Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You do realize that iPhone 4 has 2 speakers. Don't you? This is a perfectly legitimate question. I find it rather amusing than you are all so quick to jump and prove your superiority in terms of technology, but don't even understand the basics kind, human interaction. Yup, it's a speaker and a mic now, but it hasn't always been like that. Get over yourselves.

I'm not going to rehash what the other just responded to you with so I'll just say......

Pwned.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You do realize that iPhone 4 has 2 speakers. Don't you? This is a perfectly legitimate question. I find it rather amusing than you are all so quick to jump and prove your superiority in terms of technology, but don't even understand the basics kind, human interaction. Yup, it's a speaker and a mic now, but it hasn't always been like that. Get over yourselves.

Har. :D I LOLd at the membername of the turkey who resurrected this thread today. (Not a racial comment; a behavioral one.)

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm posting this mainly to ensure that I'm not either missing a setting or somehow testing using the wrong material before I take my phone back, but here goes:

I got my iPhone 4S about a week and a half ago. When I got it I noticed that alert sounds, etc. were only coming through one speaker. At the time I just figured that alert sounds must only use one speaker and I didn't really think much more about it.

I don't play a lot of music through my phone's speakers, but yesterday I was streaming a radio show through the phone. As I was listening I unhooked it from the headphones and picked the phone up. As I picked it up my finger covered one of the speakers and it was like hitting a mute button. So, obviously the other speaker wasn't working. I was hoping maybe it was just the source material somehow, but I tried it with several songs stored on the phone (both purchased from iTunes and ripped to iTunes), and still nothing from that speaker.

So, is there something else I can try? Am I missing something? If not, this guy is heading back to the store. What can i do ??

Did you not read this thread at all? The second post answers your question. There is only one speaker, the other is a microphone..

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
For the last time, I hope:

THERE IS ONLY ONE SPEAKER. THE OTHER OPENING IS A MICROPHONE.

This has been a Public Service Announcement. We now return you to your regular programming. :rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
What is wrong with people today ? Don't they every review the iphone specs at all ? iPhone 4 4S and iphone 5 below.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.png
    2.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.png
    3.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 123

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
This is the iPhone (er...um HTC One) with stereo speakers.

Well, that looks like it makes sense because the speakers are separated by the span of the device. It would make no sense at all for iPhones to have two speakers located next to each other in such a small space.

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
People on this site are rarely kind. Most act like spoiled children and like to roll their eyes at everyone just cause they believe they are smarter than anyone here who has a question or wants a discussion.

I agree I just usually watch cuz ill get myself in trouble lol

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, that looks like it makes sense because the speakers are separated by the span of the device. It would make no sense at all for iPhones to have two speakers located next to each other in such a small space.

I never understood why Apple doesn't just use the earpiece speaker as well as the bottom speaker. Boom! Instant stereo. Granted, the earpiece speaker would likely have to be of slightly higher quality than it is now, and some software tweaks be done so that it doesn't blow your ear out when talking (this would be exceedingly easy).

Dontbeadick

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
I can't believe people actually answer it. Boggles the mind. I mean come on, it doesn't take much common sense to figure it out.

Yes, support laziness and stupidity.

Seriously!? Why do people have to be soo rude! Come on! How did it hurt you when they asked this question? It didn't! So don't try to act all high and mighty! Not everyone is tech savvy..

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Oct 31, 2011 the OP asked the question. Can't believe someone is still replying to the original thread almost 20 months old. OP has left the building in 2012. No further posting from him.

PS: Read the manual, and it clearly shows that the iphone only has one speaker...Simple ;)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Seriously!? Why do people have to be soo rude! Come on! How did it hurt you when they asked this question? It didn't! So don't try to act all high and mighty! Not everyone is tech savvy..

Can people also not read? Also if knowing your phone has one speaker is considered tech savvy these days, I weep for the future.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2013
Tbh I always thought my other speaker was broken because sound only came out from the right speaker# I bought it used so that's why I thought it was broken but thanks to this thread I know the sound should come from one speaker only lol not everyone reads those apple websites and browses through those pictures or reads manuals...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.