Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Hi there. Recently I have started getting the following popup whenever I plug in my external HD:

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

I have always clicked 'Initialise' afterwards to get into the Disk Utility, however in the First Aid tab I have no option to click Repair, Verify or anything for that matter. I can erase, but I am terrified to do that unless it's absolutely necessary (and even then I don't even know if it will cause the HD to start working again). What's more; the HD itself is either 250GB or 320GB (I can't remember which right now), but it says that there is 2.2TB worth of space? Wut? This is all rather confusing, so any light that can be shed on this situation would be hugely appreciated.

Here is a screenshot of the First Aid page in the Disk Utility for further reference.

Screen%20Shot%202012-11-21%20at%2023.00.56.png

Thank you in advance.
Ben

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

From the image it looks like it doesn't have a readable partition. Could be a bad drive and/or enclosure.

You can try troubleshooting further if you really need to get the data. Like open the case and connect the bare drive it using a different interface device (USB, FW, SATA, etc.). Otherwise, re-initialize (erase or re-partition) the drive to see if you can restore a usable partition.

Don't know how old yours is but the latest HD-PCU2 come in 500GB or 1TB. Either way yours is really showing some flaky status.

steedy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Thank you, marzer. I will see what I can do. Also I realised I took a screenshot of the wrong tab, my bad.

I'm a little intimidated by opening up the thing myself, but thankfully I know a few professional technicians who will hopefully be able to help me out.

Thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.