Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Hi guys,

I want to pick up a Mac Mini for the folks to watch movies in the comfort of their home. However they are not computer literate so I plan to remote access the machine for any technical issues when its connected to their TV.

What I would like to do is create a folder, load it with a season of tv shows and have it scheduled. Just like how normal TV is where a clip would automatically play at a certain time each day. Is there any application out there that would allow this?

thanks

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
I did something similar with my parents, except I am lazy and so got them an apple TV and a mac mini. The Mini run's iTunes and I put all the files in there and they can watch at their leisure.

If you want to go down the scheduled route I should think you will need way of opening a file at a given time (iCal event - alert = open file) and automatically playing it full screen (not sure how to do this at the moment) and you have the admin overhead of maintaining the schedule (iCal server)

Or for really nerdy a cron job that calls an apple script that contains something like

tell application "QuickTime Player" to play <filename.mov> movie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.