Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I got an apple certification in 2009.
At this time, I could see my name listed in Apple Certified Professionals Registry.
https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/pr/prSearch?ownername=apple&channel=apple
Now, I cannot.
I am telling myself 'it's ok, no public listing, but you should see yourself somewhere else in apple's site, even privately'. No luck.

This is not the only problem.
I cannot even properly login and see my certification, even me!
I put my credentials here
https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...5cbfb8ca8a464c1e12f3176a3b7bb9b691dbd46cd0cb4
and I can login, but I cannot see anything else, my certification etc.
Here is what I see
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/904/appleha.jpg
In the blank-white space above the message, it is displayed my name.
So, it seems that I can get in, but that's all.
After all, I cannot understand what this message means.
What am I supposed to do?
Create a new account? From scratch? And what about the old one?
And after all, at last will I see my certification online? I guess not!!!
New account, everything gone!

I just want to have online access to my certification again.
Is this the way apple treat its own certified users?

I tried to contact them but seems impossible and I have no hope.
Their automated system for contact support, just let me write a 160 character message, like sending an sms to friend! Hey apple guys, I want to tell you my problem, what can I say it in 160 characters space?
And this was only an open case. As I can see, they will not respond me by mail. I have to call them, just a 'ticket' for my problem is given to me by their system.
I live outside US, so it would be nice to have my problem solved by email or other electronic way, as it is impossible to call them.

I really don't know what is happening.
No access to my certification. No listing with my name anywhere.
No access to my account settings.
Once, I could do anything of these things. Now, it is like I am non-existent for apple.

How can I prove to a potential employer that I was eligible to obtain this certification? Nothing can prove it.

As I am not hoping to any response or solution from apple, I hope somebody here could help me somehow, to regain access to my certification or a better support from apple.

Otherwise, shame on Apple.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I don't know about expiration. If I know something, why this should expire? It is not food!

In fact, there seems to be no verification process for me, as my pdf certification says on it
"View all of my credentials at www.apple.com/certification/verify"

this is not the valid address now, it redirects to the url I posted above, but even there I am not listed.
And I cannot properly login and see my credentials even me, anywhere.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
If you didn't re-test and maintain your certification, it has expired.

"Your initial service certification is good for one year. To stay certified, you must take the required recertification exam(s) before the certification expiration date. To track your certifications and expiration dates, you will use the Apple Certification website."

There are only a few certifications that are available that are lifetime certifications.

I don't know about expiration. If I know something, why this should expire? It is not food!
Considering how rapidly technology changes, requiring recertification is necessary. The last thing an employer wants to do is hire someone who got certified on 10.1 but hasn't learned the technologies of anything since.

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I keep myself occupied obtaining new certifications in several fields.
I dont wanna tell somebody that I am an expert in mountain lion, even if I use it everyday.
But I should be able to saw somebody, that I was certified in leopard.
I gained this, so it is a logical step for somebody to be able to check it.
I did not re-certified. Does this matter, abstract my right to be able to check my old certification?

I was once gained a language certification for french. Even though today I almost forgot the french language, a potential employer could reach the educational institution and verify my certification.

Owing a certification, and having the knowledge, are district things.

It is a necessity to be able to check the validity of a certification, even if it is old or expired.
Only this way I could not be blamed by somebody that I am showing a false certification. Expired yes, but not false.

Do you understand it?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
So does this pose some practical problem for you right now, or are you simply annoyed by Apple not keeping you in their database 2-3 years after your certification expired? Didn't they provide you with a certificate or something you can maintain yourself? The fact is: your expired certification from 2009 is of very little value these days. I appreciate your desire to be able to query Apple to prove you held the certification at some point, but what practical use is that?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
So does this pose some practical problem for you right now, or are you simply annoyed by Apple not keeping you in their database 2-3 years after your certification expired? Didn't they provide you with a certificate or something you can maintain yourself? The fact is: your expired certification from 2009 is of very little value these days. I appreciate your desire to be able to query Apple to prove you held the certification at some point, but what practical use is that?

To be fair though, what practical point does Apple have for wiping his certification from their database? The few kilobytes that are required for storing the data is negligible to a company like Apple, and the only reason I can think of for refusing to show previous certifications would be to.... pay Apple more money to get a current one.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I received a pdf when I succeed to pass the apple exams.
Here it is, without my name (deleted by me)
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/739/pdfb.jpg

As you can see, apple, has included the phrase for verification. And maybe it is a good practice.

It is just a three years old certificate and I want to show it to a potential employer.
What if he just wants to make a check about this certificate, as apple mentions on it?
What will he see? Absolutely nothing!
I don't exist!
How can I convince him that this was an original certification, even though it passed the expiration date?

Maybe some people will say not to show it at all, to anybody.
I think this is an awful and bad idea.
Why is it all or nothing?
Maybe I was taking other courses in this period of my life and I just didn't manage to re-certify. Maybe it happened anything else.
Does this mean that I was never a certified apple 'support professional'?

As I said above, 'expired yes, but not false'.
But without any presence in apple's database, even in an archived-old one, I cannot prove anything. Anybody can accuse me for false statement, even if I show my original apple certification, which I obtain with a lot of efforts, time and money.

Is it right? Is it fair?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
For the record, it seems to me that it would be trivial for Apple to retain the information indefinitely, and that they should do it. And I definitely appreciate being annoyed that they apparently haven't. I'd probably be annoyed too. The thing is, it isn't clear to me that an old, expired, certification is something that most employers will be concerned with verifying. A current certification? Absolutely.

As you mention, you were certified in French but can no longer speak it. What good does your certification do you now if you can't function in the French language? At best it implies you might be able to pick it up faster than a novice, but it still seems of marginal utility as compared to a current certification. The analogous argument holds for your Apple certification, except the French language doesn't change nearly as fast tech. In this case the French certification would be somewhat more meaningful than the apple cert.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I'm just trying to let you know it probably isn't the end of the world. An expired cert is unlikely to be that important to a future employer, and if it is, the PDF you have seems sufficient given that it is expired anyway.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
To be fair though, what practical point does Apple have for wiping his certification from their database? The few kilobytes that are required for storing the data is negligible to a company like Apple, and the only reason I can think of for refusing to show previous certifications would be to.... pay Apple more money to get a current one.

The ones that have dealt with do not keep old certifications on file? Most keep your current one and that is it? I hope this isn't another way for you to poke at apple.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Dude, keep contacting Apple, that is all you should do. their policies can change any time regarding certifications and with a good reason. They do not want people with certifications going around without they being sure.

For example, I have an AVID certification from 7 years ago, that was the only time I touched and AVID software but I still certified. Capish?

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I have a similar problem. Got also ACSP 3-4 years ago and don't see any indication on link you mentioned in original posting.

But I don't car that much, because test was really easy and I don't include it in CV.

But anyway keep the thread updated...

j2YjqtFNj4uyQ.png

(Apple ask for Prometric score report details. Years ago I gave all this info - 100% sure)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not into certifications but I've received a number of them over the years. If I got a certification and I let it expire (and honestly, I let all of them expire) and it was relevant to the job I'm applying for, I'd list it on my application and right (expired) after it.

The only place where this could be a potential 'issue' is if the employer is into the DoD certification requirement thang so they want to see certifications to meet DoD requirements.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
This is what I see when I login with my apple id.
The apple id I had the days I gave the test and I took the certification.
appleide.jpg

What does this means? And what am I supposed to do?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

The same can be said of a driver's license - you don't suddenly change identity, or forget how to drive, when your birthday rolls around. But there's the state with their hand out, expecting you to pony up.

I have an engineer's license, we're required to pay renewals annually and show that we've completed our continuing education requirements. I don't see why any other professional certification would be any different.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, any certification worth its weight has an expiration. You often have to either retest or get CPEs to maintain the certification. One of my certifications dropped me after a year for not reporting any CPEs. Most of them will drop you after 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.