Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finn mcCool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Verizon is more knowledgable about plan details and I do play to get Applecare. Is there any reason to buy from Apple and take the phone to Verizon to activate?

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
If it were me I would buy from whichever is closer. I've bought from both and haven't seen much of a difference other than the color of the shirts.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
You won't need to take it to Verizon to activate I don't believe, so there is no difference.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
I'd recommend buying from Apple because there is no restocking fee if you change your mind. If you decide the 16GB black is not for you and you want the 64GB white, you'll have to pay $35 (or more) from Verizon...at Apple, you can do a simple swap with no cost to you.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Verizon is more knowledgable about plan details and I do play to get Applecare. Is there any reason to buy from Apple and take the phone to Verizon to activate?

Buy from Apple (if there is a local store near you - warranty issues as a walk in), they treat you better, otherwise, Verizon (if not Apple Store near you).

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
if you can go buy it at apple. i told them my iphone 5 was scuffed out of the box and i wanted to return it or exchange it. they brought out a brand new sealed iphone 5, and they didnt even inspect my original iphone 5 for the scuff. all they checked was the model number on the box and device to make sure it matched.

so they told me its 14 days if you want to exchange it for a different one, but i got 30 days from date of purchase for the full refund.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Buy from Apple (if there is a local store near you - warranty issues as a walk in), they treat you better, otherwise, Verizon (if not Apple Store near you).

They treat you better?? Really? Get your head out of the sand. Every single retail experience will be different whether you're comparing different locations of the same store or different stores altogether. The different companies do not employ robots with varying degrees of kindness/respect etc etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verizon doesn't have a 'try it for 14 (or 30) days' policy and allow you to return it w/no fees? If that's the case, then go to Apple (or radio shack or best buy or..).

Not sure why this question is asked so many times. The phones are the same freaking phones and you're paying the same freaking price. If there's a sale somewhere (pretty much never regarding Apple products) or if a restocking fee applies at place X but not place Y, then it's a no brainer.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
if you can go buy it at apple. i told them my iphone 5 was scuffed out of the box and i wanted to return it or exchange it. they brought out a brand new sealed iphone 5, and they didnt even inspect my original iphone 5 for the scuff. all they checked was the model number on the box and device to make sure it matched.

so they told me its 14 days if you want to exchange it for a different one, but i got 30 days from date of purchase for the full refund.

Excellent point. 30 day return/exchange is worth getting it at an Apple Store to me. Gives more options.

I'd recommend buying from Apple because there is no restocking fee if you change your mind. If you decide the 16GB black is not for you and you want the 64GB white, you'll have to pay $35 (or more) from Verizon...at Apple, you can do a simple swap with no cost to you.

Another good point plus when you buy Apple Care in an Apple Store it's automatically registered. You don't have to lift a finger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.