Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clangec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!

clangec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.

Get the free replacement and pay another $7 for a keyboard protector. I have them on all three of my Macs.

Also consider a personal articles policy from your homeowner's/renter's insurer. I have one and it covers accidental damage, theft, loss, and mechanical failure. Mine is $60/year but that's high because it's New York. It is lower in other states.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!

Why is it in the fridge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.