Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Just a FYI for anyone interested. Australian consumer law dictates that any expensive electronic item can be covered for a "reasonable time" after purchase. Apple Australia have now extended their compulsory statutory warranty from 12 months to 24 months. However, they have been rather quiet about it - even allegedly circulating the new policy to store managers on the condition they don't explicitly publicise it.

New source: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...rranty-switch-under-wraps-20130318-2gahc.html

EDIT: the link to the original article. Credit to Mactalk.com.au - http://www.mactalk.com.au/content/apple-australia-quietly-extends-warranties-24-months-2966/

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
And rightfully so, like in (most countries in) Europe the official warranty is most of the time 1 year and in some countries 2 years but even then you can claim warranty if for instance the Logic board breaks, for expensive stuff a 2-3 year warranty should be standard.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
It's about time Apple was pulled into line. Now the government should push
them on prices now.
What are the ramifications to AppleCare now?

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Well as I see it, Apple Care has suddenly become way more expensive. Essentially paying the same price for 1 additional year of coverage.

Apple could do 2 things:

- halve or drastically reduce Apple Care to a suitable pricing bracket to match the 1 additional year of coverage only, or

- keep Apple Care the same price and maintain 2 years of coverage in addition to the statutory 24 months. Giving a total of 4 years coverage.

Out of the 2 options, the former would possibly be more desirable because extending coverage to 4 years after product purchase may well result in a higher number of warranty claims due to the longer period of coverage.

I guess it comes down to what Apple's warranty data tells them in regards to number of claims or repairs made in relation to age of device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.