Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #451
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
Show me your 3G speeds.
This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go. If you're still stuck on 3G, then...sucks for you I guess. T-Mobile users are stuck on super fast EDGE in my area.

There is no reason to be boasting about HSPA speeds any longer. It's hilarious how Sprint and TMo users are constantly banging on about their great HSPA/EVDO speeds and are in complete denial that LTE exists these days.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:13 PM   #452
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go. If you're still stuck on 3G, then...sucks for you I guess. T-Mobile users are stuck on super fast EDGE in my area.

There is no reason to be boasting about HSPA speeds any longer. It's hilarious how Sprint and TMo users are constantly banging on about their great HSPA/EVDO speeds and are in complete denial that LTE exists these days.
Sounds like someone not in the industry.

Actually, there is still a lot of GSM/2G out there. Plusm the 3GPP working group has half a portfolio of WCDMA/3G currently not even made its way to hardware (carrier and handset). BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.

And I can tell you '3g' will be around for at least another five or six years. Take that from someone in the industry.
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #453
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

That awesome AT&T LTE that throttles their so-called "unlimited" users at a measly 5GB of data. Or wait, $15 per GB for going over the caps on their share plans. Be sure to keep your data monitoring app handy. Be careful with those speed tests, I'm sure they consume plenty of your monthly data allowance.

No thanks. If I'm paying $650 for a phone then I want to actually be able to use it. I'll stick with Tmobile.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:27 PM   #454
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Really! Is that the best u can come up with? What are u doing on your phone that requires those speeds? We continue this convo after April 12😄
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:07 PM   #455
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkingGhost View Post
Sounds like someone not in the industry.

Actually, there is still a lot of GSM/2G out there. Plusm the 3GPP working group has half a portfolio of WCDMA/3G currently not even made its way to hardware (carrier and handset). BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.

And I can tell you '3g' will be around for at least another five or six years. Take that from someone in the industry.
What does "in the industry" mean? Working at a TMo store or Best Buy Mobile doesn't count.

Yes, I'm actually in this industry.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
That awesome AT&T LTE that throttles their so-called "unlimited" users at a measly 5GB of data. Or wait, $15 per GB for going over the caps on their share plans. Be sure to keep your data monitoring app handy. Be careful with those speed tests, I'm sure they consume plenty of your monthly data allowance.

No thanks. If I'm paying $650 for a phone then I want to actually be able to use it. I'll stick with Tmobile.
Yes, having unlimited, not throttled data on a predominately EDGE is spectacular, right?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:02 AM   #456
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This isn't 2008 anymore. 3G is old news. I have LTE everywhere I go.
First of all, 3G will definitely be around for a while. First everyone has to be moved off of edge. Then that will he shut down. At that point, 3G will be lowest and LTE will be the next step up. Anything faster than LTE will probably have surfaced at that time.

And for the second point, you must not go very far if you get AT&T LTE "everywhere you go". I can personally attest (as can a few friends of mine) that AT&T LTE is not nearly as widespread as it's made out to be by AT&T or by you.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:15 AM   #457
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

Quote:
What does "in the industry" mean? Working at a TMo store or Best Buy Mobile doesn't count.
Yes, I'm actually in this industry.
I guess you run into a lot of those types of people on here, but I work on both the RAN, core, and RF. Mostly Ericsson, Nortel, Alcatel and Cisco gear.

Had to fix the truncated HTML.
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:03 PM   #458
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

where the speed boost comes from?

Sorry, I did not get it, is it from refarming of the spectrum

or

iPhone 5 has additional frequency to add t-mobile's AWS?

i have iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 both locked at ATT and thinking of moving to t-mobile, do not use more than 1GB per line on the average.

Will I get the good 3G speed with unlocked iPhone 4S?
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:21 PM   #459
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
Sorry, I did not get it, is it from refarming of the spectrum

or

iPhone 5 has additional frequency to add t-mobile's AWS?

i have iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 both locked at ATT and thinking of moving to t-mobile, do not use more than 1GB per line on the average.

Will I get the good 3G speed with unlocked iPhone 4S?

Yes they are adding the 1700MHz band to the "tweaked" iPhone 5, you will get 3G if your area is reframed to 1900MHz, also do note 1900MHz has poor indoor coverage.

You can check my other thread "All you need to know about iPhone.....+ T-mobile HSPA+/LTE" for more information.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:39 PM   #460
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I guess you run into a lot of those types of people on here, but I work on both the RAN, core, and RF. Mostly Ericsson, Nortel, Alcatel and Cisco gear.

Had to fix the truncated HTML.
Haha alright, fair enough. Glad to see there is someone else around here who knows what they're talking about. Yup, tons of posers from BBM here

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
First of all, 3G will definitely be around for a while. First everyone has to be moved off of edge. Then that will he shut down. At that point, 3G will be lowest and LTE will be the next step up. Anything faster than LTE will probably have surfaced at that time.
3G will be around for a long time, primarily for voice (on AT&T) and backup data. T-Mobile still prominently relies on EDGE as their major data service across their network. There are still huge portions of the US where they don't have 3G, whereas VZW/AT&T have LTE deployed (and have had 3G for a long long time)

Quote:
And for the second point, you must not go very far if you get AT&T LTE "everywhere you go". I can personally attest (as can a few friends of mine) that AT&T LTE is not nearly as widespread as it's made out to be by AT&T or by you.
Come check out the Northeast. I can go from Boston to Washington DC and never loose LTE on AT&T (or VZW). T-Mobile covers almost all major highways around here with EDGE. Pretty pathetic.

----------

Quote:
. BTW, 3G is currently specified out to 160 Mbps. Not bad for a 2008 technology.
Even if it specced up to that 160 mbps, it looks like no US carrier will be taking advantage of the higher spec anymore, especially LTE is going to be used as their primary technology for the next decade or so. AT&T stopped upgrading HSPA+ at 21mbps, whereas T-Mobile deployed DC-HSPA+ in some areas (42 mbps), now they're basically ignoring both to go onto LTE -> LTE-A.

Let's also not forget that LTE is much more efficient with managing high traffic situations due to optimizations, whereas HSPA/EDGE/EVDO are completely dead. Probably one of the major reasons why carriers have moved onto LTE.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:58 AM   #461
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

T-Mobile has been slowly ramping up iPhone-compatible 3G in Portland (OR,) and the tower closest to my house finally got upgraded (as soon as I wandered to the next tower over, I would get it previously.)

Pretty crappy service at my house as it is - every carrier has 2-3 bars MAX in the best-signal location in the house, usually I'm at only 1-2 bars, and quite a few placed in the house get no signal at all - on any carrier. (Hilly part of town.)

My phone (4S) is on AT&T "4G" (HSPA+,) my wife's 4 is on T-Mobile (AT&T phone factory unlocked by AT&T upon contract completion.)

Yup, T-Mobile 3G is often faster downloading than AT&T "4G" at the same location (although AT&T usually has better upload speeds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speeds.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	406158  

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:57 AM   #462
XskylineX
macrumors newbie

Finally starting to see some 3G in Nashville!
XskylineX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #463
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Freak View Post
T-Mobile has been slowly ramping up iPhone-compatible 3G in Portland (OR,) and the tower closest to my house finally got upgraded (as soon as I wandered to the next tower over, I would get it previously.)
I live in downtown Portland, OR thinking of switching from ATT. good to know. I have unlocked iPhone 4S also.
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #464
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
I live in downtown Portland, OR thinking of switching from ATT. good to know. I have unlocked iPhone 4S also.
I'm in outer SW Portland - Garden Home/Multnomah Village area. Very hilly. So pretty crappy connections all around. (When I got the original iPhone, AT&T was the only provider that consistently got *ANY* signal at any place in my house.)

Downtown I get better AT&T speeds, 2-3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up at "full five bars 4G." The T-Mobile phone is my wife's, and she doesn't come downtown often, so I don't know what the T-Mobile speeds are.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:08 PM   #465
Satnam1989
Banned

anyone using GoSmart Mobile? If so can you please share screen shots of speeds tests, Thanks. I want to compare GoSmart with T-Mobile Prepaid...since its directly owned by T-Mobile, I want to know if I can live with the $45 plan....much better than the $30 plan...as it gives Unlimited Talk along with Unlimited Text and 5GB Data....

Anyone in NY get LTE on GoSmart?
Edit:
what about trying one of T-Mobile's Prepaid APN on GoSmart? does that work by any chance?

----------

I dont know if title change is going to take affect on the forum thread but I updated the title to 1900MHz and LTE (Since iPhone is now officially available its best to concentrate this thread on 1900MHz PCS directly).

Last edited by Satnam1989; Apr 22, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:02 PM   #466
Pinkstiletto66
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
anyone using GoSmart Mobile? If so can you please share screen shots of speeds tests, Thanks. I want to compare GoSmart with T-Mobile Prepaid...since its directly owned by T-Mobile, I want to know if I can live with the $45 plan....much better than the $30 plan...as it gives Unlimited Talk along with Unlimited Text and 5GB Data....

Anyone in NY get LTE on GoSmart?
Edit:
what about trying one of T-Mobile's Prepaid APN on GoSmart? does that work by any chance?

----------

I dont know if title change is going to take affect on the forum thread but I updated the title to 1900MHz and LTE (Since iPhone is now officially available its best to concentrate this thread on 1900MHz PCS directly).
I to would like to know this. Im in NYC and cant check for coverage using my androids wrb browser. Dunno why...
Pinkstiletto66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:22 PM   #467
Satnam1989
Banned

Can anyone Verifiy that the GoSmart Mobile works on 1700/2100 iPhone 5? (Yes it will work but my deep question is Can GoSmart SIM access 1700/2100 frequency towers)

I want to know if its limited to the 1900MHz....because I notice on the website it only mentions "3G" and nothing about 4G....wondering if T-Mobile started that carrier up just for Smartphone owners like iPhone 3G-4S who cannot access 1700/2100.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 01:31 AM   #468
instasllim
macrumors newbie

I have been on prepaid Verizon for couple years with my Verizon iPhone 4S, I am fixing a busted at&t 4S, which I am going to have unlocked. Can anyone confirm the speeds in the Indianapolis area? I would like to know if its worth the switch.

Thanks
instasllim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone