Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Hi All,

I am trying to recreate the look of a button by using photoshop styles. I would like to do this just using styles as I have about 200 images that i need to look like this.

This is what im trying to recreate
Icons.png

This is what ive got so far
Home.png

Just wondered if anybody out there could point me in the right direction on how to improve what ive done so far?

Ive also attached the .psd file if anybody whats to have a play for me:D

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Home.psd
    153 KB · Views: 192

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
That technique involves applying Gradient Overlay, Bevel & Emboss, Outer Glow, Drop Shadow to black & white art on a transparent background.

There is no outline applied to the shape. What looks like an outline is the effect of an Outer Glow.

Gradient Overlay, Bevel & Emboss, Outer Glow, Drop Shadow are effects available at the bottom of your Layers Palette.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
sharpness

Use layer effects as per post above.

You've started with a low resolution outline too, which is why your edges are jagged.

Draw them as paths with the pen tool.

chazman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the help.

Have had another play with it and this is what I have come up with now...

House.png

Any pointers on how i might be able to improve it some more.....

The image was a .svg file that I opened in illustrator, then saved it as a .eps. Opened it in photoshop and when asked what size I wanted I chose 200px/200px. Please correct me if im wrong but wouldn't photoshop have rasterised the .eps file so that it should be nice and smooth? Should I be importing the .eps into photoshop in a different way to keep it as a vector?

Many thanks for the advice..

chazman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
To the 3 people who have replied, thanks very much.

To the other 500 odd people who have looked, has nobody got any input what so ever.............

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I love posts that sound pissed off at the people who don't comment.

You got your correct answer from citizenzen, it's just a matter of tweaking till you get the right formula of effects.

Try copy/pasting into Illustrator and make it a smart object to keep a sharper edge, saving as a raster image is always going to muddy your edges a bit though.

chazman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Just to set the record straight, i'm not pissed off, its a free world, nobody has to reply.

I will be the first to say that graphics and design is not my forte, which is why I came here looking for help, and that help I received.

All i'm asking for now is if anybody has any suggestions to make it better, how can I ever improve my skills if I don't ask what people think of the work i've done?

If I came here asking people to do the work for me then I can accept no replies, no-one really want to work for free right. I like to think that if somebody posted on a forum about a topic that I knew about I would offer my help.

Fig, please don't take any if this personally, at least you posted and offered what information you could.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
No offense taken, and your response wasn't really that bad so sorry if I overreacted, just keep in mind that a lot of the folks on this board, particularly in the design and development topics, are working professionals and may not always have time to respond to a topic immediately.

I'll often look at a topic to see what responses have been made and make a mental note to go back and offer a response later if the issue hasn't been solved, or I'll have a solution that I know isn't the best option so I'll wait to post it to see if better advice is offered.

I'd imagine there's lots of other people who might have no idea how to assist you but want to see what help others gave.

All that being said, good luck with your icons :)

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
No offense taken, and your response wasn't really that bad so sorry if I overreacted, just keep in mind that a lot of the folks on this board, particularly in the design and development topics, are working professionals and may not always have time to respond to a topic immediately.

I think we also work under the impression that somebody is looking for direction and wants to go through the learning process to improve their knowledge and technique.

If you're looking for a finished and professional result, then pay a professional to achieve that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.