's network is overly saturated in large metropolitan areas.

I got faster speeds with T-Mobile (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) so I am hoping that the 1900mhz refarm will be completed in my area quickly.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I have ST and haven't decided what I'm doing yet. I'm wondering if we will be able to modify our mico sim cards to fit in the new nano sim tray. If so, I will probably buy and iPhone 5 unlocked from Apple and use it on ST (even without the 4G). Might consider also when their network upgrade gets a little father along also.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
didn't think about nano sim.

i use straight talk for the last month though with Galaxy S3. Am thinking iPhone again. If so will stick with ST.

It's ATT MVNO so service is just the same. excellent for me.

jottomadai

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I've cut down two SIMs with a Swiss and Thai carrier for my iPhone 5 and they both worked fine for the last three months. There's a simple template available if you do a search for it. I presume it will work the same for US carriers.

All you need to do is match it up with the template, and cut off the excess areas with a scissor.

woc2

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
how to enable 4g on simple mobile?

I have an at&t factory unlocked iphone5 on cut to fit nano card simple mobile sim. I have paid for the 40 dollar plan unlimited with 4g lte, but I don't see the icon on the screen, it says 3g, how can I enable the iphone to recognize 4g? anyone? thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.